Exclusive HDN article - read more here

REGION FREE!

#016 in the Mondo x Steelbook line is LABYRINTH! With Art by Todd Slater

lab_spread.png

lab_slip.png

lab_front.png

lab_back.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit Zavvi with a crappy steelbook what a surprise :p hopefully Zavvi's Mondo steelbooks don't turn out to be like there Marvel steelbooks where every Mondo steelbook will be a matte finish, whats next ? I bet they will throw away the slips and slap on a lenticular *fridge* magnet if they could.
Strange coincidence that the cheapest looking Mondo steelbook is a Zavvi exclusive one. :cautious:
LMAO :LOL::rofl: yeah something very fishy going on here :whistle::naughty:

Reactions: Frasr and Flloydo
Mine's arrived, the slip seems a little too wide on the back and has kind of naturally bowed outwards - has anyone else's done a similar thing?

Reactions: Flloydo
I have to agree, this is such an underwhelming release.

I love Bowie and I love labryinth but this is such a dull release.

What's sad is although mine is damaged I'll still get a replacement because of my love for the 2

Why is this completely dark and crappy matte compared to all the other mondos?
Even zavvis reservoir dogs is different to the US version.

Mine's arrived, the slip seems a little too wide on the back and has kind of naturally bowed outwards - has anyone else's done a similar thing?

Yeah the back of mine bows out too. Zavvi for you (can't be arsed with the - it's not zavvis fault, none of my others from US or Canada are like it)

This is only my 4th mondo but the ones I own are fantastic with cool finishes (drive, the thing, boondock saints) and from what I've seen witht the others they all seem cool too

Zavvi need to either quit with mondo or up their f*cking game!

And I bet they are getting praise on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram by the usual suspects who don't have a clue

Rant over

Reactions: Travis Bickle
Received mine this morning and thankfully it doesn't have a single scratch or anything. I'm not unhappy with it, but it's a bit underwhelming overall... I expected some spot glossing on the blue areas at least. Although, I do like that in certain light the blue (love the electric cyan colour by the way) stays really bright, whilst the rest of the artwork kind of vanishes. Honestly, I think we've all come to expect a lot (possibly too much) from Mondo, so they're not always going to completely win us over. I'm still very happy to have this in my collection. :)

Received a damaged copy & this reply email from Zavvi:

Hello

Thank you for contacting us regarding your order.

We have received your photos of the damaged item and would like to apologise that the item was received this way.

As a gesture of goodwill we would like to offer a refund of 10%.
Please can you let us know if you are happy to accept this partial refund?

Once requested this would be returned to your account within 3-5 working days.

If there is anything else that we can do then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Kind Regards,

Zavvi.com Customer Service Team

Zavvi=where the customer always comes last...

Mine arrived damaged too. Arranging a return with Zavvi is such a pain, mainly because they have a lead time of 2 or 3 days between messages.

Offering a partial refund just drags the whole thing out even further. Urgh.

Personally waiting for GBP 14.99 on these two so maybe not my place to post comments as I don't have either in front of me. Oh, well, I will anyway . . .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is dark but no surprise there . . . surely? . . . and I can think of several dark steels that look just fine and have sold out in spite of this (handicap).
The outside artwork always looked a bit meh but the inside and disc art looks really nice to my eyes and it's great to see David Bowie on the front of his first U.K. steelbook considering the few films he made that have actually had a BD release (only 3 that I can recall but of course there may be others) let alone a SB release.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at pics of others in the current Mondo X line-up this may be at the very bottom of the pile exterior artwork-wise when compared to the others (the majority of which look stunning) but by the law of averages they can't all be out of the top drawer and I'd say that TOTAL RECALL and NIGHTCRAWLER don't look a million times better.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding darker images on the steelbook when compared to the original print: I believe this has something to do with the metallic nature of the steelbook which can dampen an already dark/muted print and a lot of detail can get lost in the process.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding future Zavvi / Mondo X steelbooks: I feel that it would be a mistake to stop here (at Nos.013 & 016) - we need the gaps to be filled for the purpose of a complete numbered collection as we didn't start at the beginning.
In fact we need them ALL here in the U.K. - from No. 001 right through to the end.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clearly something amiss qualitycontrol-wise at the Mondo factory if out of the few that have been received there have been damage issues and I'm sure everyone paying top dollar for these would expect nothing less than to have their steels checked for damages before dispatch and I'll bet these damages were not caused in transit :(

Last edited:
Personally waiting for GBP 14.99 on these two so maybe not my place to post comments as I don't have either in front of me. Oh, well, I will anyway . . .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is dark but no surprise there . . . surely? . . . and I can think of several dark steels that look just fine and have sold out in spite of this (handicap).
The outside artwork always looked a bit meh but the inside and disc art looks really nice to my eyes and it's great to see David Bowie on the front of his first U.K. steelbook considering the few films he made that have actually had a BD release (only 3 that I can recall but of course there may be others) let alone a SB release.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at pics of others in the current Mondo X line-up this may be at the very bottom of the pile exterior artwork-wise when compared to the others (the majority of which look stunning) but by the law of averages they can't all be out of the top drawer and I'd say that TOTAL RECALL and NIGHTCRAWLER don't look a million times better.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding darker images on the steelbook when compared to the original print: I believe this has something to do with the metallic nature of the steelbook which can dampen an already dark/muted print and a lot of detail can get lost in the process.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding future Zavvi / Mondo X steelbooks: I feel that it would be a mistake to stop here (at Nos.013 & 016) - we need the gaps to be filled for the purpose of a complete numbered collection as we didn't start at the beginning.
In fact we need them ALL here in the U.K. - from No. 001 right through to the end.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clearly something amiss qualitycontrol-wise at the Mondo factory if out of the few that have been received there have been damage issues and I'm sure everyone paying top dollar for these would expect nothing less than to have their steels checked for damages before dispatch and I'll bet these damages were not caused in transit :(

I don't know if it's from mondo or not but every other Monday I have got has been just fine in he quality control area. The slips haven't had any of the problems that people are saying with this release either. I myself have not had any of my steels come damaged (knock on wood) but I have seen several people's photos of ones from them damage. And just like the us and Canada hasn't received this I don't think the uk will recieve the rest as that is the allure of mondo steels. They are release sing one they like where the distributer is working with them. Since different companies have the distribution rights to movies. So if a company in the us dosnt want to release a movie they could see about the companie that has the rights in a different country and release it there.

Thank you for your comments and congrats on your good luck with your Mondo purchases so far :thumbs:

Regarding the bowing on some of the U.K. slips: I've no idea what could be causing this unless it's because the shrinkwrap is too tight on the package and is "squeezing" the slipcover pulling it slightly out of shape or it's the transparent film applied to the slip that is causing the problem - maybe not the latter as the U.S. editions reportedly have the same protective film on the slips and nobody has commented on a similar problem with those.

Regarding future Mondo X releases in the U.K.: I take on board your comments about the distribution rights (a point that has been made before by actarus) but I'd still hope for a proper collection of these to appear in the U.K. and not just random examples, particularly as they are numbered - if they weren't numbered I wouldn't care one way or the other TBPH.

Regarding future Mondo X releases in the U.K.: I take on board your comments about the distribution rights (a point that has been made before by actarus) but I'd still hope for a proper collection of these to appear in the U.K. and not just random examples, particularly as they are numbered - if they weren't numbered I wouldn't care one way or the other TBPH.

That was actually one of my posts in the "Reservoir Dogs" thread.

Last edited:

'Mondo X Steelbook' is a worldwide project/collection. There are no gaps to be filled. And there wont be a No. 000,001,... in the UK.
Not all movies are distributed by the same distributor/company in all countries. So it's not possible to release the whole collection in all countries.

