The "I Hate Eco-Friendly" Cases thread!

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Do you hate these? If so chime in!

They make it feel sooo cheap. I hate buying some new release costing me $15-25 only to get some half ass cut up case.

I recycle and do a bunch of green things, but physical media all in itself isnt green and the world is going "demand and streaming" and things of this nature. So if I already buy physical media to hold in my hand, that's what i want to do!

I want to hold it without the stupid fear that my finger may bash through the cover art cause of stupid holes on the other side.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh time to go chop a tree down!

/end rant!

I love being green. I love being eco friendly. I love hybrid cars... But I HATE those F**KING cases!

They're so cheap feeling and it's SUPER easy to destroy the artwork...

Besides the cases are made from plastic, which is made from oil. They're certainly not concerned with how much of that they suck from the ground. They're just being cheap!

I also hate eco cases. Especially the Viva eco cases. I notice most floaters are in those cases as well. I don't mind the Vortex cases. Atleast there no holes in those cases.

I'm surprise that the UK and other countries don't have these cases yet.

Here are more pics of the two eco cases.

Viva
100_2758.jpg

Vortex
100_2759.jpg

Reactions: Wreck
I despise these things!!!!

I'm all for a greener initiative, but we arent throwing these cases away (like we do water or soda bottles) so does it really make that much of a difference? I hate it when it messes up the god dang cover :angry: :angry: :angry:

I haven't seen any here in Canada and I thought we were WAY ahead of the US when it came to recycling. I couldn't believe when I was in Florida last year that they expected me to throw my bottles and cans directly in the garbage, haha.

Reactions: jefXfree
I'd be perfectly fine if these cases were done away with.
I would think that it costs less to manufacture these, since less plastic is used, but are those costs passed down to the consumer? Probably not. If I'm not saving any money, I'd rather focus on the environment in different areas than the blu ray cases I purchase! :angry:

I hate them stupid cases also hate the fact that they come with a big white security alarm inside impossible to peel off the black alarm comes off really easy.
I am glad the uk doesnt go over to these but alot of my films comes from usa so i have to replace them.
The best usa cases are the ones with a folding clip at the side.

Nah the old school cases with etched silver logo are the best. :)

I also liked these ...

!B714!ZwCWk~$(KGrHqIOKpQEy+jCyCRJBM1,bkzfvQ~~0_35.JPG

just a printed logo.

Last edited:
Yeah, those fuckers drive me nuts. I think the first one I ever got was the Predator BD I purchased maybe 2 yrs ago.

I think my fav cases are the Vortex. I don't like the extra flap thing, but I just discovered you can fold them in permanently, which is nice (yeah, I was slow catching on to that one). But I like the embossed, silver-foiled BD logo and the release button for the discs is the best one I've encountered.

New Blu-ray Case??

This may look like a regular 2 disc blu-ray case but don't be fooled. I guess Viva decided to make a new "space saver" 4 disc blu-ray case. That's right, I said 4 disc. Instead of having the extra thick case with the hinge in the middle, now the discs can be stacked on top of each other on both sides of the case. I got this new case with my copy of Fox and the Hound. This is definitely a lame idea. Again, thanks to Viva for making a wonderful case :rolleyes: The same company that makes those damn eco "friendly" cases with holes.

100_3070.jpg

100_3071.jpg

Yeah that DOES suck. I always replace the eco cases now ... anyone ever looking for cheap eco cases?