What are you buying next for your Home Theater(s)?

Thanks @AcIDc0r3 !
Still doing some research for my heights and side surrounds.
I am seriously considering Bipoles for side surround.
I was also a hair away from getting a Denon avr-x4400H when I was like "why are there so few around?" Then I realized that it's successor is literally coming in a month!
(A MAJOR upgrade: it can do menus over 4K signal!)

Thanks @AcIDc0r3 !
Still doing some research for my heights and side surrounds.
I am seriously considering Bipoles for side surround.
I was also a hair away from getting a Denon avr-x4400H when I was like "why are there so few around?" Then I realized that it's successor is literally coming in a month!
(A MAJOR upgrade: it can do menus over 4K signal!)
Double nice!
I've had my eye on the Onkyo TX-RZ830 for a little while now but I still need to wait until I get a new 4K TV and player first. I have been looking at the OLED55C8PUA by LG and upon your advise on Sony TV's, I've been looking at the XBR55A8F both direct competitors so to speak. It won't be until tax season until I get one though so I have a little ways to wait still.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Double nice!
I've had my eye on the Onkyo TX-RZ830 for a little while now but I still need to wait until I get a new 4K TV and player first. I have been looking at the OLED55C8PUA by LG and upon your advise on Sony TV's, I've been looking at the XBR55A8F both direct competitors so to speak. It won't be until tax season until I get one though so I have a little ways to wait still.
Onkyo's are very good. (Isn't it weird hiw we get tribal about AVR's ?:LOL:) I used Onkyo's for more than a decade in my music studio, so...
Between TV's - just go with what you think is great. In so many ways, there is no "wrong".
I prefer a tv that is a blowtorch on brightness, and OLED is still not there on brightness for me yet.
If you like OLED - the perfect match is a Sony OLED - it's LG's OLED panel - but with Sony's decades of picture tech.
Of course, since price always is an issue, you have to figure what works for you at your price.
My best advice is to make a checklist and do lots and lots of reading and comparing.
(I recommend all the videos by HDTV test on YouTube, Rtaings (for tech stats at your fingertips), and just wade into AVS Forum!)

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Onkyo's are very good. (Isn't it weird hiw we get tribal about AVR's ?:LOL:) I used Onkyo's for more than a decade in my music studio, so...
Between TV's - just go with what you think is great. In so many ways, there is no "wrong".
I prefer a tv that is a blowtorch on brightness, and OLED is still not there on brightness for me yet.
If you like OLED - the perfect match is a Sony OLED - it's LG's OLED panel - but with Sony's decades of picture tech.
Of course, since price always is an issue, you have to figure what works for you at your price.
My best advice is to make a checklist and do lots and lots of reading and comparing.
(I recommend all the videos by HDTV test on YouTube, Rtaings (for tech stats at your fingertips), and just wade into AVS Forum!)
Yes I'm very meticulous when it comes to my AVR's. As far as OLED's, I'm more for color richness and prefer more of a warmer color tone. I don't like it too bright because when I sit down for a good movie I like to turn out all the lights out so a super blaring bright TV is too overpowering for me. What tech in particular are you referring to when it comes down to Sony's, I need to know what specifically to look for? Also I like the idea of those Ai TV's so I can use Alexa with it, I use her for all kinds of stuff already, why not my TV too. ;)

Last edited:
Yes I'm very meticulous when it comes to my AVR's. As far as OLED's, I'm more for color richness and prefer more of a warmer color tone. I don't like it too bright because when I sit down for a good movie I like to turn out all the lights out so a super blaring bright TV is too overpowering for me. What tech in particular are you referring to when it comes down to Sony's, I need to know what specifically to look for? Also I like the idea of those Ai TV's so I can use Alexa with it, I use her for all kinds of stuff already, why not my TV too. ;)
There s no particular Sony tech to look for - I am talking about their overall picture and color tech experience that goes back to 1950.
From Trinitron to Trilluminos- they have been in the picture game since the dawn of television. LG is new to this. They have the panels, but Not Sony's know-how with picture technology... the Extreme X1 Trilluminos is a beast!(But, as always- you be the judge!)
If you like a picture that is not explicitly bright - OLED may be fine for you. But, whatever you do - DO do some reading about ABL and ASBL on LG tvs. (Also- I always set up test videos for different scenes that I think can be a good test for the TV (color bars, dark scenes, action scenes, brightness and motion tests) - and put them on a USB and plug them in at the showroom to test the TVs. These tests can be found on the internet).
Also- I know many receivers are becoming Alexa friendly. My particular TV has an Alexa app. (So I can turn on and off, change volume with Alexa. It also could change channels, but every cable company has rendered cable-ready TV inputs null. I probably could change Inputs, though.)

