The Official Custom Slipcovers & Slipboxes Thread

bigrob

UK Reviewer /Contributor
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 8, 2012
London UK
gonna attempt to create a hybrid Night at the Museum BD with lenticular slipcase and the missing bonus disc

going to purchase the UK BD of Night at the Museum
buy a 2 disc aramay case (14mm) and insert the bonus disc
trim the slipcase on the DVD (currently looking where abouts to trim it)
scan the pack of the slip and make some edits to the details (specs etc)
print it out at work at carefully glue it to the back

hopefully i'll have something to match part 2

Attachments

• 20120304_180358.jpg
    20120304_180358.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,367
Last edited by a moderator:
I found this, very interesting, will try it.

BunnyDojo said:
I made this a while back and never did anything with it, including not having the printing ability to test it.
Rather than just delete it, I wanted to make it available, in case anyone wants to give slip cases a try.

Theoretical instructions:
- Print the front/spines on a page and make the necessary folds. Then, cut that out.
- Print and cut out the back.
- Use glue or tape to attach the flaps from the front/spines cutout to your back.

http://www.mrcovers.com/tim/WarnerSlip.rar

And here is an example of the template filled in, using my Inception design:

http://www.mrcovers.com/tim/InceptionSlipFrontSpines.jpg
http://www.mrcovers.com/tim/InceptionSlipBack.jpg

WarnerSlip.jpg

Reactions: bigrob
I really hate how some slipcovers or well most of them are practically the same artwork as the blu ray cover art. So I decided to make a couple custom ones to two of my favorite movies The Fountain and Shame.

It was a bit difficult to find a high quality image for Shame but The Fountain was quite easy. Trying to figure out what typeface The Fountain used took a bit but it was the most generic font...Helvetica.
img8922v.jpg

img8926n.jpg

Heres how Shame came out
img8927xh.jpg

img8928a.jpg

img8929t.jpg

img8930l.jpg

img8934u.jpg

Heres how The Fountain came out
img8937v.jpg

img8939q.jpg

img8940g.jpg

img8941jw.jpg

Side by side
img8942x.jpg

The slipcovers came out to a little loose. The cases do tend to slip through, so I should make it a little tighter next time. Also I used epson photo matte paper, I need a heavier stock paper next time.

This was quite fun to do. The most difficult part was finding a high quality image and scoring the folds so it can fold correctly.

I think the next slipcover I might create is Atonement and/or Sunshine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job! I have been thinking about doing this for some of my Disney movies that never came with slip covers (National Treasure 1+2) so they match the rest of my Disney movies which a have slips. What size paper did you use?

Those are some good looking slips. Are you planning to do any other custom slips and sell them? :D;)

I'm thinking of doing a slip for my Green Lantern steelbook. Not sure about selling yet don't want to get sued by any studios. But maybe trading for a blu rays.

Nice job! I have been thinking about doing this for some of my Disney movies that never came with slip covers (National Treasure 1+2) so they match the rest of my Disney movies which a have slips. What size paper did you use?

I have a Canon Pro9000 so I print large on a 13x19 sheet. I can fit 2 slips on there. Just like the picture you see above.

Reactions: mediafavorites
I've tried doing something like this myself however my printer isn't up to scratch for the sort of quality I'm after. The weight of cardstock used by slipcovers looks about 300gsm and I've found it difficult to find that sort of thickness which can also achieve the smooth finish you get with proper slipcovers. I'm sure if you had an amazing printer you could get very close though. Also it's worth bearing in mind that unless you have a license to use the movies artwork you can forget about selling them to make money, although I guess if it's only a small quantity sold through a forum like this then I'm sure no one would mind.

Thanks for the video. It's very detailed. Already seen it but didn't know it was you so nice to put a name to the face. :)

I've been thinking about getting some done myself but haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Awesome slips sir, congratulations! They look like they've been made to an excellent standard and I will be contacting you soon for the guys details.

The Sunshine one is my favourite, just love the finish EEK!

I've only seen GONY and Collateral, I might be inspired to view some of the other films now!

Awesome slips sir, congratulations! They look like they've been made to an excellent standard and I will be contacting you soon for the guys details.

The Sunshine one is my favourite, just love the finish EEK!

I've only seen GONY and Collateral, I might be inspired to view some of the other films now!

Thanks for the kind words. Yes they look VERY professional - and because they are "fan designed" you tend to get alot of stuff that Studio's won't normally release. Its great for someone who really likes the artwork on a steelbook but cannot afford the high cost. This way you can have the artwork for a fraction of the price.

• Thanks
Reactions: seamus