The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (4K Blu-ray SteelBook) (Dark Sky Films) [USA]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: February 28, 2023
Purchase links: Bull Moose - Target - Amazon - Best Buy
Price: $39.97 (Bull Moose) - $39.99 (Target - Amazon) - $59.99 (Best Buy)
Notes: Blu-ray disc is extras - Film on UHD disc - Includes Double sided Poster

91A4-VK55IL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre will be released on 4K Ultra HD in both Steelbook and standard packaging on February 28 via Dark Sky Films.

The influential 1974 horror classic is directed by Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist) from a script he co-wrote with Kim Henkel. Marilyn Burns, Paul A. Partain, Edwin Neal, Jim Siedow, and Gunnar Hansen star.

The two-disc set features over 400 minutes of extras, including a new, feature-length documentary, The Legacy of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Disc 1:

• Audio commentary by writer-director Tobe Hooper, actor Gunnar Hansen. and cinematographer Daniel Pearl
  • Audio commentary by actors Marilyn Burns, Allen Danziger, and Paul A. Partain and production designer Robert Burns
  • Audio commentary by writer-director Tobe Hooper
  • Audio commentary by cinematographer Daniel Pearl, editor J. Larry Carroll, and sound recordist Ted Nicolaou.
Disc 2:

• The Legacy of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - 87-minute documentary featuring filmmakers Fede Alvarez, Mick Garris, Marcus Nispel, Jamie Blanks, Alexandre Bustillo, Julien Maury, Adam Marcus, Rob Savage, and more (new)
  • Friedkin/Hooper - A conversation between director Tobe Hooper and The Exorcist filmmaker William Friedkin
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Shocking Truth - 75-minute documentary (2000)
  • Flesh Wounds: Seven Stories of the Saw - 72-minute documentary (2006)
  • Texas Chain Saw Massacre house tour with actor Gunnar Hansen
  • Interview with actress Teri McMin
  • Interview with actor John Dugan
  • Interview with production manager Ron Bozman
  • Interview with editor J. Larry Carroll
  • Deleted scenes & outtakes
  • Blooper reel
  • Trailers
  • TV
  • Radio spots
  • And more!

Amazon link added to OP
$54.98 (MSRP)

Amazon price will likely be $39.99 or less before release date
Price will drop at varied stages

I'm always a sucker for original poster art, but notice they modified it a bit here.

The film is officially titled Chain Saw, and all the sequels Chainsaw.

However, the original poster (somehow!) ended up with the Chainsaw in it, and now they corrected it: Chain Saw. Not sure if I like it; it's like digitally removing special effect wires visible in the 80s flicks -- technically a goof, but with some vintage charm to it.

The_Texas_Chain_Saw_Massacre_%281974%29_theatrical_poster.jpg
The.Texas_.Chain_.Saw_.Massacre-4K.Ultra_.HD_.Cover_.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't mind a GB, please:

319163479_455345626759893_457379300483172965_n.jpg

I'm always a sucker for original poster art, but notice they modified it a bit here.

The film is officially titled Chain Saw, and all the sequels Chainsaw.

However, the original poster (somehow!) ended up with the Chainsaw in it, and now they corrected it: Chain Saw. Not sure if I like it; it's like digitally removing special effect wires visible in the 80s flicks -- technically a goof, but with some vintage charm to it.

The_Texas_Chain_Saw_Massacre_%281974%29_theatrical_poster.jpg
The.Texas_.Chain_.Saw_.Massacre-4K.Ultra_.HD_.Cover_.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't mind a GB, please:

319163479_455345626759893_457379300483172965_n.jpg
Amazon price will be lot less before release date
Pre-order Price Guarantee covers to close of business on release date (Sometimes Amazon extend that to 1-2 days after release date)
Pre orders done with Amazon automatically get any price drops when they happen

Second Sight UK likely will be a better release as they doing their own 4K master restoration and likely have better disc extras
That's why I will be getting UK release not USA release
Second Sight doing a scan of the negative and from that creating their own 4K Master restoration

Second Sight UK likely will be a better release as they doing their own 4K master restoration and likely have better disc extras

Going for that one definitely, too, but wouldn't like to miss on some extras. If Second Sight is about to pack all the stuff from this disc, then I won't need to duplicate.

Going for that one definitely, too, but wouldn't like to miss on some extras. If Second Sight is about to pack all the stuff from this disc, then I won't need to duplicate.
Second Sight release will also have the new The Legacy of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre documentary

The previous Blu-ray release from second sight had the extras Dark Sky release had + extras only available on second sight release
UK release was also a better release in terms of encoding and better overall restoration

UK release going to be at a later date in 2023 due to time invloved it takes to do a new 4K master restoration and create new extras

• Informative
Reactions: PracticingPat
The previous Blu-ray release from second sight had the extras Dark Sky release had + extras only available on second sight release

Excellent, thank you! :) And what about Turbine Media -- are there some extras exclusive to their edition from this year? I have that steelbook from 2019, but never got around to explore it properly.

The steelbook appears to be gloss, but so is the German one, which has better artwork. They should have put something on the back.

Reactions: BluSteel2012