Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
Release date: October 7, 2019
Purchase link: Amazon UK
Price: £32.99 £16.54

71bNC1AvxLL._SL1500_.jpg

71MXbZQdWrL._SL1500_ (1).jpg71PeqNQdUUL._SL1500_.jpg91ttD0suXHL._SL1500_.jpg

darkphoenix_small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was this film so bad?!?!? I’ve even got love for the last stand and can stomach origins and apocalypse but this was just next level boring :sleep:

Interesting that this shows "X-Men" on the front and spine with the title.
The Best Buy SteelBook only says "Dark Phoenix" on the spine. I'm not sure if there is a title on the front due to the placement of the J-Card.

• Thanks
Reactions: Orange Splice
I personally liked the original artwork more. I too wonder if Best Buy's release will have the "X-men" added to the spine, or if they will leave it as is.

I posted this in the Best Buy threads, but just in case people are interested, IGN posted some details about the Steelbook's art:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/17/x-men-dark-phoenix-movie-steelbook-blu-ray-bill-sienkiewicz

We have an exclusive first look at the Dark Phoenix steelbook packaging, painted by New Mutants and Elektra: Assassin artist Bill Sienkiewicz.

We had the chance to talk with Sienkiewicz over the phone about the process of designing the steelbook art and get his thoughts on lending his own touch to a beloved story from the X-Men comics. Sienkiewicz told us that, despite not having worked on the original Dark Phoenix Saga from the comics, Fox approached him for the job because his unique art style was a match for the tone of the movie.

"For me, it was an opportunity to take what they were doing in the film and imbue it with a lot of the stuff I would have liked to have seen in the comics," said Sienkiewicz. "It's always an interesting mash-up."

Sienkiewicz noted that the rebooted X-Men series shares as much in common with his New Mutants work as it does the traditional X-Men comics.

"Even though the X-Men and New Mutants are sort of corollary, and the New Mutants are sort of a younger version of the X-Men and have their own essence, what they did with the relaunch... and going away from the earlier Bryan Singer versions to the newer ones with [James] McAvoy and [Michael] Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence, I always sort of viewed them in the same way."

Sienkiewicz told us one of the benefits of the assignment was an opportunity to move away from the traditional studio approach to movie posters and DVD covers and focus on the abstract design of the Phoenix. "I liked the idea of going simple and graphic with it. And then the back cover with just the X there. It works really wonderfully as a bookend, from the Phoenix on the front cover to the after-image of the X on the back cover, and then you have all the figures inside... It tells the story. It doesn't assault you with 50 characters on the cover. It says everything you need to know."

According to Sienkiewicz, because the steelbook cover is being marketed to a more collector-oriented audience, he faced few restrictions with his designs other than the need to adhere to the studio's actor likeness clauses. "The main thing is to nail the likenesses, but also just to run with the design and my technique, which can be everything from photorealistic to complete Abstract Expressionism. If anything, they were almost encouraging me to push it, which is usually not what you see in more of a commercial assignment. I couldn't be more thrilled with the collaborative process."

For fans who want to get their hands on this image ahead of the steelbook's release, Siekiewicz will also be holding a signing event at Comic-Con this week. The event will run from 2-4pm PST on Thursday, July 18 at Sienkiewicz's booth (#2614), with fans able to claim a limited number of free, signed art prints featuring his Dark Phoenix artwork.

I suppose it could look OK with the right finish but the steelbook does look rather similar to Mockingjay: Part One and it doesn't quite pull off the smoke ring trick:-
1563488948384.png
/
1563489451849.png
1563489126389.png

The "real" phoenix is a pretty impressive beastie (unlike the iteration on the steelbook):-
1563490048217.png

Ugh cancelled. This is awful. Why oh why do they consistently post great steelbook mock ups and then switch them for a pile of garbage before the release, what's the point in having two artworks, just come up with one GREAT artwork and stick to it.

I still find it a shame that this movie was not released in a 3D version. It played in theatres in 3D Imax , so the way I understand it , the movie company (Fox) now Disney, has 2 master tapes
1 for the normal 2D version viewing in theatres and one they have changed for the 3D Imax conversion

from this master real 2D they make the blu ray version for blu ray , and do a 4K conversion

but then you still have a 3D version lying around, or am I seeing this to simple , I am not a technician ??
I understand that you do not simply can put you theatre version unto blu ray disc, it takes time, money and the whole shabang but why not try make more money (the movie did not gross that much).
But it will probably be the reason that Disney did not want to invest any more money in Fox and my above proposal would of course cost a couple of dollars to produce

I understand that you do not simply can put you theatre version unto blu ray disc, it takes time, money and the whole shabang but why not try make more money (the movie did not gross that much).
But it will probably be the reason that Disney did not want to invest any more money in Fox and my above proposal would of course cost a couple of dollars to produce

As you've said Disney would probably not want to invest any more on it, knowing full well that anyone wanting to own the film in 3D is probably going to want to own it anyway regardless of whether there is a 3D disc available.

Reactions: Xenomorph