Release date: September 7, 2021
Purchase links: TBA
Price: TBA

The Thing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrow could have UK rights. Hope so.
Universal and Arrow both have rights in UK

4K scan of the negative was done by universal themselves a few years ago
Arrow licenced that scan for their release they used that 4K scan to create their restoration and then done their own encoding and got new extras created

A 4K UHD release can happen by either Universal or Arrow or both in UK
Universal own the 4K restoration rights that's how scream factory in USA and Turbine in Germany was able to licence arrow restoration from Universal

A Universal release would not have arrow extras

I expect Arrow will be doing a 4K UHD release at some stage this year or next year but it won't be unusual if you see 2 releases in UK
As in a release from both Arrow and Universal in UK at different times

• Informative
Reactions: Space Cadet
Just an FYI but that cover art is sourced from geek gab who often posts custom and fan art for titles that don't currently have official artwork, it's very unlikely this release will have this cover.

Universal and Arrow both have rights in UK

4K scan of the negative was done by universal themselves a few years ago
Arrow licenced that scan for their release they used that 4K scan to create their restoration and then done their own encoding and got new extras created

A 4K UHD release can happen by either Universal or Arrow or both in UK
Universal own the 4K restoration rights that's how scream factory in USA and Turbine in Germany was able to licence arrow restoration from Universal

A Universal release would not have arrow extras

I expect Arrow will be doing a 4K UHD release at some stage this year or next year
but it won't be unusual if you see 2 releases in UK
As in a release from both Arrow and Universal in UK at different times

"I expect Arrow will be doing a 4K UHD release at some stage this year or next year" Could said that myself but wanted to be cautious with my words. In the end, what do I know ... ? :naughty:

Note that artwork is fan made not official from Universal

Artwork was posted by a twitter poster GeekGab

It has A film by JohnCarpenter
It should be John Carpenter

Last edited:
Reactions: komor
I already own the Arrow release, and it is an amazing one. The picture quality is amazing. I think the UK release will be by Universal and not Arrow, as Universal would not want to license this, hope I'm wrong though as I wish Arrow would release it.

I presume that they would use the same master used in the Arrow one (maybe with a few tweaks as well as a HDR/DV grading) and it should look amazing in 4K. Either way cannot wait for this.

I already own the Arrow release, and it is an amazing one. The picture quality is amazing. I think the UK release will be by Universal and not Arrow, as Universal would not want to license this, hope I'm wrong though as I wish Arrow would release it.

I presume that they would use the same master used in the Arrow one (maybe with a few tweaks as well as a HDR/DV grading) and it should look amazing in 4K. Either way cannot wait for this.
Well I was surprised to see arrow do both Tremors and Pitch Black so I'm hopeful they'll get to do The Thing.

Well I was surprised to see arrow do both Tremors and Pitch Black so I'm hopeful they'll get to do The Thing.

True, I haven't seen Tremors for more than 2 decades now, and haven't seen Pitch Black, so I forgot that they were Universal films. But I was thinking The Thing is one of their prized possessions that they'd wanna release it themselves. But hopefully I am wrong, as all of Arrow's 4K releases has been awesome, and they'll do The Thing justice.

Plus I hope it's not that cover, as I don't really like it.

True, I haven't seen Tremors for more than 2 decades now, and haven't seen Pitch Black, so I forgot that they were Universal films. But I was thinking The Thing is one of their prized possessions that they'd wanna release it themselves. But hopefully I am wrong, as all of Arrow's 4K releases has been awesome, and they'll do The Thing justice.

Plus I hope it's not that cover, as I don't really like it.
I would have thought Tremors and The Thing have both a very high audience and appreciation from film buffs and it would be hard to say that The Thing is more popular than Tremors and vice versa......

Didn't I create a thread for this one on the steel section? :)
no, i'm stupid XD

Universal is releasing it :)

4K Steelbook is on the way both in Europe and US :)