Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Released: May 15th, 2017
Purchase: Artificial Eye - Discshop.fi - Amazon UK
Price: £99.99 - €150.00 - £89.99

For the first time ever on Blu-ray in the UK, all seven of Tarkovsky's masterpieces presented together in one set. Individually numbered and limited to 1,000 units.

Pakshot_Collage_1491484866.jpg

• Andrei Tarkovsky’s metaphysical dream zone: Selected scene commentary for all seven films by psychoanalyst Mary Wild

• 177-page book

• Ivan’s Childhood: Interviews with composer Vyaaheslav Ovchinnikov, cinematographer Vadim Usov and actor Evgeniy Zharikov

• Andrei Rublev: Making-of featurette; interview with actor Yuriy Nazarov

• Mirror: Interviews with screenwriter A. Misharin, composer Eduard Artemev and actor Oleg Yankovskiy; featurette

• Solaris: Interview with actor Natalia Bondarchuk; Donatas Banionis featurette

• Stalker: Interviews with cinematographer Aleksandr Knyazhinsky and set designer Rashit Safiullin

• Nostalgia: Interviews with co-writer Tonino Guerra and Marina Tarkovsky

• The Sacrifice: Video essay ‘Poetic Harmony’; audio commentary with author and translator Layla Alexander-Garrett and James King from Curzon Artificial Eye

FILMS:
Ivan's Childhood
Andrei Rublev
Mirror
Solaris
Stalker
Nostalgia
The Sacrifice

Read more at http://www.curzonartificialeye.com/andrei-tarkovsky-deluxe-collection#UuZh2CttGxWQrsKm.99

View attachment 304356

Last edited by a moderator:
@dan8885 One you might be interested in mate?

Thanks for the tag Nick! Normally I would be highly interested but some of the transfers I read are messed up. Especially Stalker and Nostalgia it seems like.
The rest should be fine. So with a hefty price tag and these two films out I don't know if I'll grab it.

Stalker is getting a proper remaster right now and should be out with Criterion soon. You can see clearly the difference here (taken from the BR community, thanks)

Artifical Eye DVD
B3A6H9v.jpg

Articical Eye BD (in this Set included)
TIpHJrC.jpg

New Mosfilm remaster
rYtRuKi.jpg

Btw, all of these are also released as a standalone release. First batch of each with Digipack or Slipcover, I forgot which one.
So if someone likes to pass on the bad transfers you can still pick up each individual.

Thanks for the tag Nick! Normally I would be highly interested but some of the transfers I read are messed up. Especially Stalker and Nostalgia it seems like.
The rest should be fine. So with a hefty price tag and these two films out I don't know if I'll grab it.

Stalker is getting a proper remaster right now and should be out with Criterion soon. You can see clearly the difference here (taken from the BR community, thanks)

Artifical Eye DVD
View attachment 290269

Articical Eye BD (in this Set included)
View attachment 290268

New Mosfilm remaster
View attachment 290267

Btw, all of these are also released as a standalone release. First batch of each with Digipack or Slipcover, I forgot which one.
So if someone likes to pass on the bad transfers you can still pick up each individual.
Thanks for the info/warning Dan! Damn, that BD transfer looks worse than the DVD... how the hell did they manage that?! :confused:

I've never seen any of Tarkovsky's work, so the set would have to be a great price for me to consider buying it anyway. I'll probably just start with Criterion's upcoming UK release of Solaris, and if I like that, then I'll take your advice and probably get the others separately too. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Thanks for the info/warning Dan! Damn, that BD transfer looks worse than the DVD... how the hell did they manage that?! :confused:

I've never seen any of Tarkovsky's work, so the set would have to be a great price for me to consider buying it anyway. I'll probably just start with Criterion's upcoming UK release of Solaris, and if I like that, then I'll take your advice and probably get the others separately too. :thumbs:

Solaris is a great start for Tarkovsky!

This is how the individual releases look like (again taken from BR, thanks to member "Dougling")

IMG_2091_zpspsbjh8rs.jpg

I have already got most of these so will pass on this. I did hear the transfers on Stalker and Nostalgia weren't great but I managed to order them when they were first listed at £8.85 each. They are nice editions with Slips and booklets so definatly worth picking up.

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and Noodles
Hey @Noodles, you might want to tread carefully with Tarkovsky. I love his work, he's very near the top of my list of favorite directors . . . but many people, even a lot of "art film" fanatics, think his films are glacially slow and dense to the point of being impenetrable. I would say Solaris is the best place to start, as I find it to be his most accessible (or maybe I should say least alienating) film. It's also my favorite of his films, but that's partially because I love the Stanislav Lem book it's based on and cerebral sci-fi in general. But if you watch that one and don't like it, I don't think there's any chance you'd like most of the others. Maybe his first two films, as they're a little less abstract than all of the remaining films.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Noodles
Hey @Noodles, you might want to tread carefully with Tarkovsky. I love his work, he's very near the top of my list of favorite directors . . . but many people, even a lot of "art film" fanatics, think his films are glacially slow and dense to the point of being impenetrable. I would say Solaris is the best place to start, as I find it to be his most accessible (or maybe I should say least alienating) film. It's also my favorite of his films, but that's partially because I love the Stanislav Lem book it's based on and cerebral sci-fi in general. But if you watch that one and don't like it, I don't think there's any chance you'd like most of the others. Maybe his first two films, as they're a little less abstract than all of the remaining films.

@Noodles
Definitely start with Solaris or Stalker.
But approach them as you would a novel. Tarkovsky invented "Deliberately Paced". (And I don't mean that as euphemism for slow or boring - far from it).
Thanks for the advice chaps! Solaris is one I've wanted to check out for a while, so I'll definitely start there and then move on to Stalker if all goes well. :thumbs:

Really nice set. But the bad transfers make it a no go for me.
Glad that Criterion is doing Stalker, but I really don't like the cover. (Way to make a film look boring).
IMG_4112.JPG
Articfial Eye has a better cover art. Oh well.
IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

(From DVDBeaver)

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4119.JPG

(From DVDBeaver)

@dan8885 who's blu ray release is that third still?