WB to stores: No more Harry Potter films shipped after 12/29

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per EW:

Harry Potter said his last goodbye this summer, with the release of the franchise’s final chapter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2, and Warner Bros. seems determined to prove they really meant it. As of Dec. 29, no more Harry Potter theatrical film titles (including Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection) will be shipped to stores, initiating a profitable home entertainment model not unlike the one at Disney, which periodically re-releases its classics for home purchase. (Warner Bros.’ moratorium on Potter will not include digital — Electronic Sell-Through and VOD — or games).
Since Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was released in 2001, the Harry Potter franchise has grossed more than $12.1 billion for Warner Bros. Entertainment — $5.1 billion of which came from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It’s fair to say that figure will grow even larger this holiday season, as children and young adults who grew up with the books and movies feel the pressure to snap up the Complete 8-Film Collection — at around $60 — while they still can.

Last edited:
Jimmy-yeah the only set of people this benefits is the studio. This has worked 'famously' with Disney's 'vault', and in the face of the rise of digital delivery, this gives them an excuse to create a temporary 'urgent' sales window in the consumer's mind, for the discs. Never good, when the consumer's options are limited, imo...at least for the consumer....

i dont think this moratorium works, i think you should be able to buy a movie when you want.... imagine a movie not selling for 5 years... there will be a gap between viewers

I just read where WB was interviewed ... while no physical media will be shipped past 12/31 you can still get the titles via download services.

Also they admitted the reason was 12-18 months later they wanted to "eventize" the releases again with new stuff and that if the titles were readily available it would not create a sense of urgency for stores and consumers a like to order these new editions etc. if the product was already readily available with old skus. (ie. cheaper prices imo.)