The Thing (1982) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (CX Media) [Taiwan]

Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Release date: September 9, 2021
Purchase links: CX Media (no international orders) - Sofa Cinema
Price: NT$1580 (CX Media) - NT$1500 (Sofa Cinema)

6447559F-138B-44C9-9623-7618F106A477.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What part do you not understand there has been people in UK before hit by customs on goods that had marked low and this was happening even before 2021 and has been happening for years

Just because it has not happened to you or some others you mention does not mean everyone in UK has not been hit by customs as there has been and lot more instances that you are aware about
There has been people in UK hit by customs in UK for low value goods especially from items shipped from China
UK customers have been asked to provide copy of retailer transaction or PayPal invoice on imported parcels for parcels shipped retailers based outside UK happens lot more than you are aware about

You do understand there are millions of parcels that are imported into UK from overseas every year
If you actually think there has been no one in UK been hit for goods that has low marked value then you don't have a clue as to what really been happening past vew years with UK border force and HMRC

You seam to have forgoton I previously lived in UK and I was dealing with Import and export of goods when I lived in UK for a good few years
I moved from UK to Ireland but still worked for same company and even in Ireland I looked after imports on some products for UK store

Where I work now still involves import and export of goods I deal daily with transport logistic trucks that deliver from UK and deliver to UK and other countries
It's a different job than what I previously did in UK/Ireland but still I see the customs paperwork involved when I have to check with a truck driver before he can enter a unit
You don't have ANY more special knowledge about this than anyone else.

Where did I say no one is being taxed.

My "expertise" in this matter is just as good as yours.

In fact better as you don't actually live in the UK

I’m not feeling this release but I’d still love a proper premium of the film. But we've got so many steels and collectors editions I think we good for a while.

They do a decent release, they just need to up the quality of paper stock they are making their slips from. Go from .20 to maybe 1.00 a sheet in paper quality.

You quoted the following
have NEVER EVER heard of anyone being asked to supply a receipt or invoice by UK customs.
People in UK have been requsted to supply retailer transaction or copy of PayPal receipt when price marked is questioned by customs

This has happened in UK for various type of imported goods

Just because it has not happened to you or some other people you know does not mean it does not happen as it has done

*cough cough BS cough* Like that means anything ...

Never being asked for invoice does not mean never been taxed
I'm discussing about the correct amount of Vat that is required to be paid
UK border force have questioned marked value often on parcels before 2021 so the correct amount of Vat is received
It's up to customer then to provide proof of amount they paid for goods if they think the vat amount they been asked to pay is wrong
HMRC have asked person listed on delivery address to provide a copy of retailer transaction or PayPal receipt so the correct Vat amount is charged as in when customers query border force about vat amount requested to be paid
This does happen

If you think the customs charges are wrong, you should contact Border Force directly as they decide the Vat amount
Border Force can ignore low value marked amount on a parcel and decide an a higher value this does happen but less often with blu-ray discs
They use various methods to look up prices for goods been imported into UK

The marking low value is to avoid paying the correct Vat amount which is illegal
The purpose of the new rules on imports is to stop this completely or at least reduce it from happening

Retailers based outside UK/EU and shipping to a UK/EU delivery address with goods value £135/€150 or less they are meant to apply for a Vat ID in UK/EU and apply vat at checkout (as in collected directly at the point of sale)
Those retailers based outside UK/EU that don't register for UK or EU vat ID or don't use the OSS/IOSS new system of applying vat at checkout will get more attention from customs soon in UK and EU
This has already started to happen in EU and will soon in UK
Especially those they suspect at marking low value on custom label and not registered for the new vat system of collecting vat

At the moment it's just luck if you avoid correct vat amount been asked to pay that will change

For items sent through the post, Royal Mail pay HMRC any import VAT and Customs Duty on your behalf. This ensures you receive your item as quickly as possible.
That vat amount is decided by border force not Royal Mail
Royal Mail then send you a Fee to pay card. This shows how much you need to pay before you can receive your item. The amount will include our £8 handling fee.

Border Force will eventually have more time to concentrate on parcels imported into UK that not had vat payment done at checkout with a retailer based outside UK
The purpose of retailer based outside UK applying vat at checkout reduces customs workload on checking of parcels and gives customs more time to go after parcels not had vat paid and be checking on marked values

*cough cough BS cough* Like that means anything ...
It means you have local on the ground experience instead of googling the rules experience.

A pity I had to explain the difference to you

I will put it in simpler language next time or maybe draw you a picture.

