The Thing (1982) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: September 20, 2021
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on August 3 Red Carpet live, general sale at 9 AM - UK time)
Price: £29.99

The Thing SteelBook.jpg

Open.jpg Inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After 24 hours I’m liking this art a bit more now. Especially open with the back art on show. But I’m not pre ordering. I’ll wait for pictures to make my mind up. £30 seems a bit too steep at the moment

Reactions: Lord Vader
I love coming on here and seeing other member's opinions, mock ups etc, and having the odd moan about nothing, but at the end of the day............... it's a steelbook ..... some people just take it that one step too far! We're all different, that's what makes us human and unique, but sometimes you just have to take a step back and say, this is a film in a steel box. You either like it or you don't and express your opinions on why you like or dislike it and have a laugh at the same time. I personally really don't like this steel as it does not shout at me "this is the thing". If it didn't have the title at the bottom, for all I know, this could be "Escape from New York". Unless you have the others then it just doesn't scream to me "buy me". I've gone for the limited collectors edition instead. But thanks for all the opinions, mock ups etc... it's what makes this site unique. Long may it continue and hope you all stay safe during these strange times.
I'm glad you liked the collectors edition! We just thought it would be really cool to continue Studio Canal's line look into The Thing as that has never been done before to my knowledge outside of retail line looks like HMV Premium Collection - and then only in branding rather than in artwork. I love John Carpenter films and this gets me one step closer to having them all in one coherant collection! One day!

I would honestly get this to go with the four SC French steelbooks I have but that $41USD price is just making me hesitate right now. I bought the entire set of the 4 others from fnac for just over $80 (shipping included) in US dollars.

I’d like to see how the front art looks in hand but it does nicely match the set and the back looks very good. I do think the colors will look good in the full gloss.

Last edited:
You know I hope one day we get a coherent collection with the original film posters

They've done the Thing, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live, I wish they'd have continued the John Carpenter line fully

You may not like Joe Bloggs' artworks but you can't deny his success

View attachment 513443
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally not a fan of this type of art on small scale products such as steelbooks preferring instead a larger image of the main character/s but there's no getting away from the fact that the design matches previous perfectly ...

View attachment 513444 View attachment 513445

... and while I don't object to the art on the previous steels I feel that this particular image is ill-advised and evocative of the most horrific event of the 20th century.
you son of a gun! lol just made easier to go and pre order it.

Is it wrong of me to prefer any of the designs below on a steelbook compared to what we got....

View attachment 513640 View attachment 513641 View attachment 513642 View attachment 513643
Those would not not match the style of the StudioCanal John Carpenter Steelbooks

You may not like what Matt has done for this Thing steelbook
But the steelbook artwork for the Thing Matt has done is matching the The Fog/Escape From New York/They Live/Prince of Darkness Steelbooks

Universal wanted the same artwork style as the StudioCanal Collector Editions and Steelbooks which why they got Matt to do the artwork for the The Thing

Steelbooks

fog.png 11868281-1934609003287189.png theylive.png prince.png The Thing SteelBook.jpg

Collector Editions
81hPKdI4I1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 91Vuf9FoIQL._SL1500_.jpg 91SresK-UnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 81kf0n56HVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
With France getting a horrendous Village of the Damned steelbook, and it being the only other John Carpenter title Universal own, I'd love to see a version by Matt that matches the StudioCanal range and The Thing.

With France getting a horrendous Village of the Damned steelbook, and it being the only other John Carpenter title Universal own, I'd love to see a version by Matt that matches the StudioCanal range and The Thing.

Fabulous Films done a amaray release in 2015
Licenced from Universal

71ev7Q+xQzL._AC_SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
The studio canal series remind me of artworks for the front cover of an actual book series. Which is fine for a book, but not really for a film cover. Nondescript, inoffensive, trying to appeal to everyone but actually appealing to no-one.

The universal collectors editions actually look like stylised theatrical movie posters.

Reactions: hatredhorror
The studio canal series remind me of artworks for the front cover of an actual book series. Which is fine for a book, but not really for a film cover. Nondescript, inoffensive, trying to appeal to everyone but actually appealing to no-one.

The universal collectors editions actually look like stylised theatrical movie posters.
What universal collector editions
If you mean the films The Fog/Escape From New York/They Live/Prince of Darkness collector editions
These are StudioCanal releases

Universal UK decided on The Thing to match both the StudioCanal Steelbook and Collector Editions releases

Reactions: Space Cadet