Apple WWDC

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
If you don't like Apple please keep your BS to your self. There's no need for it to be here. This is for people that actually want to discuss the OS/products offered.

Last edited:
Apple turns iOS 'PC Free' with OTA updates and wireless sync

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0781.jpg

Love your iPhone, but hate all of the PC-based tethering it entails? Apple has some good news: the company is taking its "post-PC" stance a step further, letting you activate your smartphone straight out of the box without syncing it to a computer. Also big news is the addition of over-the-air updates, which will let you receive changes without plugging the handset in. And some big news for music fans: users will be able to sync their iTunes libraries over WiFi connections with the update.

Apple adds camera shortcut to lock screen, volume up shutter key, and other enhancements to iOS 5

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0737-1307383449.jpg

Apple's just announced that iOS 5-enabled iPhones (and likely iPads and iPods, too) are getting a camera shortcut on the lock screen, the ability to snap pics by pressing the volume up button, AE / AF lock (hold touch-to-focus to lock), and a photo editor with crop, rotate, red-eye reduction and auto-enhance features.

Apple unveils iMessage, its BBM competitor, at WWDC

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0819.jpg

It's here, the moment BlackBerry owners been waiting for since the original iPhone launched: iMessage. Apple has just announced its new data-based push messaging service at WWDC, which looks to be a full-on competitor to the venerable BBM. This service works on an iOS device of any flavor, and lets you send text messages, photos, videos, and contacts to anyone else with one too. It also supports group chats and integrates with the new Notification Center in iOS 5. According to Tim Cook, it "works over WiFi or 3G, in case you were wondering," which is yet another blow for RIM. The final nail in the coffin for those of you who simply 'can't live without BBM:' delivery and read confirmations. Boom.

iCloud unveiled at WWDC, free for all 9 cloud apps, MobileMe RIP

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0871.jpg

Apple tipped its hat early, but now we have the details from the man himself. "iCloud stores your content in the cloud and wirelessly pushes it to all your device. It automatically uploads it, stores it, and pushes it to all your devices." And by "automatically," he means it: in addition to every day content, such as purchased music, books, photos and videos, device settings, and app data that will be automatically backed up over WiFi, Documents in the Cloud will effortlessly sync Pages, Numbers, and Keynote data between all of your iOS devices. There will be no advertising (contrary to previous rumors), and calendar, mail, and contact sync is free (for up to five gigs of mail). Also in store is the new PhotoStream cloud feature, which is essentially a gallery in Photos that exists on all of your iOS devices, Apple TV, your OS X and even your Windows PCs, and syncs through the cloud. Take a picture on your iPhone and it appears on your laptop and your iPad, and it's stored in the cloud for thirty days. iCloud will be released concurrent with iOS 5 this fall.

If that isn't enough, Apple has announced iTunes Match, a service that scans your iTunes library library and populates your iTunes in the Cloud account with any of your previously bought and ripped music -- in handy 256Kbps AAC, DRM-free files (as long as the titles already appear in the iTunes store). To be perfectly honest, in all the excitement we're having a hard time mourning the loss of MobileMe -- which is dead as of today, according to a certain Steve Jobs.

OS X Lion launching in July for $29.99

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0556.jpg

Apple has been talking about OS X Lion for some time already, of course, but it's now filled in most if not all of the remaining key details at WWDC. Dubbed a "major release" with over 250 new features, the OS adds things like a slew of new multi-touch gestures and full-screen apps (including iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, etc.), plus the all new Mission Control, which unifies Expose and Spaces, and the iOS-esque Launchpad application launcher. It also includes a new system-wide Resume feature that lets you pick up exactly where you left off, a new auto-save feature that automatically saves different versions of documents, the new AirDrop peer-to-peer file-sharing system, and a brand new version of Mail that finally includes a conversation view.

The big news revealed today, however, is that the OS will now only be available in the Mac App Store as a 4GB download -- which installs in place, no reboots -- and that it will run you just $29.99 for all of your authorized Macs. It will be available sometime in July, but developers can get the latest preview release today.

Notification Center for iOS 5 announced

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0625.jpg

It looks like iOS 5 has a new approach to notifications -- and we like what we see so far. Notification Center aggregates your various app alerts and eschews the pop-ups for a decidedly Android-esque list that appears at the top of our your screen when you you get a Facebook message, or a tweet, or when you miss a call. Swiping down brings you to the list, and swiping across any instance takes you to the corresponding app. Feast your eyes on the gallery below for a closer look.

Apple brings deep Twitter integration to iOS

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0673.jpg

Apple's just announced that it's bringing deep Twitter integration to all of its iOS-based devices, and to many of its own apps, including Camera, Photos, Safari and Maps. That integration also, of course, extends to Contacts, where you'll be able to link your contacts to their Twitter handle and keep their information updated accordingly, much like Android. You'll also only have to sign into Twitter once (in Settings), and then simply share those credentials with any app that requests them.

Apple's iOS 5: all the details

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0853-1307384412.jpg

Scott Forstall has just taken the WWDC 2011 stage and details about the changes and improvements in iOS 5 are flowing thick and fast. Keep one tab in your browser locked to this post as we update it with all the new features, and throw another one open for our liveblog where you'll get to see and read the very latest as it happens.

We've now put together the full list of highlights from the WWDC presentation, which you'll find after the break. iOS 5 will be made available this fall, with compatibility promised for the iPhone 4 and 3GS, iPad 1 and 2, and iPod touch 3rd and 4th generation.

Firstly, stats. Scott notes that Apple has so far sold 200 million iOS devices, with more than 25 million of those being iPads. There have been 14 billion downloads from the App Store, tallying over $2.5 billion paid out in revenue to app developers. The iTunes Store isn't doing badly, either, with 15 billion songs sold.

1. And the first new feature: an overhaul of notifications. At last! A new Notification Center aggregates all your, well, notifications into one and is accessible by swiping down a menu from the top of the screen. Yes, just like Android. Small X buttons alongside each note allow you to dismiss it, though there's no "clear all" option for the more decisive among us. Notifications are also making their way onto the lockscreen, where swiping across a text message takes you right into it. A little something like Samsung's TouchWiz implementation.
  2. Newsstand is a new place to house all your magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
  3. Twitter integration is also coming to iOS 5, with a single sign-in allowing a multitude of apps to make use of your Twitter credentials. That includes the Camera and Photos programs, finally letting you tweet images out directly from your galleries.
  4. Safari Reader is a new browser feature that will strip out distractions and present the text of a webpage with no other excess content. Accessible via a button next to the address bar. Also added to the iOS browser is a Reading List, which does what the name suggests by accumulating a list of pages you want to read later. Accessible on multiple devices. Tabbed browsing is making a debut in v5.0 as well, which is sure to be a boon for iPad users.
    Reminders is another self-descriptive feature. This one's intelligent enough to remind you to do things based on your location. It'll sync across devices and with your calendar.
  5. Yay, there's now a camera button right on your lockscreen! The volume-up button is also doubling up as a physical shutter release key when you're in the camera app. Pinch-to-zoom is said to be available right in the app, while holding your finger down on a particular area will lock down exposure to optimize the shot for its particular lighting. Some new in-device editing options have also been added, including cropping, rotation, red-eye reduction, and a one-click enhance option.
  6. A new split keyboard has also been shown off in iOS 5.
  7. Headline feature: PC Free! No more cables required for syncing. Now we're talking. Setting up and activating a new iOS device can be done right on the device itself, and syncing will be wireless too -- there'll be no need to tether to a computer anymore. Over-the-air updates are also part of the new deal, and in better news still, they'll contain only the data that's changed, meaning you won't have to re-download the entire OS every time Apple opts to make a minor tweak.
  8. Another pretty significant novelty: iMessage. It's a messaging service exclusively for iOS users (irrespective of which device they're rocking), which comes with delivery and read receipts, an indicator for when the other party is typing, and the ability to push messages to all your devices. Kinda, sorta like BBM. You'll be able to send messages, photos, videos, and contacts. Group messaging will also be available. It works over either WiFi or 3G and looks to be making good use of Apple's new push notifications.
  9. Perhaps the biggest innovation of all in iOS 5, however, will be the way iCloud affects the use of your mobile device. Hit up our overview post of the company's new cloud-syncing solution to learn all about it.

iOS 5 will ship in the fall to the following devices: iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, iPad 1 and 2, and iPod touch 3rd and 4th generation.

