Release date: November 9th, 2015
Purchase link: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Price: £14.99

11164121-1454321549424574.jpg

11164121-1144321549430172.jpg

Its OK Film but not a patch on the TV series
TV series = Classic
Film version is not in the same league

I will most likely order but will wait for a price drop after release if that happens
Its not bad but I would like to see the TV series get a Blu-ray release and a Steelbook
The books, the tv series, and the movie are all based on the radio series. (yes, the books came AFTER the radio series). And NONE of them top the radio series.
(Check out the book DON'T PANIC: the complete guide. It was written by Neil Gaiman- it was his first book!)

The books, the tv series, and the movie are all based on the radio series. (yes, the books came AFTER the radio series). And NONE of them top the radio series.
(Check out the book DON'T PANIC: the complete guide. It was written by Neil Gaiman- it was his first book!)

The radio series is awesome

Reactions: Obi Wan Dandobi
The film is okay; but not a patch on the BBC TV series. and sorry folks, but far too American.

The Babel fish perform instant language translations.

This is what Marvin is supposed to look like. Seen here with Ford Prefect (left) and Arthur Dent (middle)
Marvin_meets_Ford_and_Arthur.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .and the Galaxy is narrated by the marvellous Peter Jones :)

Reactions: Obi Wan Dandobi
It's okay; but not a patch on the BBC TV series.

The Babel fish perform instant language translations.

This is what Marvin is supposed to look like. Seen here with Ford Prefect (left) and Arthur Dent (middle)View attachment 184842

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .and the Universe is narrated by the marvellous Peter Jones :)
Peter Jones was "The Book" in every iteration of H2G2 until his death.

H2G2 is kinda a really weird bird. The original radio show was it's own thing. Then they recorded the scripted radio show for LP- and they changed some of the story on that version. Then Douglas wrote the first 2 books- and expanded things and changed things that were different from the Radio shows AND the LPs. Then they adapted the books into the TV show- where they changed a few things!
So it really behooves a Douglas Adams Fan, and a H2G2 fan to own ALL these iterations- because they are all different and equally great!
The movie is kind of amusing- but was really doomed from the start, because it is almost an unadaptable property for a feature film. Just WAY too much story to cover in 2 hours!
But I though Martin Freeman was great casting. I was horrified by the casting of Mos Def as my beloved Ford Prefect. I liked Sam Rockwell as Zaphod. I have no idea why they pictured Marvin as a little droid.
(Even in my mind's eye with the radio show, or the books- I NEVER pictured him as a midget robot).
All in all, I wasn't depressed by the movie (no Marvin pun intended) - I had no high hopes for it from the get go.
So no expectations to dash.
P.S. the radio cast was aces, and just couldn't be beat. Carrying over Simon Jones to the TV show was a good thing. Just a few years ago the BBC had an anniversary concert where all the living H2G2 radio cast got together and redid the whole part 1 & 2 (hitchhiker & restaurant at the end of the universe).
You can buy it. It's great!:thumbs::D

I haven't seen this film in a long time, but I don't really think it left much of an impression on me.
The art choice seems a bit dull, hopefully this isn't compounded by B&W inner artwork.

Sorry but if it wasn't soley Marvin on the front I wouldn't buy it, that's the only reason I'm buying this as I already own it. The art is coooool [emoji41] certainly wouldn't get this if they put Freeman on the front, his personal politics have greatly put me off him as an actor.

If this turns out to be gloss this will look stunning [emoji41] [emoji7]

Yeah it wouldn't be Martin Freeman on the front it would be Arthur in a sense. I don't really care what the actor thinks about politics

Arthur, Marvin, Trillian, Zaphod Beeblebrox....they all deserve to be on there because having a picture of just Marvin with a white background (which end up being silver) along with a small, single logo on the back is lazy whatever way you look at it.

It's a space adventure...the Steelbook should be colourful

Its listed on Zavvi facebook going live from midday
It was meant to be from noon
Which means any time after noon so its still possible to be live today and just waiting for the Zavvi staff to make live

Last edited: