The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Feb 17, 2011
Release date: October 23, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon - Zavvi - HMV - Arrow Films (Sold Out)
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi - Hmv)

91fkjH5rswL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Never say never. :woot:

Yeah the cost of UHD was probably too prohibitive for the UK ... ie # of units perhaps.

But USA run could do it .... so thats why I wonder if we'll see it this year, or next. As I think its bound to happen in USA.

I got the box set Arrow on order tho,.

Steelbook still available from HMV only . . .
(boxset sold out everywhere . . . and thanks to HMV's late entry into the market . . . their pricing of the boxset resulting in a 10 quid drop on all Amazon pre-orders . . . from £29.99 to £19.99).

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Lollard2002
I suppose the license for an UHD release is much more expensive because UHD doesn't have region coding (and thus any UHD release is potentially a worldwide one).
Oh yeah, probably if it were Arrow. Arrow releases in USA now too some titles so be interesting if this ever comes over here later ... but it depends on how long that term is for the Scream Factory one. Most terms on other goods are 2 year standard non exclusive. So just depends what all is in play but i was more so thinking Universal direct which is region free regardless of BD or UHD.

Either way got some bad ass Thing releases and I'd guy by the end of 2018 we will likely never need another Thing release content wise haha.

Wonder if USA will get a UHD then.

@jaws finatic i see in your sig you want a Butch Cassidy steel.

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/butch-...e-kid-limited-edition-steelbook/10920271.html

not the best art, but just saying.
:offtopic:
and also @jaws finatic - has there been a remastered edition of Butch & Sundance? cos if not, the night scenes will still be hard to make out - reviews i'd read of the UK steel version with the same cover said it was just the same print as the previous releases. :meh:

on topic, can't wait to see this in hand!

:offtopic:
and also @jaws finatic - has there been a remastered edition of Butch & Sundance? cos if not, the night scenes will still be hard to make out - reviews i'd read of the UK steel version with the same cover said it was just the same print as the previous releases. :meh:
No, alas, but still a world away from the DVD (unsurprisingly) - https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&d1=546&d2=514&s1=5530&s2=5225&l=0&i=1&go=1&x=593&y=110
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: DREW STRUZAN ARTWORK (courtesy
The top 25 movie posters of all time
By Creative Blog Staff, Cavan Scott March 06, 2017):-

The Thing
upload_2017-8-1_1-1-5.png

Drew Struzan was tasked with creating this poster overnight, with no concept art for reference
It is 1982 and artist Drew Struzan's phone rings. The caller is from Universal Studios. They are remaking The Thing and need poster art: is he interested? There is a snag. The deadline is tomorrow morning. And what's more: the publicity department have no photos to use as reference. They don't even have any concept art.

"It was a very odd experience," Struzan told Movies.com. "I got an immediate concept, which is not unusual for me. I dressed up in a winter snow outfit and my wife took a Polaroid of me."

Struzan used the snap as the basis of a sketch, which was faxed off to the studio. They approved the idea and after taking some more shots, this time with a 35mm camera, Struzan went to work, painting through the night.

"At 9am a guy shows up at my doorstep and says, 'Is the painting ready?' I had about an hour to go, so I finished painting it and he took it away."

Designer view:
Aaron Blecha, artist and animator: "A simple, mysterious, terrifying design. With its stripped-down, cold colour palette, bold graphic ice forms, and backlit character in winter gear, the poster only hints at what the movie is about and what The Thing is, does or even looks like. It follows the old rule of not showing the creature and lets your imagination do the work. But once you've experienced the film, you realise how perfect the poster design is."

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Not too bothered about the matte finish on this, most Arrow releases are matte, or at least the ones I had, Big Trouble, Zombie Flesh Eaters, are my favs...

And HMV must have sold out in the last few days, as it was available last week.

Any news if this release definitely DOESN'T have a booklet ?

Dammit, I'm so sick of all the matte releases. Have Asian retailers hoarded the world's supply of gloss or something, 'cos they don't seem to have a problem with it on most of their releases?!

To be fair most arrow are matte. Only gloss arrow steel I can think of is king of New York and it's amazing in hand. Art proper pops. They sometimes have some spot gloss but not often.
Society was a nice surprise but I really hope that white title is spot glossed. Debossed title would be excellent too but arrow don't really boss either

@Mr Y Fronts im sure it will come with a book. I'll be very surprised if it don't. Think it will be a first too

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
Not too bothered about the matte finish on this, most Arrow releases are matte, or at least the ones I had, Big Trouble, Zombie Flesh Eaters, are my favs...

And HMV must have sold out in the last few days, as it was available last week.

Any news if this release definitely DOESN'T have a booklet ?
i did speak with arrow direct via facebook and they confirmed steelbook will not have any extra content only slip version,
but even i find it hard to believe a steelbook from arrow with no goodies inside,