The Lighthouse (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

zeebeer

(<>____<>)
Premium Supporter
Apr 3, 2020
The Netherlands/Finland
Release date: November 30, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on October 24 at 12 PM for Red Carpet, at 6 PM for general sale - UK Time)
Price: £17.99

12716005-1744809812716914.jpg

12716005-1094809813045213.jpg 12716005-1164809812850705.jpg 12716005-7824809812804730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mad Max was black & white because George Miller wanted the series to be B&W since he saw a rough copy of Mad Mad 2 in B&W. During post-production he had a meeting with a composer who only had access to a cheap print and he loved the look of it, he mentioned it in the audio commentary for Mad Max 2. He asked his editor about it for Fury Road and they liked the look of it.

I really don't see the issue.

My point is the black and white fury road came years after the vibrant colourful original version. And it’s use of colour in that film is spectacular. Even at night. The chrome version is utterly pointless imo.

Even though I defend Logan noir it’s still utterly pointless. But the original is much less rich in colour compared to fury road so b&w Logan is less weird and pointless to me compared to MM chrome

Also that reasoning is odd. Because he mentioned it in a audio commentary, If he wanted the mad max films in black and white then fair enough but he only did it to fury road.... the most colourful and currently the last in the mad max series.

it’s like if they went back and made x men first class or the last stand in b&w. Probably the 2 most colourful films in the x men series

My point is the black and white fury road came years after the vibrant colourful original version. And it’s use of colour in that film is spectacular. Even at night. The chrome version is utterly pointless imo.

Even though I defend Logan noir it’s still utterly pointless. But the original is much less rich in colour compared to fury road so b&w Logan is less weird and pointless to me compared to MM chrome

Also that reasoning is odd. Because he mentioned it in a audio commentary, If he wanted the mad max films in black and white then fair enough but he only did it to fury road.... the most colourful and currently the last in the mad max series.

it’s like if they went back and made x men first class or the last stand in b&w. Probably the 2 most colourful films in the x men series
The point is Miller thinks it looks better, it's what he wanted.

It's optional, you don't have to watch it.

Again, I don't see the issue.

Complaining about something you don't have to watch.

The point is Miller thinks it looks better, it's what he wanted.

It's optional, you don't have to watch it.

Again, I don't see the issue.

Complaining about something you don't have to watch.
Well I'd rather watch this in colour and in widescreen. But I don't really have much of a choice! :naughty:

No 4K UHD release in any country
Blu-ray and DVD releases only
And I guess if the director wants you to feel it was shot in the 30's there won't be one.

Releasing this in 4K would be pointless as (A. it would drastically alter the tone and defeat his point. And (B. not utilise the technology to the extent of what it was actually created for......!

4K done properly will always improve the image because of the wider range of tones. Because the movie was shot on film the extra detail is already there.blacks are black, whites are white with more range between. Blu Ray is much more limited compared. 4K wouldn’t impair directors vision just show it off. Try watching schindlers list on 4K then swap to the blu ray. The picture is very flat on blu ray compared.

Sounds great.

The Black & Chrome edition is gorgeous.

But they didn't, so what's the problem?
My point is we had a choice for that one

You keep saying 'why complain about something we don't have to watch''. But if you want to watch this film, you have to watch it with bars in a stupid ratio....... (after paying a fortune for a high end (possibly curved!) TV) :rolleyes:

Maybe a CHOICE of arty farty 'Noir' version would have been better...?

Like Fury Road, Logan and Parasite.

And I guess if the director wants you to feel it was shot in the 30's there won't be one.
Releasing this in 4K would be pointless as (A. it would drastically alter the tone and defeat his point. And (B. not utilise the technology to the extent of what it was actually created for......!
If it was shot in the 30s or back in the day, surely it would be on 35mm (which they did here) and therefore technically be a higher resolution than 4k? (4k digital intermediate in this case)

You keep saying 'why complain about something we don't have to watch''. But if you want to watch this film, you have to watch it with bars in a stupid ratio....... (after paying a fortune for a high end (possibly curved!) TV) :rolleyes:
I can understand the struggle with the black and white bars, however I believe this would be a completely different film if it weren't square and filmed natively in black and white - it simply is not possible to have it be this film exist without these elements. The choice certainly makes the film less accessible that's for sure, and probably deal breaks it for people like yourself and that's fine. Films would be boring if everyone liked the same things - I'm pretty sure if they made a traditional version as a choice, the crossover of a. people that won't watch this film because of the style, and b. people that would enjoy this film, is very small

(also my opinion is in no way influenced by any jealousy towards any high end possibly curved TVs btw :cool:)

My point is we had a choice for that one

Like Fury Road, Logan and Parasite.
It's just baffling me to that so-called film fans would complain about the way director has chosen to make their film. If The Lighthouse was widescreen and colour it'd be fairly boring, case in point there is literally another film of the same name and similar plot and it's pretty boring.

What is so bad about black bars? Do you just not watch old movies because they have black bars? I guess filmmakers should only make films with a 1.78:1 aspect ratio from now on. So you can get "the best viewing experience" on your curved TV.

Just seems like such a silly thing to complain about.

On no, black bars, more horrific than the actual movie!

Just for the record, this 'so called film fan' DOESN'T have a curved TV.

Peace out....... :cigar:
Then this is all the more baffling, you're complaining because someone may have a curved TV and want to watch The Lighthouse?

I'm not trying to argue I just genuinely don't understand the issue here, it's like people who won't watch old movies because they're old. It just makes no sense at all.

Then this is all the more baffling, you're complaining because someone may have a curved TV and want to watch The Lighthouse?

I'm not trying to argue I just genuinely don't understand the issue here, it's like people who won't watch old movies because they're old. It just makes no sense at all.
Its time to let it go now.

Lets just agree to disagree......