Alice Through the Looking Glass (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 3, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99

11285811-1434414549195518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really does look like a smart steel! I'm itching to reorder it ! I liked the first film and desperately want to see the second one but this months been so expensive with steelbooks already!! I wonder how long I can resist this one lol

Mine went back........ huge, deep scratch down the front. Asked for a refund. Think I'll wait now for the price drop...... first movie is still not sold out and has been on offer many a time.Preferred this much more to the first film.

Yes, very, very pretty steelbook but I can't escape the feeling that we have two back pictures on show here and no front picture.

Let me try again . . . in the avoidance of further misunderstanding.

What we have on our steelbook are two images that are more suited as back of steelbook images and that's the be-all and end-all of it.

When I think of front artwork for an ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS steelbook I think of one of these:-
alice_through_the_looking_glass_ver23.jpg
alice_through_the_looking_glass_ver5.jpg
alice_through_the_looking_glass_ver8.jpg
alice_through_the_looking_glass_ver18.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Ranavalone
Very dissapointed by this steel,

I love the art used from the posters but it's ruined by the washed out metalic effect!!!! Why o why?

There's a lovely blue in the posters but it's completely ruined by the steels finish.

As for the film, it's not great and all over the place like the first but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Depp was painful to watch but sasha was surprisingly really good (can be hit or miss in certain films)

I'll pick up at some point to complete the collection but at the £15 mark or less but I'll have to try and get a PET for that poxy spine when kimchi announce their exclusive (which is bound to happen)

Reactions: lgans316
I politely disagree ;)

I think the steelbook is really simple and stylish and I absolutely loved the film.
I personally thought Depp was amazing as the Mad Hatter again. I am such a huge AIW fan and he fits my image of the Mad Hatter perfectly, loved him in both the first film and this one. This is such an incredibly enchanting film, the imagery is beaufuful and I hate Sacha but he was very watchable in this. :thumbs:

Anyone looking for an interesting "Alice in Wonderland" film then check this one out:-
20414_large.jpg

Yes, its Jan Svankmajer, it's from 1988, Czech language with English subs ALSO with English dub from Channel 4 for those not into subtitles.

SPECS for anyone interested
• Brand new HD telecine from the original uncut 35mm interpositive, created by the BFI in Prague last summer under the supervision of Švankmajer's regular producer Jaromír Kallista;
• Original Czech soundtrack with optional English subtitles;
• Alternative English soundtrack (the familiar Channel Four dub);
• Five short films, all with an Alice-inspired theme, namely:
- Alice in Wonderland (1903), the recent BFI restoration of the only surviving print of the first ever screen adaptation;
- Elsie and the Brown Bunny (1921), an eight-minute ad for Cadbury's Chocolate that was heavily inspired by Lewis Carroll;
- Alice in Label Land (1974), a witty government-sponsored animation using Alice in Wonderland characters to explain 1970s food labelling regulations;
- Are We Still Married? (1992) and Can't Go Wrong Without You (1993), the Quay Brothers' strongly Alice-influenced music videos for His Name Is Alive.
(Four of these will also be presented in high-definition; Elsie and the Brown Bunny is SD-only and restricted to the DVD);
• 36-page booklet with two essays on the film (Clare Kitson on the production, Philip Strick on the content), an interview with and biography of Jan Švankmajer, notes on all five extras, technical info and lots of stills (many in colour);
• Region-free.

Anyone looking for an interesting "Alice in Wonderland" film then check this one out:-
20414_large.jpg

Yes, its Jan Svankmajer, it's from 1988, Czech language with English subs ALSO with English dub from Channel 4 for those not into subtitles.

SPECS for anyone interested
• Brand new HD telecine from the original uncut 35mm interpositive, created by the BFI in Prague last summer under the supervision of Švankmajer's regular producer Jaromír Kallista;
• Original Czech soundtrack with optional English subtitles;
• Alternative English soundtrack (the familiar Channel Four dub);
• Five short films, all with an Alice-inspired theme, namely:
- Alice in Wonderland (1903), the recent BFI restoration of the only surviving print of the first ever screen adaptation;
- Elsie and the Brown Bunny (1921), an eight-minute ad for Cadbury's Chocolate that was heavily inspired by Lewis Carroll;
- Alice in Label Land (1974), a witty government-sponsored animation using Alice in Wonderland characters to explain 1970s food labelling regulations;
- Are We Still Married? (1992) and Can't Go Wrong Without You (1993), the Quay Brothers' strongly Alice-influenced music videos for His Name Is Alive.
(Four of these will also be presented in high-definition; Elsie and the Brown Bunny is SD-only and restricted to the DVD);
• 36-page booklet with two essays on the film (Clare Kitson on the production, Philip Strick on the content), an interview with and biography of Jan Švankmajer, notes on all five extras, technical info and lots of stills (many in colour);
• Region-free.

You should check out malice in wonderland.
It's the weirdest interpretation of alice in wonderland I've ever seen and it's set in modern London
It does have Danny dyer in but he's not too bad in it. Few other faces pop up who you should recognise

* on another note, this definately was not a "incredibly enchanting film"!, CGI is all over the place too like the first film, bad editing and you don't really know where you sit with it (still waiting for the rumoured directors cut of the first film which in my head will explain why parts are editied weird and take away the feeling of scenes seeming really forced and false - but I doubt we will see that)

Alice is my favourite novel but I'm still waiting for someone to get it right, a very long time ago I thought burton was the man but I was wrong.

Depp ruins films nowadays too, although he was back on form in black mass.
I'm hoping he does not over act sparrow In the newest pirates but considering what he has done to the majority of his blockbusters in the last 10 years it will bomb (and I don't mean ticket sales - we all know it will do well at the cinema)

You should check out malice in wonderland.
It's the weirdest interpretation of alice in wonderland I've ever seen and it's set in modern London
It does have Danny dyer in but he's not too bad in it. Few other faces pop up who you should recognise

* on another note, this definately was not a "incredibly enchanting film"!, CGI is all over the place too like the first film, bad editing and you don't really know where you sit with it (still waiting for the rumoured directors cut of the first film which in my head will explain why parts are editied weird and take away the feeling of scenes seeming really forced and false - but I doubt we will see that)

Alice is my favourite novel but I'm still waiting for someone to get it right, a very long time ago I thought burton was the man but I was wrong.

Depp ruins films nowadays too, although he was back on form in black mass.
I'm hoping he does not over act sparrow In the newest pirates but considering what he has done to the majority of his blockbusters in the last 10 years it will bomb (and I don't mean ticket sales - we all know it will do well at the cinema)

I was giving my opinion and for me it was incredibly enchanting. I loved the CGI as I said, for me it was gorgeous. I absolutely loved the film.

I love Depp as Sparrow in every Pirates film, for me he is such an incredible actor in so many different roles I adore him as an actor.

Please can we not have another petty debate it's been lovely not having them. We disagree that's cool :thumbs:

i haven't heard of that Alice @virkia, is it interesting take on the story?

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus
I was giving my opinion and for me it was incredibly enchanting. I loved the CGI as I said, for me it was gorgeous. I absolutely loved the film.

I love Depp as Sparrow in every Pirates film, for me he is such an incredible actor in so many different roles I adore him as an actor.

Please can we not have another petty debate it's been lovely not having them. We disagree that's cool :thumbs:

i haven't heard of that Alice @virkia, is it interesting take on the story?

@Flash I agree with you buddy :wacky:

The most Drama I encounter on this board, are in the Zavvi Threads. And I might add a few regular members creating it are on Top of the List.

Reactions: spookz and Flash
@Flash I agree with you buddy :wacky:

The most Drama I encounter on this board, are in the Zavvi Threads. And I might add a few regular members creating it are on Top of the List.

This has nothing to do with zavvi!
If it's WWA then they got the finish wrong accross the world IMO

I comment in the zavvi threads after the product is released with my opinion of the steels because I'm from the UK. I check most countries threads up until release for updates and then my home thread after release
Not my problem the UK threads and zavvi threads are some of the most popular on this forum

Shame because I really like the art but judging by what blu fans are doing to Disney/ Marvel WEA etc then maybe they can pull something better out with a spine title.

But in this case I think that will be hard to suit my taste going by the other posters for the film, I think these 2 (back and front) are the best posters and as I didn't enjoy the film too much I don't really want to spend £50 on blu fans (if it even happens) but would like it to complete the set so i'll prob stick an order in for this it when I see it for a reasonable price and then try to get a PET.

And if that comment was anyway aimed at me then you will see I really don't care what film thread or country or retailer it belongs to, as an example FAC don't tickle my fancy the majority of the time and you will see me mention my true thoughts in those threads when someone tags me even if it means people hating you a little just because I've given my honest opinion (which is much more petty - and that does happen, especially with FAC fan boys)
Same with kimchi or other countries WEA they might get.

Oh and I no way bag on zavvi as much as I used to, nothing's changed with them and no matter how much you give feedback to them directly or on here it don't change so it's pointless.
The titleless spines with Disney is not a zavvi thing (although a lot seem to think it is) it's accross the world unless it's US WWA or Asian WEA or zavvi re release WEA with a lenti

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: spookz
@Flash

You back again to stir things up? :rolleyes:

By the way, and in case you didn't know, you can report a post at the time it is made if you feel it doesn't contribute to the overall theme of the thread so absolutely no need for sly, or rather not so sly "drama queen" allegations or digs at me or anyone else because you don't like the contributions which, if just an opinion about a steelbook or the film contained within, have every right to be here unless decided otherwise by the power-that-be.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: spookz
Come on everyone lets get back to the steelbook Please :)

Just read "...Disney's latest home entertainment product Alice Through The Looking Glass is set to be this week's biggest selling DVD and Blu-ray release..."

That's good as it's such a great movie. I love HBC in it she was good in the first film but she was amazing in this one.

Has anyone watched the steelbook 3D version?

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus