Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (4K+3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Amazon Exclusive) [UK]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: November 27, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon UK
Price: £29.99 - £41.99 - £25

91cWOPWHFnL._SY445_.jpg

81TAwSTbWNL._SL1500_.jpgA11iGwW90CL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The weird thing is I put the 4K disc in my Xbox X and it works perfect!
That will be because 4k discs are not region encoded at all, unlike standard blu-ray discs (including 3D ones). Always best to check whether blu-rays are region
locked before importing. These forums are a good source for that sort of info.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
If anyone can help with an issue im having with Valerian 4K/3D/2D I Imported to the US from Amazon UK. I was looking forward to first watching this in 3D but on my Xbox X as well as my PS4 Pro it came up with a region code message that it can not play the 3D movie. I attached a pic of what the message says on both consoles for the 3D Disc not working.

The weird thing is I put the 4K disc in my Xbox X and it works perfect! So, I am not sure why the 3D would be locked if the 4K disc is working fine from the same packaging? All the Disc show the “12” region code number on the discs, but like I said the 4K disc works. I already had the 4K/2D from Best Buy so I was hoping to get the 3D and the reason I like this combo better, but really disappointed I cant get the 3D disc to play... Shame on LionsGate and all greedy media companies that do this STUPID LOCK AND THEY WILL LOSE GLOBAL CUSTOMERS IN DUE TIME.. This left a bad vibe to buying movies and supporting physical media. I may be done buying movies and all due to Region Lock; killed the enjoyment.. Thanks movie companies from being so diseconnected to your loyal customers that spends a great deal of money on your products and I cant even watch this in 3D Because you locked it... Thats some shady SH**! But lets have the 4K disc work. Go Figure?

I didnt bother to test the blu ray since i only watch 3D/4K; the blu rays I give away to family... If anyone has any sugeestions to play Valerian 3D on either of my consoles, I really appreciate the help.

Also, its werid that I also imported Thor Ragnarok 3D through Amazon UK to the US and that worked Perfect too. Why would Valerian 3D not work, but Thor does work as well as the 4K disc working for Valerian and they all have “12” region code written on them..

Should this 3D Valerian disc work, is it defective or is this one for some odd reason region locked so tight that I cant play it on my upgraded consoles? Fans drop so much money into these companies and Sony or Microsoft cant offer multi regional players for god sake; make cuatomers happy and listen for once... NO ONE THAT is a customer of movies wants REGION LOCKS...

Amazon UK saw that im importing Valerian and didnt tell me the 3D wouldnt work. I heard ps4 is region free, but it must not be or else this 3D movie would work. I want to know why Thor 3D Import worked with same “12” region code on it? If they both rock the “12” code and one works when one doesnt then how do i know what 3D movies will work or not in the US?

If i knew this I would have just been cool with my Best Buy version since its the same exact steelbook minus the 3D, but apparently i cant watch the 3D here in America anyway because media companies hate us for some reason. Even when Spending cash on buying the Best Buy one and then more on the import to still find out I cant watch the 3D. We support them by buying multiple versions of the same movie and they Thank the Fans by LOCKING 3D to certain countries is flat out nonsense... Samsung, Sony whoever there are many in the states with 3D tv and we want to import with region FREE!

This is just cruel to do to customers having part of the import package work on my decices, but the most wanted disc does not work and as a world wide community buying things internationally with thanks to places like Amazon they better start thinking to get with the god D*mn times and do away with region lock.... Thanks Amazon UK for giving me a DUD... I thought Ps4 is suppose to be region free for games and movies... Sony, thats a thumbs down when u block my 3D movie as well as thumbs doen to Microsoft for giving me the same error message.

1yvjad.jpg

Region locking isn't new, it's been around since the days of VHS (NTSC/PAL incompatibility), every DVD is region locked, some BD/3D are (varies by distributor) and all UHD are region free. Different companies can own the distribution rights in different territories and cannot freely distribute a movie outside of that region, even streaming sites use a form of region locking for this reason, hence the popularity of VPNs. It's a pain for consumers, however if you plan to regularly buy from outside the US you can buy a region free player.

Last edited:
That will be because 4k discs are not region encoded at all, unlike standard blu-ray discs (including 3D ones). Always best to check whether blu-rays are region
locked before importing. These forums are a good source for that sort of info.

