The Official Custom Slipcovers & Slipboxes Thread

bigrob

UK Reviewer /Contributor
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 8, 2012
London UK
gonna attempt to create a hybrid Night at the Museum BD with lenticular slipcase and the missing bonus disc

going to purchase the UK BD of Night at the Museum
buy a 2 disc aramay case (14mm) and insert the bonus disc
trim the slipcase on the DVD (currently looking where abouts to trim it)
scan the pack of the slip and make some edits to the details (specs etc)
print it out at work at carefully glue it to the back

hopefully i'll have something to match part 2

Attachments

• 20120304_180358.jpg
    20120304_180358.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,378
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @zesty - Jock announces that he has a new piece for The Empire Strikes Back coming down the pipe in the near future- would you ever consider doing custom slips for Star Wars ‘77 and The Empire Strikes Back using his artwork?

Just curious. :p

Hey @zesty - Jock announces that he has a new piece for The Empire Strikes Back coming down the pipe in the near future- would you ever consider doing custom slips for Star Wars ‘77 and The Empire Strikes Back using his artwork?

Just curious. :p

Now your not going to be happy with this as I know from your posts that you love all that 'drawn' style artwork but....................

While I understand and like it as artwork I cannot stand seeing it on steebooks, this recent comic book style artwork everywhere lately has stopped me buying quite a few things in recent months, which is nice for my wallet at least ;)

Anyway I did a slipbox for this a while ago and am happy enough with it :p

Now your not going to be happy with this as I know from your posts that you love all that 'drawn' style artwork but....................

While I understand and like it as artwork I cannot stand seeing it on steebooks, this recent comic book style artwork everywhere lately has stopped me buying quite a few things in recent months, which is nice for my wallet at least ;)

Anyway I did a slipbox for this a while ago and am happy enough with it :p

Haha! Yeah- I geniuely do prefer “art” as opposed to images... just a matter of personal preference. I just get disappointed when I don’t see anything “new” used for Steelbooks- but that’s mainly to do with my feelings on the current homogenization of poster art work now seeming all too formulaic. I mean- I saw posters for Inception, Hitman: Agent 47, Maze Runner: the Death Cure, and Geostorm- and all the posters looked like they were for the same movie. xD

But I get your drift about avoiding certain Steelbooks specifically because of the artwork- and as it currently stands, as much as it pains me to say so- I still have yet to get any of the Star Wars Steelbooks specifically because I hate all of the artwork that they use...

Out of curiousity- are you opposed to specifically types of illustrated artwork on Steelbooks that emulate comic books? Or would you be opposed to art from Dan Mumford or Alice X Zhang or Drew Struzan on Steelbooks as well?

Haha! Yeah- I geniuely do prefer “art” as opposed to images... just a matter of personal preference. I just get disappointed when I don’t see anything “new” used for Steelbooks- but that’s mainly to do with my feelings on the current homogenization of poster art work now seeming all too formulaic. I mean- I saw posters for Inception, Hitman: Agent 47, Maze Runner: the Death Cure, and Geostorm- and all the posters looked like they were for the same movie. xD

But I get your drift about avoiding certain Steelbooks specifically because of the artwork- and as it currently stands, as much as it pains me to say so- I still have yet to get any of the Star Wars Steelbooks specifically because I hate all of the artwork that they use...

Out of curiousity- are you opposed to specifically types of illustrated artwork on Steelbooks that emulate comic books? Or would you be opposed to art from Dan Mumford or Alice X Zhang or Drew Struzan on Steelbooks as well?

I'm not against seeing anything on a steelbook as long as it is the best option available and can completely see your reasoning as to having the artwork on the original Star Wars trilogy as it was the main promo material for them at the time, it's things like Spiderman Homecoming and Wonder Woman recently that bother me, yes it's based on a comic but it's not a comic and there are great posters around so why 'drawn' artwork is used is beyond me and when it comes to Atomic Blonde that just baffles the mind I've seen better off my grandkids :hilarious:

I'm not against seeing anything on a steelbook as long as it is the best option available and can completely see your reasoning as to having the artwork on the original Star Wars trilogy as it was the main promo material for them at the time, it's things like Spiderman Homecoming and Wonder Woman recently that bother me, yes it's based on a comic but it's not a comic and there are great posters around so why 'drawn' artwork is used is beyond me and when it comes to Atomic Blonde that just baffles the mind I've seen better off my grandkids :hilarious:

Haha! Oh god- I can definitely see your reasoning behind THOSE particular Steelbooks- I too thought that they were bafflingly terrible. Especially the Illustrated Art Line for Wonder Woman- which was one of the few times that I physically shuddered when I saw the artwork for it. xD

I get your meaning, entirely. And I’ve seen a lot of the arguments about Steelbooks about how it comes down to artwork vs. finish or Promotional vs. licensed artwork. A good example I think would be of the recently released Mondo Steelbook for The Incredibles, with artwork by Tom Whalen- which I think is the best option for the film and is far superior to that which was previously released.

