Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

Genre: Action, Science Fiction

Director: Simon Kinberg

Cast: Sophie Turner, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Evan Peters, Tye Sheridan, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Alexandra Shipp, Lamar Johnson, Summer Fontana, Kota Eberhardt, Scott Shepherd, Evan Jonigkeit, Gregg Lowe, Olivia Munn, Daniel Cudmore

Release: 2018-11-02

Plot: Gathered together by Professor Charles Xavier to protect a world that fears and hates them, the X-Men had fought many battles, been on adventures that spanned galaxies, grappled enemies of limitless might, but none of this could prepare them for the most shocking struggle they would ever face. One of their own members, Jean Grey, has gained power beyond all comprehension, and that power has corrupted her absolutely! Now they must decide if the life of the woman they cherish is worth the existence of the entire universe!

I saw your posts on Facebook earlier in the week... looks like you've been super hard at work dude!

Hopefully you get the chance to see this soon anyway, since I know how much of a fan you are. :)

Yeah, it's been absolutely bonkers, man! Hardest work I've done in a long, long time... but we're gonna save about $18,000 by doing the work ourselves, so I guess it'll be worth it in the long run.

Yup, seems the trolls won this round yet again. What makes it sadder is people I know who have actually seen it say it's not even that bad!

The sad thing is, half of the problem is the trolls and the other half is all the negative press that the film received from ACTUAL COMIC AND MOVIE SITES before they had even seen it. That negative press imprinted a negative impression on to the minds of potential viewers causing them to throw shade at the movie before seeing it. It's been an absolute clusterf**k. I feel so bad for the entire crew and cast that worked on the film because they're getting slammed for no reason other than this isn't an MCU film (and that's horsesh*t). I guarantee that when I do watch this, I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it because there's always fun to be found in an X-Men film (even the not-so-good ones). And Disney owns Fox now, so why aren't they throwing their Disney dollars at properly marketing this as a Marvel film? I mean, they're only going to lose money by not supporting this flick... whether it's a proper MCU film or not, they should be helping it. Now the brand is being tainted for ridiculous reasons and that means that Marvel Studios won't touch the mutants for a minimum of 5 years and when they do, they'll probably call them some millennial gender-proper title like The Uncanny X-People or something.

Ugh. :(

I know at least 6 people who saw it at the weekend and they said it was **** and none of them trolls
Says the troll. :p

Joking aside... my mates weren't exactly singing its praises, but reckon it's not nearly as bad as most people are making out.

Well my mates were seriously unimpressed but then we’ve had a few turkeys in the past few years so it’s not if all the rest have been brilliant and suddenly we get one clinker. I can think of at least 3 poor X Men films.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's been absolutely bonkers, man! Hardest work I've done in a long, long time... but we're gonna save about $18,000 by doing the work ourselves, so I guess it'll be worth it in the long run.

The sad thing is, half of the problem is the trolls and the other half is all the negative press that the film received from ACTUAL COMIC AND MOVIE SITES before they had even seen it. That negative press imprinted a negative impression on to the minds of potential viewers causing them to throw shade at the movie before seeing it. It's been an absolute clusterf**k. I feel so bad for the entire crew and cast that worked on the film because they're getting slammed for no reason other than this isn't an MCU film (and that's horsesh*t). I guarantee that when I do watch this, I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it because there's always fun to be found in an X-Men film (even the not-so-good ones). And Disney owns Fox now, so why aren't they throwing their Disney dollars at properly marketing this as a Marvel film? I mean, they're only going to lose money by not supporting this flick... whether it's a proper MCU film or not, they should be helping it. Now the brand is being tainted for ridiculous reasons and that means that Marvel Studios won't touch the mutants for a minimum of 5 years and when they do, they'll probably call them some millennial gender-proper title like The Uncanny X-People or something.

Ugh. :(
Definitely worth it then bud! I've done jobs that have only saved me £100 here and there, so can totally understand why you'd rather do it yourself than pay someone $18,000.

I hear you anyway man... I've seen nothing but negative press ever since rumblings of Marvel buying out Fox first started circulating (by Marvel fanboys most likely), and even some before that by the folks who were still salty over the fact that Apocalypse wasn't up to their standards. Don't get me wrong... maybe this film isn't that great and I could even end up not being a huge fan myself, but to make up your mind about a film before you've even seen it? That's just effin' ridiculous!

Honestly, I do think they have tried their best with press... the cast have appeared on many different chat shows all over the world and even done fun little videos for lesser known sites etc. (Sophie Turner being the main one). Sadly, it appears to have been too little too late for most folks though, since they've already made up their minds about this film, as we've already discussed lol.

