Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: October 2nd, 2016
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $24.99; $17.99 release week

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 4.35.52 PM.png martian.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol no dude a designer would NEVER center to one word, this art has been released before on slipcover and its center. They messed up with the steelbook margins and its super obvious. Look at the artwork up on bestbuy.com and look at other releases, youll see what it was supposed to look like. It doesnt make sense to center it to the word martian since "extended edition" and "Matt Damon" expands farther than martian. Also look where it says " A RIDLEY SCOTT FILM" this is always centered to the title. The title IS centered to Damon, but its not that the title itself is off center, its that the entire image artwork is off center, you can see the artwork mockup below where both Damon and the title are perfectly centered.

5579340_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642
Sure it's on the word Martian, that's why it's superimposed. I beg to differ on your explanation and I really like this and it looks normal to me. I guess I see things in a different light as some others but that's ok as long as I like it. :)

I would say if you don't like the artwork, a) don't buy it and b) find out who did the package design (it may well be on the card on the back) and write to them, not an email but a proper letter, expressing your disapproval of their steelbook artwork design, pointing out the differences between it and the regular slipcase, and impressing upon them the need for higher levels of production for a premium release.

Reactions: charleybusko
Picked this up and didn't even notice anything off center. Guess I just focused on MARTIAN as the center point. It is common in design to place things somewhat off center, but seeing the slip cover it does seem possible it was a pressing error. But again, it's likewise conceivable they wanted the steel to be a little different and stand on its own, using the same artwork, but varying it a little.

Either way, it's a steelbook of The Martian and it's an extended edition which is not available on the UK Martian steel. I would get it regardless due to it being a longer version, Just happy to have the steel.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jedi clare
Those of you still of the belief that they intentionally centered "Martian" should take a closer look.

Left side margin is still significantly shorter than right side margin (even ignoring the word "THE", which I think is a mistake in the first place)

Red line much longer than the blue line.

Major Fail.

Still Off Center.png

Those of you still of the belief that they intentionally centered "Martian" should take a closer look.

Left side margin is still significantly shorter than right side margin (even ignoring the word "THE", which I think is a mistake in the first place)

Major Fail.

View attachment 273201
My steelbook feels used :( lol

• Thanks
Reactions: jimmyv

Major Fail.

View attachment 273201
Yeah I couldn't tell from the images that were posted but now that I have it in-hand I can definitely tell it's off center. It does look weird. :confused:

Reactions: jimmyv
Yeah I couldn't tell from the images that were posted but now that I have it in-hand I can definitely tell it's off center. It does look weird. :confused:

it's a real shame. The color palette on this one is very attractive. It "feels" like Mars. I wanted to like when I first saw it. Truly.

Is it blank inside?

anyone who owns this can confirm if region locked or not, and by that i mean does it work it region B uk player.
as disc in machine and working

thanks
basil