Thanks, but all this does is give a sour taste to global customers and will eventually lose out on sales.. I wont support this poor business practice and why is 4k region free but they intentionally locked 3D is flat out messed up.. Its like someone in power really wants 3D to fail... I cant belive so basically i cant see this movie in 3D if I live in the states but mean while mega Glomerate Amazon will still sell it to me knowing the 3D content wont work and for the studios to do this is a slap in the face to the ones that buy many of these movies as well as multiple versions... Well they wont have my money any longer unless 3D gets region free...

Also, why did Thor Ragnarok 3D Import from UK work and thats not a 4K disc? So why have that work, but not Valerian.. They are both 3D blu rays from the same region, but one works as one doesnt, why?

Region locking isn't new, it's been around since the days of VHS (NTSC/PAL incompatibility), every DVD is region locked, some BD/3D are (varies by distributor) and all UHD are region free. Different companies can own the distribution rights in different territories and cannot freely distribute a movie outside of that region, even streaming sites use a form of region locking for this reason, hence the popularity of VPNs. It's a pain for consumers, however if you plan to regularly buy from outside the US you can buy a region free player.

I understand back in the day all the lock region crap for VHS etc... but now we are more then ever connected to a worldwide marketplace, so companies need to follow pursuit and get with the times that consumers want the best product and will not be satisfied to get a 4k/2d version when a 4k/3D/2D exists with same packaging in a neighboring country ..

I feel as more people can easily shop with places like Worldwide Amazon, then people will buy less if they can get a better version finding out in shock its locked.. The more that get connected to a worldwide consumer market will hopefully not spend on locked media and vote with their wallets. i know i am!

Also, if 4k disc can be region free, then why cant 3D?? Who makes these stupid rules.. People in power at these studios are whack!!

Can people not care so much about money and do business to make ohers happy. By doing that is listening to the masses and if 4K can be region free as well as they can have region free players then everything should be region free...

There is no good reason why Valerian 3D should not work on my devices when Thor 3D import works and both were sold from Amazon UK. What is stopping LionsGate from having 3D in the states?? Nothing..

Amazon region information is never reliable as they often default to local region. SO 2/B for UK

Many people have region free or region compatible players so why wouldn’t amazon sell to you?

It’s also down to the distributor/manufacturer or studio as to whether a disc is locked or not.

I doubt it’s a massive conspiracy to see 3D fail as many Asian releases are 3D which isn’t A and compatible with America. It’s not just Europe that gets 3D, so might be worth checking where yo are buying from or check on here before buying, see what regions a disc will work om

• Thanks
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Amazon region information is never reliable as they often default to local region. SO 2/B for UK

Many people have region free or region compatible players so why wouldn’t amazon sell to you?

It’s also down to the distributor/manufacturer or studio as to whether a disc is locked or not.

I doubt it’s a massive conspiracy to see 3D fail as many Asian releases are 3D which isn’t A and compatible with America. It’s not just Europe that gets 3D, so might be worth checking where yo are buying from or check on here before buying, see what regions a disc will work om

Whatever companies suck and I'm gonna steal movies since they want to play the greedy Locked region game for no real good reason when the same 3D movie exists region free at another retailer. So, F*c* the studios that release in one area the 3D movie for all regions (NOVA Media) and then UK lock the same 3D movie is just BS! LionsGate can go F*C* themselves because greed is the only thing region lock exists... Any studio and manafacturer doing Region locks please burn in HELL.

I would feel much better if old Timers instead of sticking with crappy old policies need to improve in the future because like I said I'm not scared to not pay for it anymore when they don't care and just do whatever they want. Then, me the customer will do whatever I want and take it from them. Making customers to track down a 3D disc is nonsense and if anything the studio should sell one version 3D disc that can play anywhere. Now, if I want to see Valerian in 3D I would have to buy the Nova Media after I bought the Best Buy and U.K. VERSIONS is just messed up and the reason I don't care to steal another copy when they milked me many times. I want to watch a product that most of the World has for sale, but in the states this movie has no 3D release and then they lock the U.K. ONE BUT HAVE THE AUDACITY to have all 4K discs region free?

No one has given a reason why 4K discs are all region free but for BD/3D have region locks... why is this happening when we live in the Future in a worldwide market place now.... This is not 20 years ago studios ! Get with the times and do away with region locks!

If 4K has no lock then all formats can have no lock. If they sell region free players then why can't all players be region free? (Microsoft/Sony??) Its flat out BS what these companies do. Please, does anyone know why 4K is all region free when they lock all other formats? Lions Gate you suck for locking the UK 3D but Nova has it for all regions and its the same 3D DISC... I'm done buying movie discs when shady companies want to sell their products this way is poor global business. Now, I have a useless import that won't play due to a locked code that shouldn't even exist .....

You know companies can profit as well as make their customers happy, but if they keep doing shady practices as this is not good for anyone. The easier it gets to buy imports, the more that will see eventually and also feel cheated that one area gets the middle finger while others can watch that content and not even give me a chance to import unlocked as they don't sell it here is flat out bad business.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc
Thanks, but all this does is give a sour taste to global customers and will eventually lose out on sales.. I wont support this poor business practice and why is 4k region free but they intentionally locked 3D is flat out messed up.. Its like someone in power really wants 3D to fail... I cant belive so basically i cant see this movie in 3D if I live in the states but mean while mega Glomerate Amazon will still sell it to me knowing the 3D content wont work and for the studios to do this is a slap in the face to the ones that buy many of these movies as well as multiple versions... Well they wont have my money any longer unless 3D gets region free...

Also, why did Thor Ragnarok 3D Import from UK work and thats not a 4K disc? So why have that work, but not Valerian.. They are both 3D blu rays from the same region, but one works as one doesnt, why?

:yawn:

• Thanks
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Whatever companies suck and I'm gonna steal movies since they want to play the greedy Locked region game for no real good reason when the same 3D movie exists region free at another retailer. So, F*c* the studios that release in one area the 3D movie for all regions (NOVA Media) and then UK lock the same 3D movie is just BS! LionsGate can go F*C* themselves because greed is the only thing region lock exists... Any studio and manafacturer doing Region locks please burn in HELL.

I would feel much better if old Timers instead of sticking with crappy old policies need to improve in the future because like I said I'm not scared to not pay for it anymore when they don't care and just do whatever they want. Then, me the customer will do whatever I want and take it from them. Making customers to track down a 3D disc is nonsense and if anything the studio should sell one version 3D disc that can play anywhere. Now, if I want to see Valerian in 3D I would have to buy the Nova Media after I bought the Best Buy and U.K. VERSIONS is just messed up and the reason I don't care to steal another copy when they milked me many times. I want to watch a product that most of the World has for sale, but in the states this movie has no 3D release and then they lock the U.K. ONE BUT HAVE THE AUDACITY to have all 4K discs region free?

No one has given a reason why 4K discs are all region free but for BD/3D have region locks... why is this happening when we live in the Future in a worldwide market place now.... This is not 20 years ago studios ! Get with the times and do away with region locks!

If 4K has no lock then all formats can have no lock. If they sell region free players then why can't all players be region free? (Microsoft/Sony??) Its flat out BS what these companies do. Please, does anyone know why 4K is all region free when they lock all other formats? Lions Gate you suck for locking the UK 3D but Nova has it for all regions and its the same 3D DISC... I'm done buying movie discs when shady companies want to sell their products this way is poor global business. Now, I have a useless import that won't play due to a locked code that shouldn't even exist .....

You know companies can profit as well as make their customers happy, but if they keep doing shady practices as this is not good for anyone. The easier it gets to buy imports, the more that will see eventually and also feel cheated that one area gets the middle finger while others can watch that content and not even give me a chance to import unlocked as they don't sell it here is flat out bad business.
giphy.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: yeslek and Kizza
why did Thor Ragnarok 3D Import from UK work and thats not a 4K disc? So why have that work, but not Valerian.. They are both 3D blu rays from the same region, but one works as one doesnt, why?
That all depends on the studio as to whether they decide to region lock it or make it region free.

Amazon UK do tell you the region codes of any blu-rays or DVDs in the description, although that isn't always correct as they tend to assume that all European releases will be Region B (blu-ray) or Region 2 (DVD) and North American ones Region A (blu-ray) or Region 1 (DVD). For any North American releases listed on the Amazon UK website, there is usually a warning that it may not play in Europe unless using a region free player.

However, some reviewers may report whether it is actually region free or not, and I have relied on that information rather than the Amazon listing itself. As well as these forums, another good source for checking the actual region coding of any release is blu-ray.com

Best advice is always to do a little research first, and try and get it from a reliable source where someone has tried the actual discs.

A pain, I agree, but with 4K being designed as region free from the outset and fewer studios locking standard blu-rays and DVDs these days it is thankfully becoming less of an issue.

An interesting development when blu-ray players were first launched in the UK was that it was very easy to make them region free for DVD playback with a simple remote control hack - easily found on the Internet. In the early days of DVD players, you could easily pay an additional £100 or more to buy a modified player from an independent retailer to get a region free model (especially for the players from the big names like Sony and Panasonic that had to have a hardware modification, which then invalidated the manufacturer's warranty!).

Last edited by a moderator:

If it was region free from another retailer, why risk an buy from amazon?

Forgive me but am beginning to believe you may just be trolling on this now,...

If it was region free from another retailer, why risk an buy from amazon?

Forgive me but am beginning to believe you may just be trolling on this now,...

First of all, a troll wouldn't sit here and write a long post as I did. How is that trolling???

If you understood that the region free Valareian 3D from Nova only has the 3D/2D versions as the UK Amazon has the steel with 4k/3D/2D, so obviously I wanted the version with all formats not realizing the 3D copy wouldnt work.

Meanwhile, Nova has the 3D version unlocked in a lesser pack is BS! The 3D disc no matter the retailer should have it unlocked if Nova has it then that 3D disc should be unlocked with all retailers selling it everywhere!

People are always so quick to say someone is trolling, but please tell me how I am trolling when all Im saying is theres no reason for UK 3D Disc to be locked when Nova has it region free, but of course the locked 3D disc from Amazon was the only retailer selling the steelbook with the 4k and 3D together...

I already bought the 4k steelbook at Best buy which is the same except it has no 3D. I didnt want to buy the versions seperatey when I know Amazon had them combo together and I wanted a steelbook version. North America is randomly picking and choosing what movie releases will get a 3D disc or not.. Retailers in the US are super inconsistent with there releases.. Such as Gurdians of the Galaxy 2 we get a steelbook 4k/3D/2D/Digi and the Thor Ragnarok comes with a 4k steel and No 3D at all (Not even seperately), but rest of the world gets both!

Then here in the states they release Justice League with 4k and 3D in separate packaging. The rest of the world gets the same 4k steel book as Best Buy, but their versions include it as a 4k/3D combo pack... So Best Buy can seperate the versions, not include it at all or include it very inconsistently when most of the world gets it combo together on a regular basis.

I dont want to have to buy the 3D version from one area and then the 4k. Thats the reason I liked the UK Amazon offering since it had all the formats I wanted in one package as a steelbook not knowing the 3D wouldnt work..

I was told by sony that there blu ray player is region free and can play any disc which is a LIE... It only works for their games and not movies, but Sony did not say that and said all their disc play.. SMH at you SONY...

I dont want to spend additioanl money on a region free player when I have a Ps4 Pro and Xbox X which one of those major brands should allow their consoles to play region free movies when they allow the games to be makes no sense..

These movie studios doing these LOCKS can seriously burn in Hell and it makes it hard to support a studio when knowing their shady business tactics!

No more LionsGate movies ever for me and when I have a bad experience, I move on and never give that company my business again.

I AM NOT a TROLL and just want A FAIR WORLDWIDE release that all consumers will want which is including all FORMATS together and having all Discs Region Free just like 4k Discs are!!

So, at least when inconsistent America doesnt release the best version of the movie or sells the 3D version everywhere else at least there could be an option to import it if its region free, but putting these locks on them and keeping customers from viewing their version of the movie due to a region lock when I paid money that contributes to that studio is flat out inconsiderate on the studios part!

I was told by sony that there blu ray player is region free and can play any disc which is a LIE... It only works for their games and not movies, but Sony did not say that and said all their disc play.. SMH at you SONY...

I highly doubt that anybody at Sony told you that their Blu-ray player is region-free. To the best of my knowledge, Sony has NEVER released a region-free Blu-ray player.

I highly doubt that anybody at Sony told you that their Blu-ray player is region-free. To the best of my knowledge, Sony has NEVER released a region-free Blu-ray player.
To be fair, the PS3 (and 4?) is region free for games, but not films. Maybe the Sony rep was confused.

In any case, the PS3 can be made region free if running cfw, so in a way they HAVE released a region free blu-ray player.

Reactions: Alf_1

I am talking about the PS 4, I was told is region free. They failed onmention that it's only for Games and not movies when I specifically asked about movies.. Games can be region free but movies can't is whack!

What do I need to do to my ps 3 to make it region free?.. anymore info is highly appreciated. Thanks

I am talking about the PS 4, I was told is region free. They failed onmention that it's only for Games and not movies when I specifically asked about movies.. Games can be region free but movies can't is whack!

What do I need to do to my ps 3 to make it region free?.. anymore info is highly appreciated. Thanks
Google “PS3 Rebug”. Tis very easy nowadays to achieve.

Reactions: Alf_1
Yes, didn't bother at the end of last year … and then it disappeared … not gonna miss again.
… good to see this fully loaded Amazon exclusive back for a not unreasonable 25 quid.
1532352121037.png