Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: June 1st, 2015
Purchase link: True Detective: Season 1
Price: £21.99
Notes: spot gloss finish.

81lTFVqFCkL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I think I must be missing something here, but this steelbook looks awful, yes I can see what the artist has done, but this black and white design is just awfully boring IMO.

Each to thire own flower :) . For me it fits perfectly with the series .

The Devil Traps where almost like a penny dropping clue in the world they are thrown into :OMG:.

Super thrilled with EVERY ASPECT :notworthy: .

I've only just realised that the spot-gloss effect continues on to the spine... really nice attention to detail on this one and such a stunning release overall!

Another thing worth mentioning in regards to UK vs US... I believe the US version has matching disc art, whereas the UK version doesn't.

This is not my photo, but here's what the UK discs look like:

1.jpg

Versus what the US ones will probably look like:

2.jpg

I've only just realised that the spot-gloss effect continues on to the spine... really nice attention to detail on this one and such a stunning release overall!

Another thing worth mentioning in regards to UK vs US... I believe the US version has matching disc art, whereas the UK version doesn't.

This is not my photo, but here's what the UK discs look like:

View attachment 164485

Versus what the US ones will probably look like:

View attachment 164486
the bluray logo on top of the plastic cover is very ugly IMO !

It really is. But hey-ho... at least it's only on the slip and not the steelbook itself, which I can live with. :)

I don't get why people are so upset about a blu Ray label being on the clear slip. It's not on the actual steel, Its better than a j card and doubles up as a protector plus you never get these in the UK let alone a world wide release. I've only ever seen them on the mondo releases and the nova free clear slip. Suppose it's annoying for people who keep them sealed but I buy them to open them.
Hopefully this arrives tomorrow.

I don't get why people are so upset about a blu Ray label being on the clear slip. It's not on the actual steel, Its better than a j card and doubles up as a protector plus you never get these in the UK let alone a world wide release. I've only ever seen them on the mondo releases and the nova free clear slip. Suppose it's annoying for people who keep them sealed but I buy them to open them.
Hopefully this arrives tomorrow.
Same here... they can slap anything they like on the slip and it wouldn't really bother me, because if I were to display it properly, then I'd simply just remove it anyway. I'd actually love to see these kind of plastic slips become the norm though, because as you said... they act as a great steelbook protector and it saves me from having to buy them on eBay.

While all the stuff on the plastic slip is an eyesore, you can always just not use the slip. I think the worst part is actually the non-matching disc art. It's like when the Pop Art Steelbooks got released in the UK and they used the discs with the normal disc art.

The Australian version of this comes out in a couple of days. I wonder if we're gonna get the generic discs and a slipcover covered in crap as well.

Mines on its way, but it's going back. Blue logos and BBfC kills it for me. Target one is gonna be ordered.
If they were printed on the Steelbook I'd agree, however considering they're on the plastic slip that can be removed, I honestly don't mind.

A little bit of a shame that they felt the rating logos needed to be on the front and back of the slip, I'd have thought one would do but it's not the end of the world.

For those talking about getting the US version instead - you might want to check that the disks are not region locked first (or that you have a US/region-free player).

Last edited:
If they were printed on the Steelbook I'd agree, however considering they're on the plastic slip that can be removed, I honestly don't mind.

I can't agree with you guys, design of the slip is a very important part of this release, with the title, actors, font & colors matching the rest

I'll stick with the one from Target

My copy's turned up now, they really went for overkill with these ratings logos didn't they? Front, back and sides all have them.

Just received this and it's a beaut. The spot gloss and matte paint together look amazing.

Reactions: Scary Hair
I don't get why people are so upset about a blu Ray label being on the clear slip. It's not on the actual steel, Its better than a j card and doubles up as a protector plus you never get these in the UK let alone a world wide release. I've only ever seen them on the mondo releases and the nova free clear slip..
The german Inception first release steelbook had a printed clear slip also.....

My copy's turned up now, they really went for overkill with these ratings logos didn't they? Front, back and sides all have them.

Could be overkill sweetheart however seeing as the content includes
Sex , Violence , Human sacrafice , Serial Killings , Drugs , Language , incecest , kidnapping and corruption .

Lets face it it gives G.O.T a mega run for its money . Some people blnd buying could be in for ONE HELL OF AN EYE OPENER . Expecting Magnum P.I and getting nothing but Grit and grime realism .

Thing is though it is SO well done as a series . Grabs hold of you and no way dose it let go .

SO SO pleased that the same amount of effot from the series has gone into this edition .