TWC moves consumption-based internet billing to more markets

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
No, folks -- this is no prank. Time Warner Cable really is throwing caution (and public opinion) to the wind and moving forward with its evil consumption-based internet billing. If you'll recall, we heard that the operator was trialing the method -- which imposes premium rates on big broadband users -- back in early 2008, but now it seems it's quietly hoping to roll it out into more major markets. Starting this month, TWC will start gathering information on its customers' internet use in Austin, TX, San Antonio, TX, Rochester, NY and Greensboro, NC; if all goes "well," consumption billing will hit those markets this summer or sooner. We'll point you to the read link if you're interested in just how outrageous these capped plans look (particularly for internet TV viewers), but we'd be remiss of our duties if we didn't share this gem of a quote from TWC CEO CEO Glenn Britt: "We made a mistake early on by not defining our business based on the consumption dimension." Thanks for clarifying, Glenn-o

Link

Man I guess the first Texas city to try this out a few months back didn't put much of a fight....this is definitely not good for anyone. Man why is Verizon FIOS taking so damn long to roll out in my area! I am against this whole capping situation it's really not my problem I use more bandwidth than the neighbor, I guess the only thing left to do is people complain when they get this notice and hopefully TWC will get the point.

Time Warner's new data capping broadband scheme was never expected to win any popularity contests, and the details of its plans are so frustrating, that this probably should not come as a surprise. Regardless, it looks like the company's plan to further roll out testing of the consumption-based billing method has been foiled, or at least stalled, because it couldn't find enough customers to participate in the testing. TWC had planned to test in several loactions, including San Antonio and Austin, Texas, but the response has apparently been so negative, and there were so many complaints, that the company has "delayed" the trials until October. So... maybe if we keep moaning about it the plan will be abandoned altogether? Here's to hoping, anyway.

Well I am going to complain i am not taking this lightly it is not my fault the neighbor doesn't use his Internet and I use more than the usual user. Their prices are ridiculous too! $150 for unlimited? really?! we shouldn't be subjected to this :BS: companies want to take their content online with a scheme like this? I will complain if it comes here.

That's because Comcast wasn't able to really apply the same cap to their existing members I think your cap is 250GB, TWC wants to implement this to everyone. That's BS I am not paying more than what I already paying!

Comcast still put the cap on existing customers though. I got a letter in the mail saying something about it and how even though your an existing member somewhere in the agreement there is fine print on how they could legally do this. But even still with 250GB I haven't gone over on the limit.