WiiU Wii U - is it worth buying?

Jun 18, 2014
St. Albans, UK
Hey,

For some reason I've been wanting to get a Wii U lately - is it honestly worth it :confused: I havent played the old Wii very much lately but dont want to lose it due to that being able to play classic Gamecube games (Paper Mario 2 is amazing) :D.

Is the Wii U VC able to play retro games in their original resolution? On the Wii they look horrible blown up to 480p. :(
Can you transfer them or do you have to buy them again? I have Paper Mario (N64), Super Mario RPG (SNES) and various demos.
Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U looks good actually and some of the music sounds amazing.

Personally, i can't stand Nintendo, so keep that in mind as you read this. My wife, however, is a serious Nintendo fan, and has been playing the company's consoles & games since she was 4 years old. Other than the stuff that hasn't been available for purchase in the US - she has owned every Nintendo console / handheld that was released in the US, as well as a ludicrous collection of games for all of them.

That said, she absolutely loves the Wii U. She says that being able to play games like Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8 and even Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends - in 1080P at 60FPS is truly a marvel. Everything looks and sounds so crazy good, it's a wonder why more people haven't purchased a Wii U yet. Granted, at first it felt like "too little, too late" - but now that great games are being released, it's definitely worth it.

The controller / pad takes a bit to get used to, but once you're familiarized with it, it's hard to put it down. Games that integrate the pad's screen into the gameplay happening on the TV are a lot of fun and add a deeper sense of "being in control" of your game. Obviously, the biggest deal in regards to the pad is the fact that you can play most of the games on the actual pad, with your TV turned off. This is honestly a fantastic feature, and there are plenty of nights where i'll be playing a PS3 / PS4 game on the TV while she sits right next to me, playing Mario Kart 8 on that gamepad. As for the gamepad's screen, it's 480P / 158 PPI / 16:9 - and honestly, games look great on there, too.

I asked her about the classic Nintendo games, and she says they will have to be re-purchased, but they are discounted to $0.99 - $1.99 depending on which console the game was originally released. She tells me the Wii U's selection isn't as great as the Wii's, but they add more as time goes on. As for the resolution, she says Nintendo doesn't do anything to "optimize" or "remaster" the classics, so they look just as ****** as they do on the Wii. However, playing them on the gamepad works really well, and they look just fine.

So, do i think it's worth it? It most definitely is. Will you think it's worth it? I don't know, but i do hope this post will aid you in making a decision. :)

I have a Wii U, purchased the special Red Mario Wii bundle in the UK when Mario Kart 8 came out. There is a Wii mode so you can play that, and the classic games are the same but on the new nintendo store kind of thing, its much improved its online and accessibility.

Nintendo are looking at bringing back games from the Gamecube in higher quality as well, I have The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD on Wii U and its ridiculously good, the graphics are amazing. Theres rumours of a Super Mario Sunshine HD as well.

The old school games are the same, but the soon to be released titles like Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Legend of Zelda, as well as lots of characters (Yoshi, Toad, Fox) having their own based games make it well worth the purchase.

The Wii U remote is great, i was going to get the pro controller but i decided against it, but if its not your thing, there's the pro controller, old wii remotes, as well as a gamecube controller adapter and wii u fight pad releasing.

Do it, man. If i was more into Nintendo, i doubt i'd ever turn it off.

I'm waiting for Devil's Third, myself. If that turns out well, i'll have to pry the console away from the wife. :D