Whiplash (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Apr 1, 2013
London
Release: June 1st, 2015
Purchase: Whiplash
Price: £20.99
Notes: Gloss with debossed title
Artwork as selected by Damien Chazelle from the Empire Online competition.

FRONT.JPG

BACK.JPG
steel1.jpg
steel2.jpg
steel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lost all excitement for this release now. Will wait for a price drop, and genuinely feel for the original winner… Seems really unprofessional to change the winner like that, although I much prefer this version. Just bored of all the BS that come with steelbooks lately.

For clarity, this was changed I believe due to legalities around the use of the arm (Man With The Golden Arm) and not down to any negative reaction from any forum or otherwise.

Yay! I kept my pre-order but I was going to see how I felt around the time it was going to release and deciding if I should cancel it then since I really didn't like the art at all, really love bottlerocket's art though and now I'm super glad I kept my pre-order.

Re-ordered, with a hint of caution; Yes, I love the artwork, but with a dull finish this could come out as bad as The Imitation Game steelbook..

Also; £20.99 is a bit steep, but will decide nearer the time whether to stick or twist...

Reactions: lolwut
OK I AM FREAKIN OUT RIGHT NOW :OMG: The artwork that we loved and complained that it wasn't chosen and they had chosen the weird drawing ugly one, THEY NOW CHANGED TO THE ONE WE LOVED the Golden Cymbal ???? Am I reading all this right ? it is really confirmed and won't be changed again ?

Please anyone just a quick FYI !!!

OMG replaced my orders that I had cancelled !

Is this really happening for real ???

Just reread everything I can't believe this, the Artwork we so loved was finally chosen ! This is sooooo Exciting !

Re-ordered !

I just Loved this design from the start when I saw it, such a beautiful Classy Original design, simple yet superb !
I was so disappointed when the one with the drawing of the crooked arm won, I had cancelled my orders.
Now just happened to come across to this design on the site now wondering what is happening other country are releasing the Golden Cymbal design ???
what is going on ?

and I fell upon Zavvi Thead and read the last 4 pages and saw what happened, this is just too sweet !
Wow what a treat !

For clarity, this was changed I believe due to legalities around the use of the arm (Man With The Golden Arm) and not down to any negative reaction from any forum or otherwise.
So did the director just happen to pick this as his second choice? Or was it Empire that picked it?

What was the chances of that, out of all the other entries??!!

Hmmmm......methinks the 'copyright infringement' card may have been played after the mass cancellation of orders!!

Reactions: toonminator
While the film is good, I think asking for nearly €30 for this is a bit much. I know a lot of people who haven't even heard of this movie yet.

So I'm hoping it won't appeal to the masses and will drop in price eventually.

Also, they can't afford to give this a cheap matte finish. It needs glossing up!

Maybe a matte background with spot glossed cymbals would work.

Completely agree. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by a particular film poster or theme, it happens all the time. This was not artistic theft.
My thoughts exactly! Search "art like Saul Bass" on any search engine and there's tons of results that use his style, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Pretty much any artwork can be compared to something else nowadays. I very much doubt it was down to copyright infringement anyway... but I guess we'll never know the real reason for the change.