The first ever steelbook?

I think the Halo 2 SteelBook came out about 2 weeks before the Killzone one. So would that be the UK's first video game SteelBook?

Despite many people's misconceptions about this release, Halo 2 was NOT a SteelBook. Same applies to Doom 3 and Perfect Dark Zero

For DVD I think it was the US Terminator 2, 2nd release (it had a specific name to it like Extreme edition or something like that) as the 1st release was a slide on/off cover metal cover

Perfect Dark Zero & Halo 2 might be right for the Xbox

Blu-ray the 1st one's I saw in the UK was Sweeney Todd & Halo Wars

I own all of the above

Last edited:
Perfect Dark Zero & Halo 2 might be right for the Xbox

Perfect Dark Zero (X360) and Halo 2 (Xbox) were indeed the first tins released for their respective systems, but are NOT SteelBooks!

These tins have plastic inserts that protrude around the rim and are visible from the outside, whereas the plastic inserts for SteelBooks are fully contained inside. SteelBooks also have a different concave shape around the opening, plus a slightly different length plastic spine compared to the tins mentioned above

I am guessing here but I a pretty sure that it was Die Hard 4.0 as it was known over in the UK.

You're miles out! There were already dozens of SteelBooks already released by the time Die Hard 4.0 was released on Dvd. The FOX / MGM Definitive Editions were already available, as were the Cinema Reserve series.

Die Hard 4.0 was released late 2007. The FOX / MGM Definitive Edition SteelBooks were also released in 2007, several months before.

Dvd SteelBooks existed from 2004 / 2005 onwards

Last edited:
I contacted Scanavo and the confirmed that the first ever Steelbook was Killzone. The person I spoke to believed it was back in 2005. But like Heche1981 said, November 26th 2004 is probably the more accurate date (nearly 2005).

I was more interested in adventure games and strategy games back then, so I didn't have any interest in Killzone. But that edition's got to be worth more than a few bucks today. Especially if it's sealed and in mint condition.

Reactions: Heche1981
Is Wanted UK worth much then if its blu ray steelbook number 2? Can't see many on eBay besides the rarer German ones

It's been long out of print, and has been quite difficult to get hold of since a few weeks after release. I don't recall seeing many about at the time that Gladiator was released.

Those first handful of multi-retailer releases are all quite hard to find these days, especially if you want a brand new sealed copy, as they don't appear very often on eBay

Last edited:
Hey all for informational sake ....

@Heche1981 @dfoles @manonfire

the first steelbook ever was Killzone as mentioned for ps2

The first MOVIE steelbook is Hero (Jet Li movie) on DVD
The first Blu-ray SteelBook was Pans Labyrinth Germany
Thanks, someone posed this question on Reddit today. I only had 2 of those 3.

Did they start Blu-rays with G2 or did they start G1 and eventually go G2?

G2. North America did a lot of G1 still because that factory at the time only did g1

@Wreck time to drag this old thread out again. Do you know what the first ever Premium SteelBook release was? Or do we have a timeline for when the Premium companies started up?

@Wreck time to drag this old thread out again. Do you know what the first ever Premium SteelBook release was? Or do we have a timeline for when the Premium companies started up?
Depends what you define as premium. Before slipboxes quarter slips were all the rage.

if a WEA ... some started w a wea w no slipbox ... ie real steel Metalbox blufans. Then when steel ... let the bullets fly

Depends what you define as premium. Before slipboxes quarter slips were all the rage.

if a WEA ... some started w a wea w no slipbox ... ie real steel Metalbox blufans. Then when steel ... let the bullets fly
I would say a release that came with some sort of slipcover and art cards or something. WEA optional.

I would say a release that came with some sort of slipcover and art cards or something. WEA optional.
With simply art cards perhaps too hard to trace back simply because the plastic inside has always had those 2 clips ... and im sure someone likely utilized it and it was something minimal that perhaps no one cared about ...

I would think its more about the transition from a steel adding a slipcover. I know early on i was always trying to get Scanavo to offer the service but they were always against it. As in meetings with studios they are /were always selling the premium case and what it does for the consumer/buyer ... so they viewed it like, "oh and btw hide it with this paper slipcover" ... not a good selling point for them. Rightfully so as one of the key points is that it stood out on a shelf vs. other items ... obviously they do this now having started with Mondo X ... but there were still even a few plastic pet slips before mondo x. Like German Sherlock holmes which is amazing due to smoke effect on slip.

Anyhow .. I know one of the earlier ones, and many of the earlier ones were the taiwan steels. They were all the rage with the 1/4 slips , then transitioned to slipcovers. Gladiator taiwan was one of the first i remember having the slip

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles