4K Displays-the future?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
So, what do you think about the buzz surrounding plans to release consumer panels with higher resolution than current 1080p models (BD will be 'upscaled').

Some info on 4K from Cnet

Nonsense or 'the next big thing'?

Chime in! :oohyeah:

DB

Last edited:
Well there is currently NO 4k content ... :p But they did say it would up-convert blu-rays so I'm interested in seeing that.

CES had some 4k displays this year.

Also showed off an OLED 55 inch. $8k ;p

not quite sure how they can already improve on it to be honest

saying, i'm a sucker for looking at new tech hahaha

will watch very closely

I just don't see 4K being that big of a leap forward from 1080p as 1080p and blu-ray was from dvd. I think larger tv's 55"+ will see the biggest differences in quality.

My question is will 4K content if and when available fit on blu-ray discs data wise? Or will see yet another media form?

Personally Im not all that excited about a media content change so quickly again. I would rather see blu-ray stick it out as the main media form for at least 15-20 years. But at the rate were moving I guess not?

I mean I would hate to have to start all over again so soon. I don't mind change as long as its spaced out you know what Im saying.... VHS and DVD had good runs and people were happy to see the next thing come along and re-start there collections so to speak on the new format.

With no content it's simply overkill. Upscaling isn't necessarily a good thing. Now if the content was available now, sure bring it on, but there's little to no content out there for consumers.

Video games struggle to make that 1080p standard, most remain on 720p still. Movies might be able to do it, but who knows who will venture into it. Another media would just kill the market. I am not downloading anything, seeing as ISPs are only looking to set limits to overcharge you.

Its already been said 4k could be put on blu-ray and would be. What will you need to experience 4k?

1) new tv
2) new player ; it requires more hardware that cant be solved by simple firmware updates.

It would be a lot like the upgrade to 3d. (minus a ps3 which was able to update via firmware)

I've actually read up A LOT on 4k over the past few months ;)

Its already been said 4k could be put on blu-ray and would be. What will you need to experience 4k?

1) new tv
2) new player ; it requires more hardware that cant be solved by simple firmware updates.

It would be a lot like the upgrade to 3d. (minus a ps3 which was able to update via firmware)

I've actually read up A LOT on 4k over the past few months ;)

In this case Im game. As long as this won't cause a media change Im down. Imagine video gaming in 3D without glasses in 4K resolution. :D

Yeah that's too much already. A new 4k TV won't be cheap anytime soon. It's taken years for the HD market to really hit low prices. Not to mention you'd probably have to get a new receiver to handle the 4K stuff which just adds up to the tally.

The early enthusiast will find no problem getting all this. The rest, which the industry relies on, will most likely wait years until manufacturers drop prices.

Also, BDs would probably need to be made with more than two layers which could possibly pass on the expenses to the consumer.

As much as I'd love to see it happen, I am still a skeptic. Sounds good, but way too expensive as I'd have to upgrade a lot of my equipment.

The time frame between the switches in different media formats has gotten shorter and shorter between formats, because of the accelerating rate of innovation.

BD struggled to catch on at all, and is still not purchased by the majority of people, in terms of marketshare and demonstrated sales. There is also research to suggest that the human eye can't even perceive differences between 1080p and 4K res, especially not on a display size that most people would own at home.

3D is still studdering and was dismissed, overall, as 'not necessary' at home, and largely because there was a lack of content, high disc/hardware prices, and a poor marketing/education campaign. Most people when asked, claim they can't see the difference, or don't care whether there are differences between BD and DVD, and are content with the latter (as shown by DVD sales).

Just as we have the current format war between what's left of recorded media and the rapid onset of the industry to adapt instant media in the form of streaming, downloads, clouds, etc, this, if launched, will turn into another 'niche' product. Perhaps the projector or large screen (70+" inches) display owner will actually see a difference and want to adopt yet another standard.

If, a 'new' BD has a resolution that can be displayed on a 4K display without being upscaled (in effect replacing BD's current resolution, without introducing yet another recordable 'format' with another name), and if discs remain at current prices (not at the premium at which BD started out years ago), then who knows.

I think given the relatively short period between when consumers have had to replace all of their equipment, the launch of 4K is nothing more than the manufacturer's way to have 'another thing coming down the pike', which they always do.

For the hardcore PQ/AQ and HT enthusiast, there will always be a preference for recorded media, as long as streamed/downloaded content is limited in PQ/AQ, and because most want a tangible product for their collection. That debate is raged every day. Plus, all movies ever available on DVD will never be switched over to this new format, so as long as that is the case, one format cannot totally replace another quickly-either for software or hardware...but I am sure there will be a niche.

Last edited:
There is also research to suggest that the human eye can't even perceive differences between 1080p and 4K res, especially not on a display size that most people would own at home.

This.

I have a hard time believing most televisions could demonstrate any diffence. The screens are just too small and the viewing distances too short. And that's the problem. How many people are going to have 90 foot screens in their homes?

The technology will eventually get cheaper, but the problem of home sizes and available space won't go away anytime soon. It does not help that its even more money to be spent on even more electronics. But even if it was affordable, how can you utilize it? Who has the space to take advantage of such technology? Without an install base, there's little incentive for content providers to put stuff out.

Better does not always means it will sell. Just as HD music formats

I'm in the same boat here, I don't really see 4k being relevant with the average screen size being 50-60". Now, a 4k projector, that would be a different story :)

This whole conversation is way over my head. But I can say one thing. I just started with blu ray. It was painful to stop with dvd's but less and less dvd's were offering digital copies so I made the switch. I won't be ready for another format for a good 10 years as long as BD is still around.

I still have people tell me that they can't tell the difference between blu-ray and dvd. It sounds like right now it will just be another hi def side market like 3d is even though they want it to be the main one. Any ways there are monitors out there especially for computers that have a higher resolution than 1080p. I guess it is just technological progression.:dunno:

I still have people tell me that they can't tell the difference between blu-ray and dvd. It sounds like right now it will just be another hi def side market like 3d is even though they want it to be the main one. Any ways there are monitors out there especially for computers that have a higher resolution than 1080p. I guess it is just technological progression.:dunno:

Yeah I get lots of people that don't think bluray is even different from dvd! They think its just the same thing. Ive had a few friends buy blurays thinking there just some sort of dvd only to put in the there dvd player and ponder why its not playing.

As fast as tech is moving forward and shorter the shelf life of new tech/format's gets its my observation that only a select few like us on here are moving at pace to keep up. I imagine the select few like us are simply tech junkies or gadget/tech lovers that innately by personality are willing commit and dedicate a good portion of our expendable incomes towards staying at pace with new tech.

If you look at most people they just aren't moving forward. Im sure the down economy is a contributing factor as people just don't want to spend the money but there is still an even larger amount of people that money aside are just stuck in the 1990's and 2000's so to speak. Sure everyone has a computer now but not everyone till this day knows how to use to one at a competent level.

To me its flabbergasting to think a new 4K standard is moving forward when only a small portion have moved onto bluray and 1080p. The masses are still stuck in the dvd era! I understand that there are early adopters and all that with price eventually falling when everyone else commits and buy's in. But how does the next media form push forward when people haven't even bought into the previous format yet in the masses?

Heck we still have gaming studios pushing content forward thats only 720p.

I mean I consider myself an early adopter when it comes to new tech but even I haven't bought into 3D yet simply because it didn't interest me enough. Now you factor in that 4K will likely only see large beneficial gains on TV sets over 70" or projector setups and you have what is a very small minority of people that are even interested. And if you get it to float within that minority of people how do you continue to produce 4K content and turn a profit without outrageous prices?

I guess what Im seeing is a lot of question marks in my mind if 4K can even be successfully launched. If this was something they tried to launch in 5--7 years from now I would have said it has a chance. I think on this one maybe there trying to move forward a little too fast. Personally I would love to see it succeed so it gets cheaper, lol, and I can buy in. Imagine a 100" TV with a 4K resolution for $5K someday?! That would be awesome.

Just my thoughts from what I have been reading around on this new 4K tech.

I'm in the same boat here, I don't really see 4k being relevant with the average screen size being 50-60". Now, a 4k projector, that would be a different story :)

Totally agree this is where it will make the difference.

I think that folks would have to increase their TV's from a normal 40-42" by a "double jump" to say 63" and those with 63" screens would have to be up to say 103" screens, to really notice the difference. Heaven help those with 103" screens !!

The Future is Now!

Engadget
LG 84-inch 'ultra definition' 4K HDTV going on sale in limited quantities
7606312922b323017138b.jpg

It looks like LG is actually going to sell that sweet 84-inch ultra-definition TV we saw at CES. With a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (UHDTV) it will maintain a full 1080p picture for 3D movies even with LG's FPR Cinema 3D passive glasses technology, and also includes the standard suite of Smart TV features. Of course, the launch is quite predictable, considering there's no way LG could let Korean rival Samsung rule the roost with its 75-inch ES9000 that's on the way.

During the Olympics, The BBC are having demos of the Japanese Super Hi-vision(?) system around the UK. Wish I was there to see that, or even the Olympics for real come to that!