That’s why I was really bummed about all the Star Wars Steelbooks- because there is a nigh limitless amount of Star Wars Artwork done by some very talented people- and they chose to go with poorly rendered CGI close-ups. The embarrassing thing is- is that the idea of a close-up isn’t that terrible- and Harmy’s Despecialized Edition uses that same motif- but is don’t infinitely better than what the official Steelbooks ended up launched with...

Hypothetically, would you ever be interested in making a Star Wars Lenti slip again? Or would you not entertain the notion?

Haha! Oh god- I can definitely see your reasoning behind THOSE particular Steelbooks- I too thought that they were bafflingly terrible. Especially the Illustrated Art Line for Wonder Woman- which was one of the few times that I physically shuddered when I saw the artwork for it. xD

I get your meaning, entirely. And I’ve seen a lot of the arguments about Steelbooks about how it comes down to artwork vs. finish or Promotional vs. licensed artwork. A good example I think would be of the recently released Mondo Steelbook for The Incredibles, with artwork by Tom Whalen- which I think is the best option for the film and is far superior to that which was previously released.

That’s why I was really bummed about all the Star Wars Steelbooks- because there is a nigh limitless amount of Star Wars Artwork done by some very talented people- and they chose to go with poorly rendered CGI close-ups. The embarrassing thing is- is that the idea of a close-up isn’t that terrible- and Harmy’s Despecialized Edition uses that same motif- but is don’t infinitely better than what the official Steelbooks ended up launched with...

Hypothetically, would you ever be interested in making a Star Wars Lenti slip again? Or would you not entertain the notion?

Honestly I don't like that Mondo Incredibles (I have the original Canadian viva) but then I don't have any Mondo steels as I don't particularly like them at all, but that's just me ;)

I wouldn't be able to make a lenti from the original Star Wars posters as to make them you have to dismantle them which I wouldn't be able to do for example in the poster I would need Luke, Leia, Han, all the ships etc as separate images and the background filled in. I can generally look at an image and know within 5 seconds if it's within my capabilities ;)

f0fd5d5f182dd4cf78c86a7ed0aeb58d.jpg

Honestly I don't like that Mondo Incredibles (I have the original Canadian viva) but then I don't have any Mondo steels as I don't particularly like them at all, but that's just me ;)

I wouldn't be able to make a lenti from the original Star Wars posters as to make them you have to dismantle them which I wouldn't be able to do for example in the poster I would need Luke, Leia, Han, all the ships etc as separate images and the background filled in. I can generally look at an image and know within 5 seconds if it's within my capabilities ;)

f0fd5d5f182dd4cf78c86a7ed0aeb58d.jpg

Really? Not a fan of Mondo releases?
I actually purchased the KimchiDVD initially on impulse and ended up giving it away for someone’s birthday because I hated the Steelbook design so much... xD I’m not a fan of some of Tyler Stout’s work with Mondo Steelbooks (they just feel too cluttered) but I’m a particular fan of my Mondo Ex-Machina and T-2: Judgement Day releases.

Oh wow- is the dismantlement how you’re able to get the depth in your lenticulars? That video that you posted of your custom Star Wars Slip had really good depth on the Tie fighters and on the Falcon. So creating the design for a lenti normally becomes an exercise in design and compositing, correct?

Really? Not a fan of Mondo releases?
I actually purchased the KimchiDVD initially on impulse and ended up giving it away for someone’s birthday because I hated the Steelbook design so much... xD I’m not a fan of some of Tyler Stout’s work with Mondo Steelbooks (they just feel too cluttered) but I’m a particular fan of my Mondo Ex-Machina and T-2: Judgement Day releases.

Oh wow- is the dismantlement how you’re able to get the depth in your lenticulars? That video that you posted of your custom Star Wars Slip had really good depth on the Tie fighters and on the Falcon. So creating the design for a lenti normally becomes an exercise in design and compositing, correct?

No they don't do it for me but each to their own :p

Yeah that's pretty much it, that lenti wasn't too bad but it is composed of loads of different images which luckily are pretty easy to get, the space background, the deathstar, the tie fighters and the falcon all started life as separate images I just 'cut them out' and put them all together. Some other ones I've done are a pain as all you have is the one image and when you take something off you have to fill in behind it ;) Of course it's a lot easier for those that have access to the original layered images from the studios but I unfortunately don't :hilarious:

I didn't know about this thread, hahaha.

Do you know my designs?
Take a look at my blog: www.jomasanra-digipack.blogspot.com
I have there more than 300 custom designs.

Best,
JoMaSanRa.
I actually found your blog couple of days ago. I dont even know how i ended up there. Haha
Anyway, great job man. I checked some of them. They all look very nice :thumbs:

Reactions: JoMaSanRa