UK
Release date: May 25th, 2016
Purchase links:
Amazon.fr
fnac.com
Price: EUR 22.99

1507-1.jpg

Last edited:
Not sayin I don't like Sam but I'd prefer John Ruth on the front (kurt).
That tash, hat and coat deserves it

I wonder if we will see different art popping up for this realease in other territories. A few WEA's

Last edited:
as long as fnac don´t do that **** they did with sin city 2, left me and @Asopp screwed when they changed it so that the fnac exclusive was only sold instore and not online

I like the artwork ... it will match Django's for sure. I haven't watch the movie yet, so I can't wait to order a copy. I will wait to see if Australia will get a steelbook release first tho.Thanks OP!

This is being released by M6. On the plus side, this means that forced French subtitles are unlikely. The downside is that the spine faces the wrong way for us Anglo-Saxons and it won't have any inside artwork, unless M6 has changed how it does things since its last Steelbook release.

What makes this particular release a no-go for me, however, is its use of the French title, "Les 8 Salopards" ("The 8 Bastards") which isn't even a direct translation of the film's original English title. I assume that this title was used in order to connect with Tarantino's earlier "Inglourious Basterds" which was released in France with its original English title intact.

Why couldn't they have just stuck with "The Hateful Eight"? If M6 felt that its customer base wouldn't grasp the significance of the '8' in the title then they could have gone with the film's alternative English title, "The H8ful Eight".

Fortunately, the film has been licensed by TWC (The Weinstein Company) to a number of different companies worldwide for domestic release in their own territories. It seems likely, therefore, that Steelbook collectors will be spoilt for choice for this particular film.

PS @Bunk On previous occasions you have been kind enough to offer an insight into why particular titles have been altered or translated for their release in France. I'd be grateful if you could do likewise for this one.

• Informative
Reactions: Bunk and ty233
Hey @augustus :).

If M6 felt that its customer base wouldn't grasp the significance of the '8' in the title then they could have gone with the film's alternative English title, "The H8ful Eight".

You're thinking of it with a English point of view ;): if French people see the word "H8ful", their first thought will not be 'eight' for '8', they'll be thinking 'huit' (= eight in French), thus there's even more confusion.

One theory i have for the translated title is like often, it comes down to pronunciation. I'm saying the title in my head with a thick French accent and yes, you will find many people not really familiar with the English language who will pronounce "hate" the same way as "eight". It could be tricky to remember and/or say it when you are at the box office asking for a ticket.

I don't think it's got something to do with Inglorious Basterds. As you said, Inglorious Basterds was released as Inglorious Basterds in France. Of course people know Tarantino for that great film, but no one will make the connection between the English word "Basterds" and the french word "Salopards", other than they're both insults.

By the way, "bastard" is a lot friendlier in English than "bâtard" in French, in my view/experience at least... "you magnificent bastard" is okay in English, not its French translation :D ; "mon salaud" conveys the same friendliness - and "salaud" is kind of related to "salopard" (the feminine version of "salaud" is "salope").

The literal translation for "hateful" is "haineux". But Les 8 Haineux doesn't sound good.

But interestingly, the 1960 western The Magnificent Seven was released as Les Sept Mercenaires in France ("The Seven Mercenaries"), and also interestingly, the 1967 war film The Dirty Dozen was released in France as "Les Douze Salopards" (= The Twelve Basterds) :watch:. So Tarantino may have made a reference to these films with his title, and the French title translated it just like we did back in the 60s for those two influencial war/western films.

On an unrelated note, I've seen people refer to the UK/German Sicario steelbook as having the WWA art. It's not WWA, and the French steelbook isn't WWA either, there's no WWA possible for that film, it just happens Lionsgate exists in Germany and they could share the steelbook run, but there's no Lionsgate in France — Metropolitan picks up many of their releases, including Sicario and Hunger Games, also getting an upcoming Metropolitan steelbook with art that is different from the UK release (I mean there's no Mockingjay I & II combo planned for elsewhere, amazon.co.uk has a complete series steelbook though). Universal, Warner, Paramount have French branches, StudioCanal also shares steelbook print runs between UK and France for new films (Shaun the Sheep, Paddington, Macbeth), but not Lionsgate :).

EDIT : There's a great article (in French) about the fact that for the first time with a Tarantino film, the title is translated. It confirms my reasoning about the referencial title not to Inglorious Basterds but to the big ancien westerns. They see the literal translation of "Hateful Eight" as "Huit Odieux" (not "Huit Haineux" like I said before, I guess both are equally not very compelling for a film title). Also the article mentions that Tarantino's films bounce around between distributors: all of his films until Death Proof were distributed by TF1, but Inglorious was with Universal France, Django was with Sony, and now H8ful is with M6 for the DVD/Blu-ray market (SND for the big screen, and the article says they paid a pretty penny for the rights).

Last edited:
Hey @augustus :).

You're thinking of it with a English point of view ;): if French people see the word "H8ful", their first thought will not be 'eight' for '8', they'll be thinking 'huit' (= eight in French), thus there's even more confusion.

One theory i have for the translated title is like often, it comes down to pronunciation. I'm saying the title in my head with a thick French accent and yes, you will find many people not really familiar with the English language who will pronounce "hate" the same way as "eight". It could be tricky to remember and/or say it when you are at the box office asking for a ticket.

I don't think it's got something to do with Inglorious Basterds. As you said, Inglorious Basterds was released as Inglorious Basterds in France. Of course people know Tarantino for that great film, but no one will make the connection between the English word "Basterds" and the french word "Salopards", other than they're both insults.

By the way, "bastard" is a lot friendlier in English than "bâtard" in French, in my view/experience at least... "you magnificent bastard" is okay in English, not its French translation :D ; "mon salaud" conveys the same friendliness - and "salaud" is kind of related to "salopard" (the feminine version of "salaud" is "salope").

The literal translation for "hateful" is "haineux". But Les 8 Haineux doesn't sound good.

But interestingly, the 1960 western The Magnificent Seven was released as Les Sept Mercenaires in France ("The Seven Mercenaries"), and also interestingly, the 1967 war film The Dirty Dozen was released in France as "Les Douze Salopards" (= The Twelve Basterds) :watch:. So Tarantino may have made a reference to these films with his title, and the French title translated it just like we did back in the 60s for those two influencial war/western films.

On an unrelated note, I've seen people refer to the UK/German Sicario steelbook as having the WWA art. It's not WWA, and the French steelbook isn't WWA either, there's no WWA possible for that film, it just happens Lionsgate exists in Germany and they could share the steelbook run, but there's no Lionsgate in France — Metropolitan picks up many of their releases, including Sicario and Hunger Games, also getting an upcoming Metropolitan steelbook with art that is different from the UK release (I mean there's no Mockingjay I & II combo planned for elsewhere, amazon.co.uk has a complete series steelbook though). Universal, Warner, Paramount have French branches, StudioCanal also shares steelbook print runs between UK and France for new films (Shaun the Sheep, Paddington, Macbeth), but not Lionsgate :).

EDIT : There's a great article (in French) about the fact that for the first time with a Tarantino film, the title is translated. It confirms my reasoning about the referencial title not to Inglorious Basterds but to the big ancien westerns. They see the literal translation of "Hateful Eight" as "Huit Odieux" (not "Huit Haineux" like I said before, I guess both are equally not very compelling for a film title). Also the article mentions that Tarantino's films bounce around between distributors: all of his films until Death Proof were distributed by TF1, but Inglorious was with Universal France, Django was with Sony, and now H8ful is with M6 for the DVD/Blu-ray market (SND for the big screen, and the article says they paid a pretty penny for the rights).

@Bunk I knew I could rely on you. Thanks for the comprehensive and insightful response to my question. Much appreciated.

Perhaps I could now direct you to the thread for the forthcoming French Steelbook release of "Black Mass", where I have questioned Warner's decision to change the title to "Strictly Criminal" for the French market. I'd be interested to read your take on that.

Reactions: Bunk