lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Kent, UK
Release date: July 26, 2021
Purchase links: Eureka Video - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £21.99 (Eureka - Amazon) - £22.99 (Zavvi)

ME.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Kent, UK

SPECIAL FEATURES​

• Four versions of the film across two Blu-ray discs, all presented from brand new 2K restorations
  • Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling
  • Limited Edition reversible poster featuring new and original artwor
  • Limited Edition Bonus Disc featuring the English language version of the film originally prepared for the international theatrical release; and a new cut of the film prepared exclusively for this release that combines footage from the original theatrical and extended cuts of the film to present a hypothetical “complete” version
  • Limited Edition booklet featuring new writing and rare archival imagery
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Original Hong Kong Theatrical Cut from a brand new 2K restoration
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Extended Version (sometimes erroneously labelled the International Cut) of the film from a brand new 2K restoration
  • Cantonese audio (original mono presentation)
  • Alternate English dub track
  • Rare alternate Cantonese soundtrack
  • Optional English dubbed audio
  • Optional English Subtitles (newly translated for this release)
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) [Hong Kong Theatrical Version]
  • Brand new select scene commentary by actress and martial arts movie icon, Cynthia Rothrock [Hong Kong Theatrical Version
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mike Leeder and Arne Venema [Extended Version]
  • Brand new interview with Cynthia Rothrock
  • Archival interview with Sammo Hung
  • Archival interview with Cynthia Rothrock
  • Archival interview with Yuen Biao
  • Archival interview with Yukari Oshima
  • Alternate English opening & closing credits
  • Trailers
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the English Language Version from a brand new 2K restoration (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONLY)
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Hybrid Cut, newly created exclusively for this release from a brand new 2K restoration (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONLY)
  • Original English dubbed audio track [English Language Version] (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONL
  • Original Cantonese mono audio [Hybrid Cut] (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONLY)
  • Optional English subtitles
  • ***All extras subject to change

Futurhythm

Premium Supporter
May 16, 2013
In Technicolor
so...what's your take on the release itself? or did you watch it too many times to give an unbiased opinion?! :)
The movie or the release?

Movie is fine but a little misleading in terms of the setup (it's not a train robbery). I'm not that fond of Sammo Hung movies and I hadn't seen it in forever, but I actually liked it more the second and third times I watched it for this.

Release is loaded. The movie has been remastered and looks beautiful. There's also a new cut that combines all the available cuts into one which I really like, but it's only available on the first pressing on the second disc.

If I had to make any criticisms, then personally I'm not a fan of the cover art. This guy does all of Eureka's Hong Kong movie releases though (and a lot of their non-Masters of Cinema ones too now) so he's not going anytime soon. Also, not a huge fan of the guy who does the audio commentaries. I mean, he knows his stuff and people like his work, but I feel like he waffles on a bit (too much unrelated material), makes these annoying mistakes which are easily googleable, and is doing them for every damn Hong Kong movie coming out. It's just a bit much I feel. It'd be nice to hear from some other voices.

steelmybeatingheart

opens the pod bay doors
Premium Supporter
Jul 6, 2016
London
The movie or the release?

Movie is fine but a little misleading in terms of the setup (it's not a train robbery). I'm not that fond of Sammo Hung movies and I hadn't seen it in forever, but I actually liked it more the second and third times I watched it for this.

Release is loaded. The movie has been remastered and looks beautiful. There's also a new cut that combines all the available cuts into one which I really like, but it's only available on the first pressing on the second disc.

If I had to make any criticisms, then personally I'm not a fan of the cover art. This guy does all of Eureka's Hong Kong movie releases though (and a lot of their non-Masters of Cinema ones too now) so he's not going anytime soon. Also, not a huge fan of the guy who does the audio commentaries. I mean, he knows his stuff and people like his work, but I feel like he waffles on a bit (too much unrelated material), makes these annoying mistakes which are easily googleable, and is doing them for every damn Hong Kong movie coming out. It's just a bit much I feel. It'd be nice to hear from some other voices.
superb, thanks for that, appreciate you taking the time to respond with detail. :thanks: i've never seen this, so that helps a lot. :thumbs: