Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 3, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £34.99

715dzUaumdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51zn9dxv88L._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
I have the original Universal 100th Anniversary series release and the recent one that matches the StudioCanal set.

I like the look of the HMV Japanese style one and the Arrow version, but as much as I like the film, I really don't need 100 copies of it.

Disagree. I refuse to collect Mondo because they write STEELBOOK on the spine in massive letters. Which is akin to writing CAR on the side of my A3. Looks daft.

However, I’m not sure it can beat the Arrow art from a few years ago.

How do you manage to buy appliances or electronics or cars or basically anything when they all have their brand names on them?

Reactions: Mararagan
Disagree. I refuse to collect Mondo because they write STEELBOOK on the spine in massive letters. Which is akin to writing CAR on the side of my A3. Looks daft.

However, I’m not sure it can beat the Arrow art from a few years ago.
I dont think you've seen Mondo Steelbooks in your hand because they are on another level. Plus, the reason Steelbook is so prominent on these, its because this line is a collaboration of 2 premium products: Mondo X Steelbook, so i have to disagree on your reasonings

I dont think you've seen Mondo Steelbooks in your hand because they are on another level. Plus, the reason Steelbook is so prominent on these, its because this line is a collaboration of 2 premium products: Mondo X Steelbook, so i have to disagree on your reasonings

LOL. You know better than him ? Really ? And not all mondo's that great. Own couple. Just another steels. Nothing special.

(no he's gonna tell me that I do not own and never seen one live, right ?) :rofl:

LOL. You know better than him ? Really ? And not all mondo's that great. Own couple. Just another steels. Nothing special.

(no he's gonna tell me that I do not own and never seen one live, right ?) :rofl:
I don't know if I would go as far as to call them nothing special and just another steel. I mean most of them are certainly at least a step above that. The quiet place one is gorgeous in the hand. But I will agree with you there are far far nicer steels out there.

Reactions: Space Cadet
I don't know if I would go as far as to call them nothing special and just another steel. I mean most of them are certainly at least a step above that. The quiet place one is gorgeous in the hand. But I will agree with you there are far far nicer steels out there.

Yep. But I dislike specially some mondo marvels - they are stuffed so full of stuff that that eye sores.

Universal UHD release of The Thing is using the Arrow 4K scan restoration

The 4K scan of the negative was done by both Universal and Arrow at Universal Post in USA
This how scream factory and Turbine media was able to use Arrow restoration as it was licensed from Universal

The UHD release has added HDR and would be a different encoding and is why looks different to Arrow Blu-ray release

Info from Universal
The Thing was shot on 35mm film and has utilised a recent full restoration from the original camera negative, done by Arrow for their previous release, to produce a new 4K DI from which this UHD is sourced.
I'm not so sure. I read somewhere that there are 2 4k scans. One Universal did a few years back and then one Arrow did themselves. I think the one we are getting is the earlier 4k scan despite the blurb. If Arrow do a special 4k release which I think is very likely, we'll soon know since their own 4k releases to date have been stellar. Arrow don't always do their own 4k scans but when they do they are ace....

I'm not so sure. I read somewhere that there are 2 4k scans. One Universal did a few years back and then one Arrow did themselves. I think the one we are getting is the earlier 4k scan despite the blurb. If Arrow do a special 4k release which I think is very likely, we'll soon know since their own 4k releases to date have been stellar. Arrow don't always do their own 4k scans but when they do they are ace....
UHD is using the 4K Arrow Scan from 2017
It was done by both Universal and Arrow a joint effort at Universal Post

You cant compare UHD that has HDR to a Blu-ray as they will have different encoding

UHD is using the 4K Arrow Scan from 2017
It was done by both Universal and Arrow a joint effort at Universal Post

You cant compare UHD that has HDR to a Blu-ray as they will have different encoding
I'm not comparing blu-ray to 4k. I'm simply saying that two seperate 4k scans were done. An earlier one by Universal and the Arrow 4k scan. I don't think the arrow 4k scan has had a 4k release yet despite the blurb I have been reading.

I'm not comparing blu-ray to 4k. I'm simply saying that two seperate 4k scans were done. An earlier one by Universal and the Arrow 4k scan. I don't think the arrow 4k scan has had a 4k release yet despite the blurb I have been reading.
The Universal UHD release is using the 2017 4K DI this new restoration was done by both Universal/Arrow

That arrow 4K scan restoration was also then licenced by universal to Scream Factory in USA and Turbine Media in Germany

Universal own the arrow restoration that's why it was Universal and not arrow who licenced it to Scream Factory/Turbine Media and also used it themselves for their UHD release

4K Scan of a negative is the process done for doing a restoration

A 4K DI can then be used for DVD/Blu-ray/UHD/Digital releases

Doing a UHD releases involves doing a new encoding as you have to add HDR etc