Will there be The Hobbit and LOTR Ultimate Edition on Blu-ray?

Sep 11, 2011
I just wanted to start a speculative thread if this is the right place for it.

Now that Battle of the Five armies has been released, I was wondering if there will be plans to release an 'ultimate' or definitive edition with extended versions of all six movies in a box set or some other collective packaging? It would be good to hear your views and also if you've heard anything through the grapevines.

I think it's a given that they'll be some extended box set for the hobbit specially xmas!
What I'd like to see is a blufans / kimchi tripack exclusive of both

I just wanted to start a speculative thread if this is the right place for it.

Now that Battle of the Five armies has been released, I was wondering if there will be plans to release an 'ultimate' or definitive edition with extended versions of all six movies in a box set or some other collective packaging? It would be good to hear your views and also if you've heard anything through the grapevines.

Have a read of this mate -

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/010715_1515

• Informative
Reactions: dirtyoak
Without a doubt there will be a Super Mega Ultimate Middle-Earth Box set that will have extended and branching editions of all movies, with extras that will take a year to get through. It probably will come in a Deluxe Super Mega box that will take a small forklift and unhinging of the front door (what, with the box itself upon opening becomes a a giant full sized relief map of all of Middle Earth. The instructions recommend a dedicated room in your home, or quite possibly an addition...). Once open, you will need to set up the hologram machine from which a 3D Peter Jackson will guide you through all of the steps to 1) enjoy your new Middle Earth box/room 2) the proper way to schedule your viewing (as it will take a year) 3) strategies to avoid work to consume the material and 4) a number for recommended divorce lawyers for the inevitable and regrettable uncoupling that a proper all-encompassing consumption of the Middle-Earth Masterwork will inevitably cause with your significant other...:(
But it will be a wonderfully, gorgeously, beautiful thing...(!):thumbs:
ItsSoBeautifulCrying_zps67298399.gif

Last edited:
Without a doubt there will be a Super Mega Ultimate Middle-Earth Box set that will have extended and branching editions of all movies, with extras that will take a year to get through. It probably will come in a Deluxe Super Mega box that will take a small forklift and unhinging of the front door (what, with the box itself upon opening becomes a a giant full sized relief map of all of Middle Earth. The instructions recommend a dedicated room in your home, or quite possibly an addition...). Once open, you will need to set up the hologram machine from which a 3D Peter Jackson will guide you through all of the steps to 1) enjoy your new Middle Earth box/room 2) the proper way to schedule your viewing (as it will take a year) 3) strategies to avoid work to consume the material and 4) a number for recommended divorce lawyers for the inevitable and regrettable uncoupling that a proper all-encompassing consumption of the Middle-Earth Masterwork will inevitably cause with a significant other...:(

Not good enough. Will be hoping for a little more. :p

Reactions: C.C. 95
Without a doubt there will be a Super Mega Ultimate Middle-Earth Box set that will have extended and branching editions of all movies, with extras that will take a year to get through. It probably will come in a Deluxe Super Mega box that will take a small forklift and unhinging of the front door (what, with the box itself upon opening becomes a a giant full sized relief map of all of Middle Earth. The instructions recommend a dedicated room in your home, or quite possibly an addition...). Once open, you will need to set up the hologram machine from which a 3D Peter Jackson will guide you through all of the steps to 1) enjoy your new Middle Earth box/room 2) the proper way to schedule your viewing (as it will take a year) 3) strategies to avoid work to consume the material and 4) a number for recommended divorce lawyers for the inevitable and regrettable uncoupling that a proper all-encompassing consumption of the Middle-Earth Masterwork will inevitably cause with your significant other...:(
lol!!! They'll no doubt screw us for every penny we got. Just hope it isn't an amaray set like LOTR extended edition was. That was disappointing. I think amazon will come out with a good one, probably kimchi as well.

lol!!! They'll no doubt screw us for every penny we got. Just hope it isn't an amaray set like LOTR extended edition was. That was disappointing. I think amazon will come out with a good one, probably kimchi as well.

I also think like that .. it isn't an amaray set like LOTR extended edition was..
g.png

I'm worried though that once it comes out (and it something like it will) that they'll decide to do more Middle Earth films.

A Thorin prequel? A film set after Lord of the Rings continuing Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn's adventures (new lore) or something else

It's a big money maker for them and I doubt they'll let Middle Earth rest with or without Jackson.

There's a good chance there will be sone kind of ultimate edition down the line. We now how Warmer like their re-releases! I don't think they would do it any time soon though, they will want to maximise sales of the existing separate editions first!

I'm worried though that once it comes out (and it something like it will) that they'll decide to do more Middle Earth films.

A Thorin prequel? A film set after Lord of the Rings continuing Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn's adventures (new lore) or someth
Oh- a Tom Bombadil Singing extravaganza would put a nail nicely into the head of the unwarranted sequels idea!!:rofl::LOL:

-"Just hope it isn't an amaray set like LOTR extended edition was. That was disappointing. I think amazon will come out with a good one, probably kimchi as well."-

Remember, that Trilogy of Books-style extended DVD set was THE BOMB! Better than anything that came after. I still have them. And I may replace the discs with the blus and take some rubbing alcohol to the DVD logo in the side!!
They are still one of the best packagings EVER.:)

Last edited:

A Thorin prequel? A film set after Lord of the Rings continuing Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn's adventures (new lore) or something else

It's a big money maker for them and I doubt they'll let Middle Earth rest with or without Jackson.

This wouldn't happen any time soon. Anything to do with Middle Earth (story lines, character names etc.) are all the intellectual property of the Tolkien estate and, as such, they hold all the copyrights. The estate (including Tolkien's son Christopher) have been quite vocal about the fact that they don't like what Jackson and the studios did with Lord of the Rings and they hate what they did with the Hobbit!! The chances of them signing the copyrights over to any film studio off the back of those 6 films are extremely slim.
It's a shame because I'd love to see parts of the Silmarillion and Children of Hurin turned into films as well!!

The Silmarillion was a fantastic book. Would have made more sense to make this or parts of it as the first film laying the foundations for The Hobbit and LOTR. A chance missed I'm afraid!! I think the DVD extended trilogy of LOTR was def the best version out so far. Not sure about the blu ray steelbooks though. Movies of this type based on the books look better within book style packaging. In this way it makes them look like an extension of the book. Don't know if anyone remembers this ultimate edition of The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe on DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000EOU1OM/?tag=hidefnin-21

You can see how well thought out it is and how it captures the 'feeling' of the book. Very beautiful. The blu rays for LOTR and Hobbit have generally been a let down. If they can do something similar to this packaging, I'd be very happy.