Last edited:
There s no particular Sony tech to look for - I am talking about their overall picture and color tech experience that goes back to 1950.
From Trinitron to Trilluminos- they have been in the picture game since the dawn of television. LG is new to this. They have the panels, but Not Sony's know-how with picture technology... the Extreme X1 Trilluminos is a beast!(But, as always- you be the judge!)
If you like a picture that is not explicitly bright - OLED may be fine for you. But, whatever you do - DO do some reading about ABL and ASBL on LG tvs. (Also- I always set up test videos for different scenes that I think can be a good test for the TV (color bars, dark scenes, action scenes, brightness and motion tests) - and put them on a USB and plug them in at the showroom to test the TVs. These tests can be found on the internet).
Also- I know many receivers are becoming Alexa friendly. My particular TV has an Alexa app. (So I can turn on and off, change volume with Alexa. It also could change channels, but every cable company has rendered cable-ready TV inputs null. I probably could change Inputs, though.)
Well I found out about the LG OLED TV's ABL. This can be disabled in the service menu under the OLED> TPC and setting it to "0", then it won't dim any longer. It's a shame that you have to enter the service menu to do it though, this feature should be a regular feature in the settings imho.

I've decided on the LG OLED55E8PUA as it has the a9 processor which is equal to if not better than Sony's X1 Extreme processor from what I was reading. Just because Sony's been in the business of making TV's since the 50's doesn't mean they reign superior, in fact I consider LG ranked best of all of HDTV's but that's just my honest opinion. In fact I owned two Sony's that gave out before they should have, one at 5 years and another at 8 years but then again that was back in the CRT television days. Also the QLED is not really for me, I have double black curtains where I'll be using it and an OLED is more suited for my situation. I can see where some folks would be suited with an QLED over an OLED if they had a bright room though. Plus I don't really need to worry about burn-in because I don't really watch any TV that has static logos or pictures that would cause that. The most would be by gaming and a HUD overlay in one of the corners but I don't game long enough for that to really happen.

Well I found out about the LG OLED TV's ABL. This can be disabled in the service menu under the OLED> TPC and setting it to "0", then it won't dim any longer. It's a shame that you have to enter the service menu to do it though, this feature should be a regular feature in the settings imho.

I've decided on the LG OLED55E8PUA as it has the a9 processor which is equal to if not better than Sony's X1 Extreme processor from what I was reading. Just because Sony's been in the business of making TV's since the 50's doesn't mean they reign superior, in fact I consider LG ranked best of all of HDTV's but that's just my honest opinion. In fact I owned two Sony's that gave out before they should have, one at 5 years and another at 8 years but then again that was back in the CRT television days. Also the QLED is not really for me, I have double black curtains where I'll be using it and an OLED is more suited for my situation. I can see where some folks would be suited with an QLED over an OLED if they had a bright room though. Plus I don't really need to worry about burn-in because I don't really watch any TV that has static logos or pictures that would cause that. The most would be by gaming and a HUD overlay in one of the corners but I don't game long enough for that to really happen.
Yes. Many features should be an "opt in" rather than "opt out". (Like ABL or 60hz -120hz motion interpolation).
I hope that is the best tv for you! Good job on not buying a Samsung!:rofl::thumbs:

• Thanks
Have you bought your Sony yet, what model are you aiming for or have you bought?
I bought the 75" Sony Z9D a year ago. Still have a big smile on my face. :)(Also had one installed for my dad, and he loves it.)
It is an absolute beast.:thumbs: (And with 1400 nits of available brightness, the 3D is just perfect).
I wish I could have afforded the 100". (Alas, that was priced at $50K:wow:)

• Thanks
I bought the 75" Sony Z9D a year ago. Still have a big smile on my face. :)(Also had one installed for my dad, and he loves it.)
It is an absolute beast.:thumbs: (And with 1400 nits of available brightness, the 3D is just perfect).
I wish I could have afforded the 100". (Alas, that was priced at $50K:wow:)
WOW! 75"!? That's huge! :OMG: I wouldn't have any place for one that size. Nice! Congrats. :D

WOW! 75"!? That's huge! :OMG: I wouldn't have any place for one that size. Nice! Congrats. :D
Yes, no complaints!
But, everything is relative to the size of the room. A 75 may be too huge in one room, but fine for a bigger room.
As you can see, a 100" would have been just fine for the size of my room, without seeming too big.
(This is the 75")
386B1095-34F1-4977-9F70-5DF021E13921.jpeg

But, if you are willing to spend $50k on a tv - you should really just be looking into builing a home theater!!

• Thanks
Yes, no complaints!
But, everything is relative to the size of the room. A 75 may be too huge in one room, but fine for a bigger room.
As you can see, a 100" would have been just fine for the size of my room, without seeming too big.
(This is the 75")
View attachment 390657

But, if you are willing to spend $50k on a tv - you should really just be looking into builing a home theater!!
Very NICE! :notworthy: Yeah even the 65" would be too big where I'm putting it. This new LG will be my test bench for what's to come for the main room probably in a couple of years. Might consider Sony then as there is a huge window in there with lots of light.

