"Unofficial" and "Fake" SteelBooks/Scam tip thread

lenochek04

BANNED
Oct 11, 2010
Marbella, Spain.
Hi All, I've renamed this thread, to allow anyone to post "fake" or "suspect" retailer or Ebay listings, so anyone can discuss/be warned. It allows traders to protect each other/discuss various listings that may or may not be authentic, officially supported Steelbook releases. -Digitalbabe.

From Lenocheck:
If any of you guys out there noticed a signed copy of Machete just sold on Ebay for over 200 dollars.
Was this an official steelbook or was this a FAKE ????
Would be interesting to read some of your opinions......as I thought it wasnt released yet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....10679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1566wt_1141

Attachments

• scam1.jpeg
    scam1.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:
A few months back I saw a Toy Story trilogy Blu-ray steelbook on eBay, I asked the seller where it came from I asked "Is this steelbook from the US?" they said "Yes" and after searching all over Google, search results proved inconclusive. Must've been a fake. I've also seen a similar steelbook for The Lion King, in a tin case with a blue banner at the top with I believe was Chinese text on the front.

Kick Ass 1+2 Steelbook...

They didn't even bother to remove the "Final Artwork TBC" from the image they used. :hilarious:

From the corners looks like a bad attempt at a stickerbook.
While I haven't checked properly, it looks like all the seller's "steelbooks" may be fake at first glance.

Edit: Just noticed the Resident Evil posted above was from the same seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: lolwut
Does anyone have any informations on such a steelbook of Resident Evil???

Ebay Link

$_57.JPG

I asked him where he got this and he replied:
I got it as a gift from my father, i guess he bought it in a tax free shop somewhere in the U.S.A but I'm not sure
So can any of our American Ninjas confirm this is from the US?

I complained about the Thor one and it's gone now!

EDIT: It looks like all his 'SteelBooks' have been removed from ebay.co.uk

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Towser and lolwut
Has to be a fake and i would say the same for his The Little Mermaid trilogy steelbook he also is listing

Whatever happened to this thread?

I've just found this, it looks a bit suspect, eh?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Lion-...t=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item3f44cc54c3

Has to be a fake and i would say the same for his The Little Mermaid trilogy steelbook he also is listing
I messaged the seller and received the following reply:
Hi.
USA - Australia but all suitable for UK.
Bought both before Xmas as gifts but didn't mean to get bluray as my gran daughter does not have that player. Too late to return after Xmas
Thanks for enquiry.

I say fake! :)
Checking the "fake thread" over at br.com assures me. Note that he is not showing the spine in the pic, this is metal pak I belive.
This together with Mermaid and Spiderman have been up now and then if you google it. Sending you the link now

Cheers!

Last edited:
I've just been scammed on ebay for a steel I won at auction from a user called frozen_elsa. It seems this person has also sold a number of Guardians of the Galaxy steels (as well as a couple of PS4s) and taken the money and run - there's a flood of negative feedback from the last few days. Has anyone else here been done by this vermin?

I've just been scammed on ebay for a steel I won at auction from a user called frozen_elsa. It seems this person has also sold a number of Guardians of the Galaxy steels (as well as a couple of PS4s) and taken the money and run - there's a flood of negative feedback from the last few days. Has anyone else here been done by this vermin?

No not by them same thing with a ps4 game never arrived . After a week , opend a claim through PayPal settled in my favour only took 6 hours .

No not by them same thing with a ps4 game never arrived . After a week , opend a claim through PayPal settled in my favour only took 6 hours .

Thanks Scary Hair. Some of the recent feedback mentions they couldn't get a refund because the "seller"'s Paypal was frozen. That can't be right, can it? The whole point of Paypal is to protect you from crap like this. Anyway, I opened a case a couple of days ago but have to wait until the 29th July before they escalate and I hopefully get my money back.

I'm also going to report it to the police - it's automated and they give you a crime number. This sort of thing really gets on my wick.

@Scary Hair Actually you've just helped me realise I can claim through Paypal right away. Thanks - have done that and fingers crossed...

WELCOME Sweetheart I almost diden't reply as it was a different seller. I put the claim in 24 hrs after ebay pulled the listing . Then I had to wait something like 7 or 8 days .

Paypal sent me a message has this been resolved ? long those lines . My reply was basicly NO .

Under 2hs later solved in my favour so quick the settlement . Nerve wracking the week wait ALL good in the end .

Don't see why you shouldn't get the same result :thumbs:.

Reactions: Headhunter