But yeah, overall I've had way much more fun with Fox's X-Men franchise than I have with the MCU, so I'm certainly sad to see it's over. That being said, I'm still excited to see how Marvel handle the characters... although I can't see them topping the previous cast, because they were literally perfect!

But yeah, overall I've had way much more fun with Fox's X-Men franchise than I have with the MCU, so I'm certainly sad to see it's over. That being said, I'm still excited to see how Marvel handle the characters... although I can't see them topping the previous cast, because they were literally perfect!

I've had more fun with the X-Men movies, too. The worst MCU films are far worse than the worst X-Men films in my opinion.

My new Camcast with Chris comes out this Thursday and we recast the Fantastic Four and X-Men for the MCU. Believe me when I say that recasting the X-Men was SO hard because the current cast is amazing. I honestly don't want to imagine anyone else as Xavier and Magneto than McAvoy and Fassbender.

I've had more fun with the X-Men movies, too. The worst MCU films are far worse than the worst X-Men films in my opinion.

My new Camcast with Chris comes out this Thursday and we recast the Fantastic Four and X-Men for the MCU. Believe me when I say that recasting the X-Men was SO hard because the current cast is amazing. I honestly don't want to imagine anyone else as Xavier and Magneto than McAvoy and Fassbender.

I prefer Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen as Xavier and Magneto, they were perfect choices at the time but I agree the younger actors haven't done a bad job either. I've said for ages I love the current cast for the actual X-Men though especially Tye Sheridan & Sophie Turner :drool:

Be interesting to see who you suggest as for me they'll only ever be one Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) that despite the fact we've had plenty of good Batman's, Spiderman's and Bond's down the years. I just cant imagine anyone else playing that role :(

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and tridon
I was also thinking about how I would rank all the Fox X-Men films now they've reached their conclusion and I think I'd actually place Dark Phoenix as my 3rd favourite. My favourite will always be the very first because as I've always said it opened the door for everything that's come since. Before X-Men in 2000 we had years of crap comic book films but that film showed good comic book films could be done. My 2nd favourite would be Days of Future Past and then like I said I'd go with Dark Phoenix

I was never as much a fan of Logan like a lot were, it just didn't get me in the feels like I hoped Jackman and Stewart's final film in the roles would. Never liked First Class as much as many did either simply due to it missing so many actual X-Men

8/10
1- X-Men
2- Days of Future Past
7/10
3- Dark Phoenix
4- X2
5- Apocalypse
6- Logan
7- The Wolverine
8- First Class
9- The Last Stand
5/10
10- X-Men Origins

(the ratings are based on my IMDB score when I last watched them, might go and do another X-Men marathon to see if my opinion is the same now)

I prefer Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen as Xavier and Magneto, they were perfect choices at the time but I agree the younger actors haven't done a bad job either. I've said for ages I love the current cast for the actual X-Men though especially Tye Sheridan & Sophie Turner :drool:

Be interesting to see who you suggest as for me they'll only ever be one Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) that despite the fact we've had plenty of good Batman's, Spiderman's and Bond's down the years. I just cant imagine anyone else playing that role :(

Wolverine was a very hard one to recast. Hugh IS Logan. It'd be like recasting RDJ as Iron Man now. And I agree about the younger cast. Tye and Sophie are solid castings and it's unfair that they only got to play the roles twice.

I was also thinking about how I would rank all the Fox X-Men films now they've reached their conclusion and I think I'd actually place Dark Phoenix as my 3rd favourite. My favourite will always be the very first because as I've always said it opened the door for everything that's come since. Before X-Men in 2000 we had years of crap comic book films but that film showed good comic book films could be done. My 2nd favourite would be Days of Future Past and then like I said I'd go with Dark Phoenix

I was never as much a fan of Logan like a lot were, it just didn't get me in the feels like I hoped Jackman and Stewart's final film in the roles would. Never liked First Class as much as many did either simply due to it missing so many actual X-Men

8/10
1- X-Men
2- Days of Future Past
7/10
3- Dark Phoenix
4- X2
5- Apocalypse
6- Logan
7- The Wolverine
8- First Class
9- The Last Stand
5/10
10- X-Men Origins

(the ratings are based on my IMDB score when I last watched them, might go and do another X-Men marathon to see if my opinion is the same now)

Not sure about individual scores as it's been a while since I've seen some of them, but my current rankings (without Dark Phoenix since I haven't seen it yet) would look like this:

1 - X-Men: Days of Future Past
2 - Logan
3 - X2: X-Men United
4 - X-Men: First Class
5 - The Wolverine
6 - X-Men
7 - X-Men: Apocalypse
8 - X-Men: The Last Stand
9 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Your rankings are kinda refreshing because you can tell you were never influenced by others' opinions.

