The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: APRIL 2015
Purchase link: in store only
Price: £17-18 (TBC)
Group Buy: Naughtius Maximus < click (UK instore purchase only)

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning to anyone considering it: Xtra-Vision are sending them out in flimsy card mailers. Both my copies arrived scratched and dented. Sadly, this is not going to be a viable option of acquiring HMV titles unless they improve the packaging.
HMV's packaging was never great, but then neither was any other online retailer's back then. If they plan to up their steelbook game online, then hopefully they'll upgrade their packaging sooner or later. Who remembers the good ol' days of receiving their HMV steels in one of these?

*Not my photo*
hmv.jpg

No sign of my Hobbit steel from XV UK yet, but my Zavvi Avengers steel still hasn't turned up yet either, so I think Mr Grumpy (aka my postman) is probably avoiding me again. :sour:

Did you forget the play.com packaging?

IMG_0430.JPG
Those were definitely the better days for us steelbook collectors. This is is an HMV thread though mate. ;)

My Hobbit steel just arrived without damage... it was sent from Newry in Northern Ireland, yet somehow it still arrived before Zavvi's Avengers steel, which was despatched a day before this and is being sent from England to my address in England. o_O

Reactions: harry
Warning to anyone considering it: Xtra-Vision are sending them out in flimsy card mailers. Both my copies arrived scratched and dented. Sadly, this is not going to be a viable option of acquiring HMV titles unless they improve the packaging.
The Packaging why not ideal is the same packaging the HMV have always used
Its no different to when HMV UK online store shipped steelbooks in the past before it shut down

HMV have only had very small number of steelbook exclusives overall compared to other retailers and most customers purchased instore in the past especially in the UK

I have pre ordered online in the past with HMV UK
1)Amazing Spider-Man
2)Batman Dark knight rises
Both of these were shipped in cardboard mailers

The packaging HMV Ireland and Xtra-Vision used is the same as before that HMV UK have always used and I doubt they will use anything different unless they start having lot of steelbook exclusives

So far I have not received any damaged steelbooks from HMV even though the packaging is not great

If they start to have lot more exclusives I will contact them with suggestions for packaging but I cant see them doing anything unless the range of steelbook exclusives increases a lot

Last edited:
I'm annoyed that it has 3D on the spine, which was not shown in any placeholder pictures as far as I know. So now it doesn't match the other two I have :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Also there's a 3D sticker on the front, which could be a problem if you take it off and then sell the steelbook at a later date.

I'm annoyed that it has 3D on the spine, which was not shown in any placeholder pictures as far as I know. So now it doesn't match the other two I have :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Also there's a 3D sticker on the front, which could be a problem if you take it off and then sell the steelbook at a later date.
3D logo is always on the spine with Warner Steelbooks that have a 3D Disc so that was always going to be there

The removable sticker on the front is a great idea as it gives you choice

Reactions: jonnie123
3D logo is always on the spine with Warner Steelbooks that have a 3D Disc so that was always going to be there

The removable sticker on the front is a great idea as it gives you choice

OK, thanks. Does anyone know the easiest way to get one without the 3D logo. It looks like the Scandinavian version and Czech version would be ok but I don't know how to obtain one in the UK? Are there any group buys for these versions?

My Hobbit steel just arrived without damage... it was sent from Newry in Northern Ireland, yet somehow it still arrived before Zavvi's Avengers steel, which was despatched a day before this and is being sent from England to my address in England. o_O

i thought all zavvi stock came thru the channel islands and thats why it takes longer.

basil :thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles
OK, thanks. Does anyone know the easiest way to get one without the 3D logo. It looks like the Scandinavian version and Czech version would be ok but I don't know how to obtain one in the UK? Are there any group buys for these versions?
Scandinavian and Czech Republic steelbooks has 3D on the spine
Its Warner all 3D versions have 3D on the spine with warner steelbooks

Its only the 2D steelbooks that don't

Last edited:
HMV's packaging was never great, but then neither was any other online retailer's back then. If they plan to up their steelbook game online, then hopefully they'll upgrade their packaging sooner or later. Who remembers the good ol' days of receiving their HMV steels in one of these?

*Not my photo*
View attachment 154075

No sign of my Hobbit steel from XV UK yet, but my Zavvi Avengers steel still hasn't turned up yet either, so I think Mr Grumpy (aka my postman) is probably avoiding me again. :sour:

Those boxes were surprisingly good. When I was living in the Philippines my copy of Drive disappeared on its way from UK to Cebu. It turned up 5 months later in perfect condition with postal stamps from Bogata Colombia, Panama City Panama, Lima Peru and Sydney Australia. If it can travel halfway around the globe unscathed these boxes can't be that bad.

Reactions: Noodles

For Desolation of Smaug I ordered the Mexican version, It didn't have 3D on the front as it was the 2D only version (with a DVD). It was about £10 delivered to the UK from Sanborns. Hopefully they will have something similar for Battle of the Five Armies

• Helpful Post
Reactions: ChrisIW