3D 3D Poll: Are you seeing the world in 3D?

Do you have to or have you purchased 3D equipment?

• Yes, I own a 3D HDTV and player, plus a few movies!

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • No, I have not yet purchased 3D equipment, but it's likely that I will.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • No, I have not purchased 3D equipment, and I will not because it's a "fad".

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • I am not sure if I will or not-depends on price.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I am not sure if I will or not-depends on the # of movies released.

• Nope, 3D is for theaters only-you can't replicate the experience at home.

Votes: 4 6.3%

Votes: 25 39.1%

Votes: 28 43.8%

• Total voters
I was puzzled by his statement as well. Although, I have seen the Sony on display and it looks amazing, but according to various reviews they place Panny as the top 3D set.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Dish Network doesn't have ESPN 3D so I haven't checked out anything other than the footy footage from the WC. I have no clue how American Football looks like. Maybe Horns can chime in?

Sony is the top LCD/LED that people want, I hate the Samsungs.

is it true that the 3-d movies also come with a reg blu-ray that plays on reg blu-ray players? if so then imma start getting movies in 3-d just incase i do upgrade to future proof my self

Hey all,

I have read thru the thread and everyone's posts and am looking to generate a bit more discussion on this as I am considering entering into the 3-D realm.

What I do know for sure is that I am getting a new TV, whether it be 3-D or not. I am currently watching "HD" on a 5 or 6 year old 48" 1080i rear-projection CRT and it is time for it to go. Was going to go projector, but that has been delayed a couple of years until I build my dedicated HT space. (got it signed on the dotted line :oohyeah:)

Being from Canada, technology is not cheap up here and to get the size of TV I would like, 55", in 3-D, with enough glasses for the family, 4, and a couple of 3-D movies, I am looking at a minimum of $3000, but probably more like $3500.

To get a very nice 55" regular TV, I would be looking at $1500 to $1750 so there is a big price difference.

My concerns lie in the adoption of a new technology and were it might go in the little bit. I buy a TV that requires glasses and 6 months from now the release the one that doesn't need them and glasses based 3-D goes the way of HD-DVD and I just wasted a big wad of cash.

I know technology is always changing, and I am not looking to get 5 years of of something, but I would like to know that what I am buying will last me at least a couple of years of 3-D goodness.

Thanks for any thoughts

Cheers
CrashKelly

I guess you'd have to look at the market trend. The BDA will not change the spec regardless of what tv makers decide to do. So with that being said, the current generation of 3D TVs are outstanding to be honest.

Wide range of plasmas and LED. On a good deal you might catch a 3D bluray player with a 3D tv for under 3000 that include a starter pack with 2 glasses. Just keep an eye out.

I'm sure a future generation of 3D tvs will not use the glasses. Technology advances fast. I have a panny VT25 3D set and is absolutely gorgeous. I watch different 3D content on it all the time. Glasses are expensive at 159 dollars a pop. They get tiring after watching a movie though.

Posted from my BlackBerry.

I guess you'd have to look at the market trend. The BDA will not change the spec regardless of what tv makers decide to do. So with that being said, the current generation of 3D TVs are outstanding to be honest.

Wide range of plasmas and LED. On a good deal you might catch a 3D bluray player with a 3D tv for under 3000 that include a starter pack with 2 glasses. Just keep an eye out.

I'm sure a future generation of 3D tvs will not use the glasses. Technology advances fast. I have a panny VT25 3D set and is absolutely gorgeous. I watch different 3D content on it all the time. Glasses are expensive at 159 dollars a pop. They get tiring after watching a movie though.

Posted from my BlackBerry.

Thanks for the comments and the feedback and as of yet, I am still undecided on the road to travel.

Right now I am in the prowling phase of my purchase and am hitting as many stores with displays as possible and am waiting for that "holy crap I gotta have this" moment :D

So far I have been amazed at the sorry condition of most stores TV and 3-D displays. Either the batterries in the glasses are dead or the signal for the 3-D demo is not present. I want to walk up, "push a button", see it work, be amazed, and then ask questions, but if things are not functioning I usually just walk away.

Is there any particular brand that stands out for 3-D performance? Any that suck?

Thaks again for the time

Cheers
CrashKelly

Thanks for the comments and the feedback and as of yet, I am still undecided on the road to travel.

Right now I am in the prowling phase of my purchase and am hitting as many stores with displays as possible and am waiting for that "holy crap I gotta have this" moment :D

So far I have been amazed at the sorry condition of most stores TV and 3-D displays. Either the batterries in the glasses are dead or the signal for the 3-D demo is not present. I want to walk up, "push a button", see it work, be amazed, and then ask questions, but if things are not functioning I usually just walk away.

Is there any particular brand that stands out for 3-D performance? Any that suck?

Thaks again for the time

Cheers
CrashKelly

Not to be pimpin out my TV, but the Panny VT25 is the highest rated 3D TV on the market. Some folks prefer LED, specifically Sony and Samsung.

At the end of the day once you get to see everything on display you will most likely go with whatever catches your eye. Cnet.com has pretty good reviews on the current 3D sets. You can go there and check some of their comments. The Samsung 3D plasmas have a 2D to 3D conversion feature as well. The new GT series of 3D TVs from Panny has just implemented this feature as well.

Whatever you decide to go with will most likely last you for a while as they are not just 3D sets, the majority are outstanding sets.

I think the technology has potential, but I don't think that the investment is worth it at this point for you Crash. There's just not a lot of 3D content out there now, and I don't see a ton of it coming out in the near future (at least with regards to regular TV). 3D BDs may pick up the pace, but given that the adoption rates as not as high and that 3D BDs also cost more I'm not sure it's worth for you to pay double right now. You might as well spend the $1500 now on a nice HDTV, wait for the tech to mature for a couple of years (or fade who knows) and then you'll probably have a lot more content and the 3D TV will cost you half of what it costs now. With tech, it's also not like the price will spike. This is all of course an opinion :)

Not to be pimpin out my TV, but the Panny VT25 is the highest rated 3D TV on the market. Some folks prefer LED, specifically Sony and Samsung.

At the end of the day once you get to see everything on display you will most likely go with whatever catches your eye. Cnet.com has pretty good reviews on the current 3D sets. You can go there and check some of their comments. The Samsung 3D plasmas have a 2D to 3D conversion feature as well. The new GT series of 3D TVs from Panny has just implemented this feature as well.

Whatever you decide to go with will most likely last you for a while as they are not just 3D sets, the majority are outstanding sets.

That is essentially what I am waiting for, is that "Gotta Have It" moment and I have not yet experienced it, but it is not for a lack of trying, but rather that we have the laziest sales staffs on the planet up here and they just expect things to sell themselves.

When I walk up to a big flashy display area with multiple TVs and hit the 3-D demo button and get "No Signal Present" what do they think I am going to do .....??? This is not one occassion either but rather multiple attempts at multiple stores over the course of days and weeks.

I do like the idea of 2D to 3D conversion so long as it is done decently.

I think the technology has potential, but I don't think that the investment is worth it at this point for you Crash. There's just not a lot of 3D content out there now, and I don't see a ton of it coming out in the near future (at least with regards to regular TV). 3D BDs may pick up the pace, but given that the adoption rates as not as high and that 3D BDs also cost more I'm not sure it's worth for you to pay double right now. You might as well spend the $1500 now on a nice HDTV, wait for the tech to mature for a couple of years (or fade who knows) and then you'll probably have a lot more content and the 3D TV will cost you half of what it costs now. With tech, it's also not like the price will spike. This is all of course an opinion :)

I think that is my issue at the moment. I am still at 50/50, but my fear is that the tech will fade or at the very least change so significantly that what I have bought now is a one shot deal.

Going to have to do a least of the tech, and costs, of what I will need to go fully 3-D (movies, games, TV broadcasts) and see whare I am at.

Thanks again for all the help ;)

Cheers
CrashKelly

Spent my lunch hour looking at TV's, again :D, but actually spoke to someone this time and the sales person surprised me. After asking me a few questions about the room the TV would be in, he suggested a Panasonic Plasma TV.

Knocked me for a bit of a loop as I had thought of plasma as a bit of the old technology and LCDs and LEDs, moreso LEDs, to be the new technology.

Either he is wrong or I am way out of sync with the hip and happening of today (I think the later :rolleyes:)

Cheers
CrashKelly

Spent my lunch hour looking at TV's, again :D, but actually spoke to someone this time and the sales person surprised me. After asking me a few questions about the room the TV would be in, he suggested a Panasonic Plasma TV.

Knocked me for a bit of a loop as I had thought of plasma as a bit of the old technology and LCDs and LEDs, moreso LEDs, to be the new technology.

Either he is wrong or I am way out of sync with the hip and happening of today (I think the later :rolleyes:)

Cheers
CrashKelly

I have a Panasonic Plasma (50 in.) and could not be happier. Then again it really depends on what you like. It's also not really old technology, it's just that very few manufacturers are continuing to make them as most have moved to LCD and LEDs. Panasonic owns a lot of the IP and other manufacturers have felt that they could get better economies of scale with other technologies as there are a lot more plants in Asia doing LEDs and LCDs. Right now I think Panasonic pretty much has all the plasma market.

I am not a videophile by any stretch of the imagination, but do like to have the deeper blacks and plasma tends to be better in that area. The LCDs and LEDs are also really good and you are also able to get the really thin ones which are nice. I just feel that LCDs and LEDs tend to compensate and grab people because they are brighter, but I like the plasmas in that you get a bit truer color and those really inky deep blacks.

I'm not sure what the deals are like over there, but at least in the U.S. Panasonic is selling some really nice 3D plasma combos with glasses, Avatar, and 3D BD player for about $1600. It's the 50 inch one, but I think that's a great deal. I saw the deal at Amazon.

In the end, I do think that what you are doing right now is the best part; the shopping around. I think that as long as you don't settle just because you see something really cheap you'll be fine. Prior to buying my plasma I researched and looked for a couple of months. I was always sort of drawn to the plasmas and decided to stick with it. I then decided on a model and just waited for a great deal to pop up for that model and when it did I just bought it. I know that I'm happy because when I go to Best Buy or any other store I don't even feel the need to go look at the TVs. When I pass by them and look at the picture I also never feel like I'm missing out.

In any event, I think that you should just continue having fun at lunch and look around as much as you can. BTW, one thing that helped me in my search was just reading reviews at Amazon from regular customers that purchase the products. Not to make a purchasing decision, but when you read them you see that there are a lot of people that have done a ton of legwork, seen numerous models, returned others, and also even find out about known glitches with certain models that you would otherwise not be aware of. You also learn from people who've actually had to deal with tech support and warranty issues. Anyways, probably things you know already but just thought I'd share.

Take care.

Im a big fan of plasma's the hertz they put out is so much more then LCDs and thats why they just look better imo.

This coming from a person with 2 LCDs, 1 DLP and Plasma in his house.

Hey there,

Thanks much for the information and for the opinions, they are much appreciated.

I too was falling for the brightness of the LCD/LED TV's and making the incorrect assumtion that they were better because of that.

The biggest thing I learned yesterday is that I sill have a lot to learn before I buy as I do want to get the best bang for my buck. I am not a big sports guy, but I do watch a lot of action movies and I do game so minimization of motion blur and artifacting is a must.

A bit of a vent though :angry:

Panasonic 58" 1080p Plasma HDTV (TCP58S2)
Amazon.com: $1099.99
FutureShop: $2699.99

End vent :D

I am having a blast on my lunch hours going and looking at TV's and will continue to do so for a bit before I make a move and I am still up in the air about 3-D or no 3-D.

Thanks again for everything and keep it coming :D
CrashKelly

Hey there,

Thanks much for the information and for the opinions, they are much appreciated.

I too was falling for the brightness of the LCD/LED TV's and making the incorrect assumtion that they were better because of that.

The biggest thing I learned yesterday is that I sill have a lot to learn before I buy as I do want to get the best bang for my buck. I am not a big sports guy, but I do watch a lot of action movies and I do game so minimization of motion blur and artifacting is a must.

A bit of a vent though :angry:

Panasonic 58" 1080p Plasma HDTV (TCP58S2)
Amazon.com: $1099.99
FutureShop: $2699.99

End vent :D

I am having a blast on my lunch hours going and looking at TV's and will continue to do so for a bit before I make a move and I am still up in the air about 3-D or no 3-D.

Thanks again for everything and keep it coming :D
CrashKelly

Crash, before you plunge in, if you decide to go panny plasmas verify that the panel is the latest generation. G10s (I believe) had problems with the power supply. The G11 and G12 panels fixed that issue. Just an FYI, my coworker had a G10 crap out on him because of that same issue luckily the man is an electric engineer and fixed it himself. lol

G12 have the kuro tech or elite tech I cant remember, but Panny bought another tv maker's pattents and implemented their tech into their panels. I have my brightness set to normal and there are 2 more settings on it and the highest is definitely blinding lol.

Good luck with your TV hunting! I hope you find a great deal!

Crash, before you plunge in, if you decide to go panny plasmas verify that the panel is the latest generation. G10s (I believe) had problems with the power supply. The G11 and G12 panels fixed that issue. Just an FYI, my coworker had a G10 crap out on him because of that same issue luckily the man is an electric engineer and fixed it himself. lol

G12 have the kuro tech or elite tech I cant remember, but Panny bought another tv maker's pattents and implemented their tech into their panels. I have my brightness set to normal and there are 2 more settings on it and the highest is definitely blinding lol.

Good luck with your TV hunting! I hope you find a great deal!

That is a very good piece of info to have about the power supply, thanks for passing it along.

I am thinking of a boxing week deadline for purchasing. We do not have the same killer boxing day deals as down in the US, but we can have some decent ones and why pay more more now when I can pay less later ;)

Cheers and thanks again
CRashKelly

don't quote me on the exact panel generation I think Panny is on G12 at the moment, but that issue has been fixed with the new panels. Plus, they are darker and some come with a calibration menus built in.

don't quote me on the exact panel generation I think Panny is on G12 at the moment, but that issue has been fixed with the new panels. Plus, they are darker and some come with a calibration menus built in.

Too late, already quoted you over the weekend. Sales rep looked at me a little weird when I said "Horhay from the forum said I need to watch out for the G10 panels as they have power supply issues" :D

Hope to get closer to a decision this week. Still trying to get over the brightness with the LED & LCD tv's, amazing how quickly the eye is drawn to that as being better.

Only real issue left is a large price jump between the

Panasonic 54" 1080p Plasma HDTV** (TCP54G25) @ $1999.99

and the

Panasonic 58" 1080p Plasma HDTV (TCP58S2) @ $2699.99

I know the G25 is a "higher class" model in terms of features and what not, but I would like a 58" screen but not sure about the $700 extra for 4" ....... well in terms of the TV that is ;) $700 for an extra 4", or 20%, would be a steal of a deal for other things EEK!

Cheers
CrashKelly

Last edited: