The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Germany]

tha_lunatic

C.R.E.A.M
Premium Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
Earth
Release date: June 28, 2019
Purchase links: Amazon DE - Pretz-Media - JPC - MediaMarkt - Saturn - Rakete
Price: €24.99 (Pretz-Media - Rakete - MediaMarkt - Saturn) - €22.99 (JPC - Amazon)

91WzE9TQMYL._SY500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tono06
Why does Shipper have to get involved in everything Struzan does?

He's such a copycat you can't even tell their work apart any more. Even the signatures are similar.

There'll only ever be one Drew. The original and best.
Drew is technically officially retired. Only a few Directors who he considers friends seem to be able to lure him out to do anything movie related. But a lot of his movie masterpieces have been repurposed to screen print by Bottle Neck but it wasnt new art. He still attends Cons and sells prints etc. too.

But ... he stated he still does art but its his own type of art and not movie related as he has no inspiration for it. (least at the time of the interview im quoting)

Amblin , Spielberg's company have hired Shipper before and I'd liken that to same taste in that of Spielberg or simply cause Drew is retired or who knows maybe even recommended. Point is I dont think its that he is jocking his style as it likely more so has its reasons. Plus Drew on record admits to inspiring new artists no different then how he was inspired by older ones ... so even if that is the case at least future generations will have Shipper work that pays homage to the titan that is Drew Struzan even if not intentional as one can easily debate the similarities sure. Either way it's beautiful.

interesting tidbit ... Drew was given 24 hours to create and deliver a painting for the poster that became THE THING. Where as "Hook" took months.

Drew is technically officially retired. Only a few Directors who he considers friends seem to be able to lure him out to do anything movie related. But a lot of his movie masterpieces have been repurposed to screen print by Bottle Neck but it wasnt new art. He still attends Cons and sells prints etc. too.

But ... he stated he still does art but its his own type of art and not movie related as he has no inspiration for it. (least at the time of the interview im quoting)

Amblin , Spielberg's company have hired Shipper before and I'd liken that to same taste in that of Spielberg or simply cause Drew is retired or who knows maybe even recommended. Point is I dont think its that he is jocking his style as it likely more so has its reasons. Plus Drew on record admits to inspiring new artists no different then how he was inspired by older ones ... so even if that is the case at least future generations will have Shipper work that pays homage to the titan that is Drew Struzan even if not intentional as one can easily debate the similarities sure. Either way it's beautiful.

interesting tidbit ... Drew was given 24 hours to create and deliver a painting for the poster that became THE THING. Where as "Hook" took months.
I knew somebody would say he's 'paying homage' or 'inspired by'.

I'm sorry, but I call it down right ripping off!

I grew up with Struzan art and movie posters. As I dabbled in drawing/art myself, I loved his 'realistic' style and particularly his spot on likenesses) But I never straight up copied it. I loved the textures he would use to outline (and on suns on the Indy posters!!)

I don't recall any other artists doing this at the time. Shipper was born the same year as me so would have grown up at the same age and been exposed to the same artists/poster artwork of that era.

To have two artists with identical artwork (one of whom came first and pioneered it) is not so much homage or inspiration for me. But more like 'why can't you come up with your own style'?

Why didn't shipper say, go into horror films? Most every film artwork he's worked on, Drew has already done. Star Wars, Indy, Blade Runner...... Even Shippers signature is done in the same style as Struzans! At least use a different font style!!! (n)

Shipper definitely shows similarities to Struzan, and no one's arguing that. He's even admitted many times to him being his main inspiration...

I'm not sure if they're close friends, but they've hung out before...

So, yes... I'd personally say he pays homage to Struzan, whom clearly gives him his blessing. :)

• Thanks
  • Informative
Reactions: tridon and milky
And whilst we're on the subject... Kyle Lambert is another artist who shows similarities to Struzan in his work.

He was once even asked to do a commemorative piece to celebrate Struzan's career...

Honestly, I think most artists grew up being inspired by his art... I know I certainly was! :notworthy:

i think the art looks great gotta wait to see in hand photos...
Yeah agree. The rest might be rubbish! :p

Going by the spine, and the distributor, this will hardly be available outside of Germany so if there's going to eventually be a FAC premium edition I guess it'll be the other UK Steelbook that would be used.

I'm interested to see what the rest of this looks like.....

• Thanks
Reactions: goufcustom
At least, Turbine (which is also behind Rakete) always have inside art (both for Futurepaks and for Steelbooks).
I'll ask them if they can provide any more artworks with the back and/or inside.

And whilst we're on the subject... Kyle Lambert is another artist who shows similarities to Struzan in his work.

He was once even asked to do a commemorative piece to celebrate Struzan's career...

Honestly, I think most artists grew up being inspired by his art... I know I certainly was! :notworthy:

ahem. Of course, Steven Spielberg didn't direct Back To The Future and George Lucas didn't direct any of the Indiana Jones movies.
Kyle Lambert should have said directors and executive producers. I know. But sometimes I just can't help myself. :LOL:

But, nice painting!