The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know this seller : hassan-shoudjae2012?
6 months ago i sell Harry Potter futureshop 7.2 , he claim he never received it so i refund him straight away
but now he got this steel up for sale . Coincidence? ?

he's already on my block list for bidding and not paying for a steel and ignoring all my messages - a time waster. And it was a steel that was bidded nearly a £100 at the time so it was a premium steel. I mentioned this a while a go on this thread and I think another member had a similar problem.

Just block him mate. IMO if someone wins a steel and ignores all messages and does not pay automatically goes on the block list.

he's already on my block list for bidding and not paying for a steel and ignoring all my messages - a time waster. And it was a steel that was bidded nearly a £100 at the time so it was a premium steel. I mentioned this a while a go on this thread and I think another member had a similar problem.

Just block him mate. IMO if someone wins a steel and ignores all messages and does not pay automatically goes on the block list.

You definitely right . Looks like my block list on ebay growing faster than my collection:angry:

Need some advice please

I've just sold a steelbook on eBay Payment came through no problem but buyers address is unconfirmed and is a PO Box. The buyer is from Russia and i only send by Air sure us its tracked and insured, will i still be covered by eBay ive never sent to a PO Box before.

Need some advice please

I've just sold a steelbook on eBay Payment came through no problem but buyers address is unconfirmed and is a PO Box. The buyer is from Russia and i only send by Air sure us its tracked and insured, will i still be covered by eBay ive never sent to a PO Box before.

I would never send to Russia from an Ebay sale

I believe their customs delays are up to 30 days - in the meantime the customer can open a claim and get the cash back.

Reactions: karl01
hey Karl - FYI on items to Russia.

Insurance only lasts until the plane lands in Russia. There is no carrier that I've seen that will insure the item once it leaves the plane and in transit to it's destination.

Now having said that, I have worked with megabee on this forum before and we've never had an issue.

But shipping to a forum member is completely different than ebay, IMO.

I've added this ebayer to the block list: imra_uk2014

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/imra_uk2014

Looks like the bidder is messing around with bids and probably not paying for them. On his feedback the seller stated he changed his mind and cancelled the transaction. When I cancelled the bid it showed his maximum bid was £99 on a steel that was bidding about £30! Obviously goofing around!

Hey guys ! have a question: buyer from eBay ask me to sent steelbook to different address (from his paypal account)-should I do it ?

Hi guys, Is the maximum you are able to claim via RM for a lost parcel through 1st class recorded £49/50, is it limited? Even if you are able to prove what value you have posted?.

Hi guys, Is the maximum you are able to claim via RM for a lost parcel through 1st class recorded £49/50, is it limited? Even if you are able to prove what value you have posted?.

On your RM receipt it should say something along the lines of "covers value up to.." So it'd be up to you to prove how much it was, but there is normally a maximum they'll pay out in each band.."

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/sending-mail

Check above, see the type of post you sent it as and look at the FAQ at
4. Can I claim compensation if my item is damaged or not delivered?

It differs from item to item and from service to service. So be sure to have a look

Edit: For as long as it says on the receipt "covers up to £50" that it all it covers you for unfortunately. In order to cover more expensive items, you need to increase how much you pay for postage

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Hey guys ! have a question: buyer from eBay ask me to sent steelbook to different address (from his paypal account)-should I do it ?

Your best bet is to query him/her straight away as to why they want a different address. Once they have replied you could always contact Ebay and let them know. They will then take action accordingly.

My advice is, always post to the address on Paypal/Ebay. Not by word of mouth as people can quite easily make bids on other people's accounts or pay for something using someone elses paypal but obviously want the item sent directly to them.

Last edited:
On your RM receipt it should say something along the lines of "covers value up to.." So it'd be up to you to prove how much it was, but there is normally a maximum they'll pay out in each band.."

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/sending-mail

Check above, see the type of post you sent it as and look at the FAQ at
4. Can I claim compensation if my item is damaged or not delivered?

It differs from item to item and from service to service. So be sure to have a look

Edit: For as long as it says on the receipt "covers up to £50" that it all it covers you for unfortunately. In order to cover more expensive items, you need to increase how much you pay for postage

Thank you, first item i've ever had go missing and i had no idea how basic the 'tracked' service was or how useless RM customer support were, thanks for the reply and lesson learned. Insurance all the way now.
Cheers.

Reactions: KD Scorp

I would provided the shipping address is within the UK. If overseas I would get a letter of consent from the buyer that he/she won't hold me responsible for any non-delivery.

Few more non-payers:

white3joe - Won an auction on 19/01/2014. Asked me to wait until 30/01/2014 for payment. Waited until 01/02/2014 but in vain.

h0d0r - Won an auction on 19/01/2014. Never paid until yesterday.

juans0217 - Won an auction on 02/02/2014. Asked me to cancel the purchase as his son messed around with the mobile which is completely acceptable. However until now the buyer has not accepted the cancellation despite repeated requests.

I never open unpaid case to be on the safe side. However I do ask buyers to cancel the transaction if they are not interested. I usually give buyers 7 days for payment. eBay advised me to open unpaid case once 3 days has passed and not to be so generous to buyers. :dunno:

Reactions: morfeusz

You can request increased insurance when posting.

Just as an example of costs, I've just sent 2 SBs to Austria (large box), with increase insurance of £100 - International Signed For - Cost £14.30

Just remember you can only claim what you paid for it and not what it is worth.

I.e. say you bought Rush for £20 and sold it for £40

if it got lost you could only claim £20