I completely agree bud... there are some dire Marvel films that are just plain boring. I mean Origins and The Last Stand are pretty poor too, but if you don't take them too seriously then they're actually kinda fun! I have great memories of seeing TLS in theaters with an ex... we were the only ones in that screening and just sat laughing our heads off (mostly at Vinnie Jones' Juggernaut) the whole time lol.

Re-casting Wolverine certainly ain't gonna be an easy task... Jackman was born to play that role, as was Reynold's with Deadpool. If Fox were great at one thing, it's casting... they absolutely nailed it every time IMO. Looking forward to seeing the upcoming Camcast anyway! I'm sure I'll most likely agree with you both on your choices, as I often do. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon

Thanks for the heads-up, bud! Just entered!

I completely agree bud... there are some dire Marvel films that are just plain boring. I mean Origins and The Last Stand are pretty poor too, but if you don't take them too seriously then they're actually kinda fun! I have great memories of seeing TLS in theaters with an ex... we were the only ones in that screening and just sat laughing our heads off (mostly at Vinnie Jones' Juggernaut) the whole time lol.

Re-casting Wolverine certainly ain't gonna be an easy task... Jackman was born to play that role, as was Reynold's with Deadpool. If Fox were great at one thing, it's casting... they absolutely nailed it every time IMO. Looking forward to seeing the upcoming Camcast anyway! I'm sure I'll most likely agree with you both on your choices, as I often do. ;)

Fox was definitely great at casting. There's been SO many perfect choices over the years. I hope the MCU can do the mutants proud.

OK. SO THIS MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE!!!
and gives some backstory and understanding the villains of the film.

SPOILERS.... i guess?

ORIGINAL ENDING:
In an interview, Tye Sheridan revealed the details of the final battle of Dark Phoenix, which would have resulted in the X-Men getting dissolved in the vein of Captain America: Civil War and have taken place in New York at the United Nations. But here’s the surprising twist: they would have found themselves battling Skrulls, the shape-shifting aliens who debuted in the MCU in this year’s Captain Marvel. Sheridan said:

“It’s really hard for me to remember what the ending of this movie is. [laughs] Originally, it was scripted that Charles and Scott go to the U.N. because — man, I’m totally going to mess this up — they go to the U.N. because they’re going to try to tell the President that, ‘Hey, we’re under attack by aliens and, they’ve now captured Jean Grey.’ Or, you know, whatever it is that we’re going to tell him. And then Jean comes down in the front of the U.N., and causes… there is this huge battle between the guards at the U.N. and Jean Grey, and all the guards turn out to be Skrulls. And then Jean and Scott are — Scott is fighting Skrulls in the fountain. He gets thrown into the fountain in front of the U.N. And then Jean comes down and basically fights all of the Skrulls off, and then blasts back off into space. [She] basically says goodbye to Scott and Charles. And then it’s all over, I guess.”

So I get now why they had to change the ending. And why some of the problems I had with the film happened.
It would have been very interesting to have seen what would have come next if these movies would have kept going.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPOILERS.... i guess?

ORIGINAL ENDING:

In an interview, Tye Sheridan revealed the details of the final battle of Dark Phoenix, which would have resulted in the X-Men getting dissolved in the vein of Captain America: Civil War and have taken place in New York at the United Nations. But here’s the surprising twist: they would have found themselves battling Skrulls, the shape-shifting aliens who debuted in the MCU in this year’s Captain Marvel. Sheridan said:

“It’s really hard for me to remember what the ending of this movie is. [laughs] Originally, it was scripted that Charles and Scott go to the U.N. because — man, I’m totally going to mess this up — they go to the U.N. because they’re going to try to tell the President that, ‘Hey, we’re under attack by aliens and, they’ve now captured Jean Grey.’ Or, you know, whatever it is that we’re going to tell him. And then Jean comes down in the front of the U.N., and causes… there is this huge battle between the guards at the U.N. and Jean Grey, and all the guards turn out to be Skrulls. And then Jean and Scott are — Scott is fighting Skrulls in the fountain. He gets thrown into the fountain in front of the U.N. And then Jean comes down and basically fights all of the Skrulls off, and then blasts back off into space. [She] basically says goodbye to Scott and Charles. And then it’s all over, I guess.”

So I get now why they had to change the ending. And why some of the problems I had with the film happened.
It would have been very interesting to have seen what would have come next if these movies would have kept going.

Probably would've introduced the Brood and the Starjammers and the Shi'ar and it would've been damn flippin' awesome!

Man, I'll miss these movies...

SPOILERS.... i guess?

ORIGINAL ENDING:

Ohhhh...
I remember reading they had to change the ending due to it being too similar to another superhero movie released this year. Never imagined it would be because it actually featured some of the same characters/aliens though!

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw