Mar 25, 2013
London
Release date: September 20, 2021
Purchase links: Entertainment Store - Zavvi - HMV - WB Shop - Amazon UK
Price: £39.99
Note: Includes 4 discs: 4K UHD, Blu-ray, The Thing 2011 Disc & Soundtrack CD

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that The Thing (1982) is finally coming to 4K UHD in September 2021, I decided to take a closer look at the different transfers that we had so far.

I compared the very first Blu-ray release from Universal in 2008 to the 4K restoration (4K mastered Blu-ray) by Arrow Video from 2017 and the 2K restoration by Shout Factory from 2016.

Kind of like the shout factory best

NEW comparison including 4K iTunes version!

Don't go by what you see on iTunes

4K UHD disc will have different encoding and also have HDR 10

UHD and Blu-ray discs requires encoding and are not the same as a 4K digital file used for streaming
UHD and Blu-ray discs are encoded at a higher bit-rate than what is used for streaming

• Thanks
Reactions: shane54
Received automated email from WB Shop that my order has gone to 'processing'.

Also noticed that the item page has disappeared from the store. In fact the item pages from all retailers have now sold out, which is strange because I swear the the Entertainment Store (on eBay) had 100+ copies for sale the other day.

Received automated email from WB Shop that my order has gone to 'processing'.

Also noticed that the item page has disappeared from the store. In fact the item pages from all retailers have now sold out, which is strange because I swear the the Entertainment Store (on eBay) had 100+ copies for sale the other day.
It's been sold out a while with most retailers

A lot of orders done but you need to remember these are limited editions only a set amount is made and each retailer would been allocated a set amount of stock
Amazon likely got most of that allocation due to how many items they order on a regular basis from the distributor

The majority of the discs made are for the 4K standard amaray edition which is what happens with most releases
This is why for example StudioCanal 4K UHD collector editions and other labels limited editions sell out quickly

The difference is StudioCanal wait until the 4K collector limited editions sell out before they do a 4K standard edition
Arrow do the same they release a standard edition after limited edition sells out

Universal though most times do limited edition and standard edition same time which is what they have done with this release

This 4K collector's edition of The Thing and both 4K steelbook releases was always going to sell out quickly and before release date in UK
You may see some retailers after release due to customer cancellations or payment issues make available some stock

Also If you not aware WB Shop often take payment 2 weeks before release date but only dispatch your order a few days before release date

Reactions: Jamon-Jamon
It's been sold out a while with most retailers

A lot of orders done but you need to remember these are limited editions only a set amount is made and each retailer would been allocated a set amount of stock
Amazon likely got most of that allocation due to how many items they order on a regular basis from the distributor

The majority of the discs made are for the 4K standard amaray edition which is what happens with most releases
This is why for example StudioCanal 4K UHD collector editions and other labels limited editions sell out quickly

The difference is StudioCanal wait until the 4K collector limited editions sell out before they do a 4K standard edition
Arrow do the same they release a standard edition after limited edition sells out

Universal though most times do limited edition and standard edition same time which is what they have done with this release

This 4K collector's edition of The Thing and both 4K steelbook releases was always going to sell out quickly and before release date in UK
You may see some retailers after release due to customer cancellations or payment issues make available some stock

Also If you not aware WB Shop often take payment 2 weeks before release date but only dispatch your order a few days before release date

Good to know, RE: WB Shop, as it's my first order with them.

Do we know the number of Collector Editions made for release? Every retailer sold out quick and then by magic places like Amazon, Entertainment Store and HMV started selling more copies a couple weeks later.

I am very certain that Entertainment Store was still selling 10s copies the other day. Made me think there isn't a specific number of copies and they decided to sell as much as they can before the cut off date to have the packages manufactured. I'm highly likely to be wrong here, but made me think that whilst keeping an eye on stock that was still for sale.

Reactions: paulboland
Good to know, RE: WB Shop, as it's my first order with them.

Do we know the number of Collector Editions made for release? Every retailer sold out quick and then by magic places like Amazon, Entertainment Store and HMV started selling more copies a couple weeks later.

I am very certain that Entertainment Store was still selling 10s copies the other day. Made me think there isn't a specific number of copies and they decided to sell as much as they can before the cut off date to have the packages manufactured. I'm highly likely to be wrong here, but made me think that whilst keeping an eye on stock that was still for sale.
Amazon/Entertainment/HMV have live stock system

When a customer cancels an order it lists back as available on those websites shorty after as in seconds/minutes but sometimes can be a few hours later
Amazon it's very quick when it happens
This why you often see when someone post in thread or you been checking website yourself see as back in stock and then quickly after back to sold out

Example if I was to cancel my amazon order (Which I won't be doing) it would show back as available very quickly and then someone who checks amazon website would see as available

Zavvi don't have live stock system they manually put back on system after customer cancellations are done this they do most times after release date but rare times is before this

You will see this show up again on Amazon/HMV/Entertainment closer to release date or after as more customers cancel an order for various reason or retailer cancel due to payment issues or security issues

Some people do orders from multi retailers around same time and closer to release date decide which retailer they keep their order with and cancel orders done with the other retailers
Some cancel orders at various stages before release date or wait just before release date
Example you had pre ordered on all or some of the retailers WB Shop/Zavvi/Amazon/HMV
WB Shop and Zavvi often take payment before other retailers you then decide to cancel Amazon and HMV orders and then that stock show's back as available on those websites

Print Run of the collector edition only Universal could give you that answer and unikley would tell you anyway
Sometimes they make it public the print run but not always

I wish,hope, need..... StudioCanal to give this CE treatment to one and only,

John Carpenter's, ''Assault on Precinct 13''!

I wish,hope, need..... StudioCanal to give this CE treatment to one and only,

John Carpenter's, ''Assault on Precinct 13''!
StudioCanal would not have the rights to do a release in UK

UK rights for Assault on Precinct 13 John Carpenter film are with Second Sight
They already done a Blu-ray collector's limited edition it was a digipak in a slipcase also included cd soundtrack and artcards and been sold out a good while

Standard Blu-ray amaray is still available from second sight and other UK retailers to order it's just Blu-ray disc

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Devoid Of Truth
StudioCanal would not have the rights to do a release

UK rights for Assault on Precinct 13 are with Second Sight
They already done a blu-ray collector's limited edition it was a digipak in a slipcase also included cd soundtrack and artcards and been sold out a good while

Standard blu-ray amaray is still available from second sight to order it's just Blu-ray disc

thank you, but dangit, missed out on their full slip edition and you can't find it nowhere. thankfully, was able to get the full slip edition from CineMuseum sometime back. Since Second Sight still have rights, maybe they might do a 4k limited edition in the future. Love their Limited Editions!

Reactions: paulboland