The Lighthouse (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

zeebeer

(<>____<>)
Premium Supporter
Apr 3, 2020
The Netherlands/Finland
Release date: November 30, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on October 24 at 12 PM for Red Carpet, at 6 PM for general sale - UK Time)
Price: £17.99

12716005-1744809812716914.jpg

12716005-1094809813045213.jpg 12716005-1164809812850705.jpg 12716005-7824809812804730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also could someone tell me if the current blu Ray fills the screen from top to bottom or is is even more cropped and centralised within four black bars? I really hope it does fill up as much of the screen as possible for impact. I remember watching Blair witch at the cinema and it was a tiny squarish image on a huge screen. Absolutely terrible movie coupled with unrealistically bad filming made me feel sick. Off topic but such a great idea wasted.

The BW film crew were not in the woods with high end gear.

Great movie with great marketing.

Reactions: zeebeer
Well all directors are photographers ultimately. They try to put their vision onto film. The best known perfectionist is Kubrick obviously but I can assure you every director wants the photography perfect. There would be no point in story boarding, or preparation if you just picked up a camera and shot. The result would be you’ve been framed. Every shot in the lighthouse would have been pre planned trust me. I’m not trying to put down the film in any way. Looking forward to this steelbook for sure. Just wish they’d release a uhd now. The director wanted a certain look and that’s what they’ve gone for. Looks amazing from what I’ve seen. Can anyone answer my top to bottom framing question from the current blu Ray.

Also could someone tell me if the current blu Ray fills the screen from top to bottom or is is even more cropped and centralised within four black bars? I really hope it does fill up as much of the screen as possible for impact. I remember watching Blair witch at the cinema and it was a tiny squarish image on a huge screen. Absolutely terrible movie coupled with unrealistically bad filming made me feel sick. Off topic but such a great idea wasted.
I don't own the blu ray but I read in a blu ray review that there are only black bars at the sides, if I remember correctly. Don't take my word for it.

@Retro Parrot Instead of going back and forth with us, I suggest google the stuff around filming and the gear of The Lighthouse. Plenty of stuff from the makers them selves.
Yes I’ve read all that thanks. I’ve done a lot of b & W processing myself so am familiar. That’s what drew my eye to this. I’ve never seen the witch either so will be checking that one out too

Reactions: zeebeer
Yes I’ve read all that thanks. I’ve done a lot of b & W processing myself so am familiar. That’s what drew my eye to this. I’ve never seen the witch either so will be checking that one out too

Love that one too. Have amaray with slipcover.

I'm no pro, not even amateur. Just fan. But cool to change opinions and BTW - welcome to the forum ... ! :thumbs:

Reactions: jailbird_joey
Love that one too. Have amaray with slipcover.

I'm no pro, not even amateur. Just fan. But cool to change opinions and BTW - welcome to the forum ... ! :thumbs:
Thanks. I only recently started collecting steels when the 4K took off. We’re finally starting to get the versions we want. Ordered saint maud too. Risky but looks good

I guess we're "wrong" then @BluSteel2012. Shame on us for having our own opinion! :p
Yeah in case you forgot this is a public discussion forum so obviously having an own opinion is strictly forbidden :p:rofl:

In all seriousness, nobody's wrong or right here, if you don't like the aspect ratio you don't like the aspect ratio and if you do, you do.

I guess we're "wrong" then @BluSteel2012. Shame on us for having our own opinion! :p

You sounded like a right old grandad in that post calling it a new trend and mentioning Instagram :LOL:. It’s just a creative choice like found footage style, adds to the atmosphere and story. Literally a handful of modern films are like it. Tbh I can only think of this and mommy in the last few years. Not sure id call it a “trend”. Maybe some really obscure unknown low budget foreign films too but Not sure

Maybe this sticks out more to people because it’s also b&w. It does have a seriously old school feel to it. Kinda like a Obscure experimental silent film In a way. It’s certainly Not for everyone. I thought I was going to hate it but I went the complete opposite way with it

You sounded like a right old grandad in that post calling it a new trend and mentioning Instagram :LOL:. It’s just a creative choice like found footage style, adds to the atmosphere and story. Literally a handful of modern films are like it. Tbh I can only think of this and mommy in the last few years. Not sure id call it a “trend”. Maybe some really obscure unknown low budget foreign films too but Not sure

Maybe this sticks out more to people because it’s also b&w. It does have a seriously old school feel to it. Kinda like a Obscure experimental silent film In a way. It’s certainly Not for everyone. I thought I was going to hate it but I went the complete opposite way with it
Knew you'd bite. :p

Haha I honestly feel more and more like a grandad most days, so I suppose it's only right that I start talking like one lol.

I don't care what the reasoning is behind it any hoo... I'm simply not a fan of it being used in this day and age. Same goes for the b&w trend too.

As for the film itself... I went in expecting to love it and came out half asleep. :yawn:

Knew you'd bite. :p

Haha I honestly feel more and more like a grandad most days, so I suppose it's only right that I start talking like one lol.

I don't care what the reasoning is behind it any hoo... I'm simply not a fan of it being used in this day and age. Same goes for the b&w trend too.

As for the film itself... I went in expecting to love it and came out half asleep. :yawn:

I didn’t bite bite. Like your post didn’t trigger me at all. But the trend and insta comment did make me chuckle.

Some films I don’t understand why they are black and white like the mad max chrome and even parasite tbh. That seems to be a trend. Especially films that were originally rather vibrant in colour And then re released as b&w. However the Logan noir worked well imo. Made it a different film to me but I don’t get why they did it to mad max. The only real black and white films i like are Angel A and sin city tbh.

but the reasoning behind the creative choices for the lighthouse are literally part of the film and story telling. The ratio is supposed to create a claustrophobic and eerie atmosphere and the black and white is to help with its psychological horror side and the age they live in. I genuinely don’t think it would have the same feel if it was in colour.

I remember really looking forward to this but thinking I wasn’t going to like it. But it did it for me. I’ve only seen it once though and I’m looking forward to seeing it again at some point

Reactions: Shark
I didn’t bite bite. Like your post didn’t trigger me at all. But the trend and insta comment did make me chuckle.

Some films I don’t understand why they are black and white like the mad max chrome and even parasite tbh. That seems to be a trend. Especially films that were originally rather vibrant in colour And then re released as b&w. However the Logan noir worked well imo. Made it a different film to me but I don’t get why they did it to mad max. The only real black and white films i like are Angel A and sin city tbh.

but the reasoning behind the creative choices for the lighthouse are literally part of the film and story telling. The ratio is supposed to create a claustrophobic and eerie atmosphere and the black and white are to help with its psychological horror side and the age they live in. I genuinely don’t think it would have the same feel if it was in colour.

I remember looking forward to this but thinking I wasn’t going to like it. But it did it for me. I’ve only seen it once though and I’m looking forward to seeing it again at some point
Mad Max was black & white because George Miller wanted the series to be B&W since he saw a rough copy of Mad Mad 2 in B&W. During post-production he had a meeting with a composer who only had access to a cheap print and he loved the look of it, he mentioned it in the audio commentary for Mad Max 2. He asked his editor about it for Fury Road and they liked the look of it.

I really don't see the issue.