The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Oct 18, 2018
Release date: December 1, 2020
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $119.99
Note: Includes Theatrical and Extended cuts
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

350F345E-5107-480E-B3BB-658B65338DEB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if this (and the Hobbit trilogy) is likely to be be realeased outside of the US (ideally in the UK!)?

Is the 4K on a single disk? I know for the past DVD and BD releases they were spread across 2 disks. I won't be upset if it's on a single disk, so long as the quality isn't compromised, but that seems hard to do, especially on Return of the King. I"m guessing there are no extras. Just don't see how they can do that across 3 disks.

I like the art, but not sure about this release. Seems like a place holder.

Been waiting for the 4k release of this, still can't believe I've never seen them!

Quite like the steels too, now just to hope for a UK release. This is turning into quite an expensive year.

Is the 4K on a single disk? I know for the past DVD and BD releases they were spread across 2 disks. I won't be upset if it's on a single disk, so long as the quality isn't compromised, but that seems hard to do, especially on Return of the King. I"m guessing there are no extras. Just don't see how they can do that across 3 disks.

I like the art, but not sure about this release. Seems like a place holder.
3x 4k discs mate. Theatrical on 1 and the extended split between 2. No 1080p discs and no bonus discs.

Assuming the 2nd listing is correct, there'll also be a release with 1080p discs as well for $30 more. Only way that could work would be for x3 stacked disc hubs either side within each steel. Still no bonus features.

Reactions: DMD4k
I think these look great, but also remember hearing about a HDZeta release a while back. Wondering if a premium retailer will pick this up now that its coming out in 4k finally.

I don't hate these, but not going to pretend they're what i was hoping for... much prefer the theatrical posters on the original US steels, they're ruined by poor finish and no interior art though (n)

May skip on these if there's a nice looking more premo boxset released, then jump on the hdzeta gold series releases once available.

Hobbit films, honestly loads of the currently released steels are much better imo. Probably happier to pick those up on the cheap and add in a bare bones 4k set to the mix with my 3D discs.

Reactions: ethnosax