@paulboland I have to ask something. Do you type everything out each time or do you have stuff saved that you copy and paste? I’m not taking the p!ss, I’m genuinely interested. I’ve had a laugh in the past calling you a robot, cyborg, wikipaul, having spreadsheets etc etc etc but never asked. I’m curious

It means you have local on the ground experience instead of googling the rules experience.

A pity I had to explain the difference to you

I will put it in simpler language next time or maybe draw you a picture.
Contact border force yourself and ask them
They do ignore marked value on goods often and customers gets a higher vat bill than they was expecting
When customer in UK contacts border force about vat amount been requested to be paid border force will request proof of of actual amount customer paid
That will be a copy of retailer invoice showing amount paid or a PayPal invoice showing amount

A lot often will not contact border force as they know they could end up having to pay even higher amount and just accept what border force vat amount is requested
If you think this does not happen you are wrong

Border Force will have more time to be checking on parcels that arrive in UK as more retailers based outside UK apply vat at checkout this avoids the need for customs be looking for vat as it's already paid when customer orders with a retailer

Reactions: 5t33lb0y and DMD4k
@paulboland I have to ask something. Do you type everything out each time or do you have stuff saved that you copy and paste? I’m not taking the p!ss, I’m genuinely interested. I’ve had a laugh in the past calling you a robot, cyborg, wikipaul, having spreadsheets etc etc etc but never asked. I’m curious
I repeat to yourself contact border force and ask them

I gave you info by PM messages have you forgotten you asked me for Help in regards to customs

OK, what am I doing wrong? I can't seem to register on sofacinema.com.tw, I can't get past entering a phone number, and it will not accept my number, with or without the country code.

EDIT nevermind, just entered a Taiwan # to get registered.

Last edited:
I repeat to yourself contact border force and ask them

I gave you info by PM messages have you forgotten you asked me for Help in regards to customs

No I’m not taking the pee mate. You post a lot of info and I wondered if you have everything kind of filed for easy access or If you type it out each time? Yeah you’ve helped me a lot, cheers, but I’m not mocking you. I’m genuinely asking.

Reactions: paulboland
Contact border force yourself and ask them
They do ignore marked value on goods often and customers gets a higher vat bill than they was expecting
When customer in UK contacts border force about vat amount been requested to be paid border force will request proof of of actual amount customer paid
That will be a copy of retailer invoice showing amount paid or a PayPal invoice showing amount

A lot often will not contact border force as they know they could end up having to pay even higher amount and just accept what border force vat amount is requested
If you think this does not happen you are wrong

Border Force will have more time to be checking on parcels that arrive in UK as more retailers based outside UK apply vat at checkout this avoids the need for customs be looking for vat as it's already paid when customer orders with a retailer
If you think this "asking for invoice" happens to private citizens importing steelbooks and collectors editions( because that is what we are talking about) then you are stark raving bonkers

No I’m not taking the pee mate. You post a lot of info and I wondered if you have everything kind of filed for easy access or If type it out each time? Yeah you’ve helped me a lot, cheers, but I’m not mocking you. I’m genuinely asking.
I see customs paperwork every day from lots of countries on imports of various goods
Sometimes I have to check paperwork so driver goes to correct warehouse
One of the warehouses even process DVD/Blu-ray orders that are imported from UK and other countries they do the customs clearence themselves as they are licenced to do so
I sometime even get delivery from transport driver who I see every day at work he lives a few doors away from me

I posted the new vat changes info a few years ago to give you all heads up what will be happening so it would not be a shock when they came into force

It's still in it's eary stages at the moment but customs in UK and EU will have more time on checking parcels as more retailers based in and outside UK/EU start to use the new system for collecting vat payment on purchases with value of £135/€150 or less

It's mostly at the moment retailers based in UK/EU using the new system but other retailers based outside UK/EU will also start to use the new system over time and will result in faster delivery and quicker customs clearence as more retailers and online marketplace sellers start to register

Some smaller based retailers won't want to pay the fees to register for Vat ID so that will mean customs checks done more often than was previously done with those retailers

Due to the new system retailers marking low value over time will risk getting attention of customs more so than previously

Personal Mail sent between individuals will get less attention but not be completely ignored
Customs will always concentrate more towards on-line retailer purchases and on marketplace sellers platforms that facilitate purchases
Likes of eBay made sure they be no issues that why they now apply vat

If you think this "asking for invoice" happens to private citizens importing steelbooks and collectors editions( because that is what we are talking about) then you are stark raving bonkers
Why can't it happen to private citizens?

We are discussing orders done from retailers

Not personal mail sent between individuals

It is though still an offence for an individual to put wrong value of goods on a custom form but that get's lot less attention than items shipped from a retailer