The Thing (1982) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: September 20, 2021
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on August 3 Red Carpet live, general sale at 9 AM - UK time)
Price: £29.99

The Thing SteelBook.jpg

Open.jpg Inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The studio canal series remind me of artworks for the front cover of an actual book series. Which is fine for a book, but not really for a film cover. Nondescript, inoffensive, trying to appeal to everyone but actually appealing to no-one.

The universal collectors editions actually look like stylised theatrical movie posters.

thumbsdown.gif

Both art is great. for example They Live is almost identical ... BUT each to his/hers own.

See, I think the steelbooks look great.

The designs are classy,, evoking the themes of each individual movie and in most cases, scenes from the actual film. The colour schemes work really well, and again, represent, at least to my mind, the colour I most think of for each title.

While I'm usually in the original poster art camp, and hate pop art with a passion, these are a clear step up from the latter and good enough to make me not want the former. Honestly though, I think it's the quality gloss finish that makes them. A streaky dull matte finish would have killed this range dead for me.

Reactions: Noodles
See, I think the steelbooks look great.

The designs are classy,, evoking the themes of each individual movie and in most cases, scenes from the actual film. The colour schemes work really well, and again, represent, at least to my mind, the colour I most think of for each title.

While I'm usually in the original poster art camp, and hate pop art with a passion, these are a clear step up from the latter and good enough to make me not want the former. Honestly though, I think it's the quality gloss finish that makes them. A streaky dull matte finish would have killed this range dead for me.
GIF by Kim's Convenience

How does the colour of this steelbook represent the movie best???
Well, considering all the designs for this range have been primarily silhouette, what colour would you choose to represent the iciness of the base?

The lighting on The Fog looks like the glowing fog, and the green of Prince Of Darkness is clearly the glow associated with the canister. I guess Escape From New York and They Live could be different, but they both work to my eyes.

Well, considering all the designs for this range have been primarily silhouette, what colour would you choose to represent the iciness of the base?

The lighting on The Fog looks like the glowing fog, and the green of Prince Of Darkness is clearly the glow associated with the canister. I guess Escape From New York and They Live could be different, but they both work to my eyes.
Not sure a sickly green represents the icy desolation

It looks like Snake vs The Fog to me. But that's me. I like most of the dude's art, though, so I attribute it to the parameters he had to follow.

I also enjoy the old Green Splitting Face steelbook that holds the angst of many, so there you are.

Reactions: IT Troll
@johnnythm Any chance of you or StudioCanal teaming up with other studios to do more Carpenter films? Would love to see more of these along with the CEs! Namely Christine, Halloween, Big Trouble and Precinct 13.

Reactions: Lord Vader
@johnnythm Any chance of you or StudioCanal teaming up with other studios to do more Carpenter films? Would love to see more of these along with the CEs! Namely Christine, Halloween, Big Trouble and Precinct 13.
Halloween 1978 is with Lionsgate in UK
Christine (1983) is Sony and with Powerhouse Films in UK
Big Trouble in Little China (Is Fox now with Disney) - Arrow Video has rights at the moment in UK until that expires
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) is with Second Sight in UK

Universal have the rights in UK to Halloween 2018 film and the upcoming films Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends
The new halloween films could possible in theory to do something silmilar artwork style

Assault on Precinct 13 (2005) is a Universal film but no Blu-ray release in UK but that is not John Carpenter Film
Entertainment in Video did a DVD release in UK

Thank you for understanding. We all love a joke here, but if an outsider such as Matt himself were to wander into this thread and see that, then it's fair to say he may be a little worried or upset. I'll be the first to admit I've made similar mistakes with my "humour" before, so it's just worth thinking about how others may view something you say before posting it. :)
Yes my humour was really dumb i admit it. My passion for the thing and The fact that we haven’t had a really Good design yet spoke and posted the message before i could see how dumb it was. Apologies again

Last time I bought both editions from them, but this time only the CE, as the steelbook isn't that good, same background front and back, and looks too much like Escape from NY.
Maybe better than Best Buy exclusive...
I've bought the CE from zavvi and amazon exclusive steel book yep I'm that daft.