By the same token, if I understand you correctly, LABYRINTH will not be released in other territories and is (will remain?) a worldwide ZavviUK exclusive ?
I'm wondering which steel will be No. 016 in the U.S./Canada etc. though of course LABYRINTH could be re-printed by ScanavoUS for Target etc. as a shared exclusive with Zavvi in the same way that RESERVOIR DOGS, originally with Target, was re-printed by ScanavoEU for Zavvi.

Far from an ideal situation as it stands today for the newbie to the Mondo X range as the only way to own a full set of these is to buy them from all over the place (14 from Best Buy - including 4 variants, 5 from U.S. Target, 1 from U.K. Zavvi ) (n):(

In summary:-
Nos. 000 - 005 = Canada Future Shop and Best Buy Exclusives
Nos. 006 - 008 = U.S. Target Exclusives
Nos. 009 - 012 = Canada Best Buy Exclusives
No. 013 = U.K. Zavvi and U.S. Target Exclusive
No. 014 = Canada Best Buy and U.S. Target Exclusive
No. 015 = Germany - non-exclusive
No. 016 = U.K. Zavvi Exclusive

Looks like I'll be giving all of these a miss if all of the others (Nos. 000 - 012 and 014 & 015) are not RE-PRINTED by Scanavo Europe for the U.K. customer - not fussed if they are with Zavvi,Amazon or HMV as personally not going to go through the hassle and expense (if OOP) of hunting down the remaining numbers to make up the complete collection so far :)

Last edited:
Are they just randomly picking the Mondo Steelbooks. I mean #13 to #16. Give me Shaun of the Dead, Drive or Dredd Zavvi :)

Least reprint the others down the line

Wouldn't it have been better for Zavvi to have their own Mondo line?

Start from #1 and go from there. If they have some already established Mondo steelbooks in the collection fair enough, if they don't who cares it's a new line.

Last edited:
Are they just randomly picking the Mondo Steelbooks. I mean #13 to #16. Give me Shaun of the Dead, Drive or Dredd Zavvi :)

Least reprint the others down the line

Wouldn't it have been better for Zavvi to have their own Mondo line?

Start from #1 and go from there. If they have some already established Mondo steelbooks in the collection fair enough, if they don't who cares it's a new line.

You do realise that the Mondo steelbook collection is a international project, right?
There have been releases in the US, Canada, UK and Germany so far - and i don't think that will change anytime soon. :)

Reactions: Flloydo
You do realise that the Mondo steelbook collection is a international project, right?
There have been releases in the US, Canada, UK and Germany so far - and i don't think that will change anytime soon. :)
Personally, I hope it stays that way. It's a really fresh idea that no one's done before, and it makes it a lot more fun trying to catch 'em all. :D

Reactions: Flloydo and spass
Personally, I hope it stays that way. It's a really fresh idea that no one's done before, and it makes it a lot more fun trying to catch 'em all. :D

More like annoying, especially for people who want them but don't want to spend a fortune shipping overseas.

I want to collect...not go on a treasure hunt. Different if they had copies spilt fairly for each region even if it was only a hundred or so.

More like annoying, especially for people who want them but don't want to spend a fortune shipping overseas.

I want to collect...not go on a treasure hunt. Different if they had copies spilt fairly for each region even if it was only a hundred or so.

So in that case i assume you're not collecting FAC, Novamedia, Plain Archive, Kimchidvd, Zavvi and/or other retailer-exclusive steelbooks, that you have to pay "fortune shipping overseas" for, right? Oh and you're not hunting treasures then.. ;)

So in that case i assume you're not collecting FAC, Novamedia, Plain Archive, Kimchidvd, Zavvi and/or other retailer-exclusive steelbooks, that you have to pay "fortune shipping overseas" for, right? Oh and you're not hunting treasures then.. ;)
They're in the wrong hobby if they don't want to pay those type of shipping fees. As @monsterzebra so rightly pointed out... it's pretty common and to be expected when collecting releases from overseas. Only thing I can suggest is to wait for price drops on the actual item, which seems to happen a lot with Mondo steels, so maybe just wait it out and pick them up when they're cheap.

Reactions: monsterzebra