Very NICE! :notworthy: Yeah even the 65" would be too big where I'm putting it. This new LG will be my test bench for what's to come for the main room probably in a couple of years. Might consider Sony then as there is a huge window in there with lots of light.
Sure. Different rooms require different considerations.
I Remember when I told my mother that I was getting 75 inch TV that she said "that's way too big!". But when you see it in relation to the room, it is just fine size wise. Perfectly balanced to the size of the room.
I'm already drooling about the new Z9F :rofl:. But, as expected- no 3D. (The Z9D and the LG 65" OLED C6 were the last 4K TV's with 3D.)
But, no worries! - I expect to love and enjoy the Z9D for many years, so I am a happy camper.:D

• Thanks
Sure. Different rooms require different considerations.
I'm already drooling about the new Z9F :rofl:. But, as expected- no 3D. The Z9D and the LG 65" OLED C6 were the last 4K TV's with 3D.
But, no worries! - I expect to love and enjoy the Z9D for many years, so I am a happy camper.:D
Yeah I know, there's just not enough demand for them. As @Wreck pointed out there still making 3D movies on Blu-ray but just not TV's so it's only a matter of time until Blu-rays drop 3D altogether. I have 3D TV and 3 pairs of liquid crystal 3D glasses and imho it's just not up to par yet. I'm anxious for the new holographic TV's demonstrated at CES 2018 to hit the mainstream market, then we'll have true 3D content. That's still a ways off though.

Yeah I know, there's just not enough demand for them. As @Wreck pointed out there still making 3D movies on Blu-ray but just not TV's so it's only a matter of time until Blu-rays drop 3D altogether. I have 3D TV and 3 pairs of liquid crystal 3D glasses and imho it's just not up to par yet. I'm anxious for the new holographic TV's demonstrated at CES 2018 to hit the mainstream market, then we'll have true 3D content. That's still a ways off though.
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. The technology is FINALLY here to deliver 3D correctly (added resolution and Brightness).
Yes, there are no 4K 3D blu rays - but my tv upconverts. So it is in essence delivering 4K 3D (1080p for each eye.)
PLUS - James Cameron is so invested in 3D, that he is gonna put the screws to theaters and home theater. He stated that the avatar sequels will ONLY be in 3D. I expect 3D will be back on TVs round about the time that Avatar 2 hits.
(Plus we live in a bubble - 3D is still very popular in other parts of the world).

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. The technology is FINALLY here to deliver 3D correctly (added resolution and Brightness).
Yes, there are no 4K 3D blu rays - but my tv upconverts. So it is in essence delivering 4K 3D (1080p for each eye.)
PLUS - James Cameron is so invested in 3D, that he is gonna put the screws to theaters and home theater. He stated that the avatar sequels will ONLY be in 3D. I expect 3D will be back on TVs round about the time that Avatar 2 hits.
(Plus we live in a bubble - 3D is still very popular in other parts of the world).
If so they really need to do something about the glasses because there really clunky, they need to seriously slim them down a bit making them lighter and easier to manage. Mine kind of give me a headache after wearing them for too long.

If so they really need to do something about the glasses because there really clunky, they need to seriously slim them down a bit making them lighter and easier to manage. Mine kind of give me a headache after wearing them for too long.
Yeah. One movie is enough. With glasses over my glasses - it puts a hurt on my nose!
(I also use premium 3D glasses, not the cheap ones)
I'm not sure that glassesless 3D is gonna be here that soon. (I know it's coming, though.)

• Thanks
Yes, no complaints!
(This is the 75")
View attachment 390657

Nice alien @C.C. 95 haha!

Nice alien @C.C. 95 haha!
:D Thanks, DB!!
The BIG CHAP!! (Had to search a bit to find him!)
He's just the tip of the Iceberg in my Alien statues!:rofl:.
(No - I did not get the lifesized alien! I could - but I believe lifesized statues look ridiculous in people's homes!)
2AC5B63D-112D-4951-87FB-D027E9665192.jpeg
5DFE8CF0-B6CB-4A04-84F4-8266535B94A4.jpeg

I am also the lucky owner of one one of the few H.R. GIGER Ibanez Alien guitars (with his certificate of authenticity and signature)
It's made of wood but covered in zinc alloy. So it's literally a metal guitar! (And plays like a dream. But that's because I had a professional setup done.:D)
Giger called the design the "Alien Matrix".
40E570DC-9A89-4654-9F1A-BBB82A29A2E2.jpeg

76DAF1DF-4CD0-439A-A600-F978FF10B875.jpeg
71C13464-3A1A-443B-B9F8-841078CB7FDE.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm already drooling about the new Z9F :rofl:.
Just checked out the Sony A9F, DAMN! Looks badass. $3500 though...jeez I might be able to get it but if not I’ll have settle for LG E8 instead, which is what I originally decided on anyways. I still have to budget for a 4K player too. You know the LG TV’s dropped in price after a little bit but the Sony TV prices aren’t dropping. :confused: The E8 has dropped 7% & the C8 16% since it’s been added to my wishlist but the A8F hasn’t dropped at all. ...go figure?