Last edited:
Apple announces iTunes in the Cloud, iTunes Match

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote1013.jpg

Apple has just announced its long-awaited cloud-based music service: iTunes in the Cloud. It will let you download any music you've purchased to all of your devices at no additional charge, which Steve Jobs notes is a first for the music industry. It also includes an Automatic Downloads feature that will automatically pull down all new purchases made on other devices. The music files themselves are 256kbps and can be pushed to up to ten devices -- and, like the other nine apps that make up iCloud, it's completely free.

What's more, Apple has also announced its new iTunes Match service that will let you put your existing collection of ripped CDs in the cloud. That's done by scanning your library and matching songs to the versions Apple already has, rather than uploading everything -- a process Apple notes takes "minutes," not "weeks" -- although songs will be uploaded in cases where there is no match. It will run you $24.99 a year, and promises to give you all of the "same benefits as music purchased from iTunes."

OS X Lion launching in July for $29.99

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0556.jpg

Apple has been talking about OS X Lion for some time already, of course, but it's now filled in most if not all of the remaining key details at WWDC. Dubbed a "major release" with over 250 new features, the OS adds things like a slew of new multi-touch gestures and full-screen apps (including iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, etc.), plus the all new Mission Control, which unifies Expose and Spaces, and the iOS-esque Launchpad application launcher. It also includes a new system-wide Resume feature that lets you pick up exactly where you left off, a new auto-save feature that automatically saves different versions of documents, the new AirDrop peer-to-peer file-sharing system, and a brand new version of Mail that finally includes a conversation view.

The big news revealed today, however, is that the OS will now only be available in the Mac App Store as a 4GB download -- which installs in place, no reboots -- and that it will run you just $29.99 for all of your authorized Macs. It will be available sometime in July, but developers can get the latest preview release today.

I hate the way they are going to be selling this new update. Over App store only! that's just stupid. How are you going to reinstall if the system crashes? what if you want to install on other Macs in your house hold? way to go Steve sticking it to the normal folks again...

I was playing with the Developer preview and it is definitely a nice update! I liked several things on the new OS. I feel that it actually made some significant changes from the update of 10.6.

Apple unveils iMessage, its BBM competitor, at WWDC

stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote0819.jpg

It's here, the moment BlackBerry owners been waiting for since the original iPhone launched: iMessage. Apple has just announced its new data-based push messaging service at WWDC, which looks to be a full-on competitor to the venerable BBM. This service works on an iOS device of any flavor, and lets you send text messages, photos, videos, and contacts to anyone else with one too. It also supports group chats and integrates with the new Notification Center in iOS 5. According to Tim Cook, it "works over WiFi or 3G, in case you were wondering," which is yet another blow for RIM. The final nail in the coffin for those of you who simply 'can't live without BBM:' delivery and read confirmations. Boom.

LiveProile can do that already. Hardly a new thing. The one company who unifies all devices will be the most popular.

Ya they are very generous to "upgrade" your music to 256kbps lol This has been the best Keynote ever :hilarious:

I agree, this is utter crap IMO. They should of of at least allowed up to 356Kbps. $24.99 seems like a high price to pay for that quality.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Me 2!! Well not on a nexus since Im not cool like you lol But wow they are so Inovative!!

They made it look pretty dude! :p

It was a necessary thing on iOS though. Glad they added this.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I can tell you Android nerds that until Google gets off their a$$ and deals with the compatibility issues that are rampant in their OS, you can't really judge the company that is doing something right ;). I don't love the iPhone nor I remotely like it since it's just rehashed stuff that's been available for years and sold to people as "innovative", but they are doing some stuff right.

Stupid phone manufacturers want to add their own crappy skins on top of a perfectly good OS.

Lol Rick doesn't get it. Different Manufacturers never stopped WM to move on. Compatibility was never an issue. Perhaps there's a few of you that still don't get it ;)

The OS is fine for the most part, except compatibility is BS to date!

I hate the way they are going to be selling this new update. Over App store only! that's just stupid. How are you going to reinstall if the system crashes? what if you want to install on other Macs in your house hold? way to go Steve sticking it to the normal folks again...

That was one of the two things I was wondering. I'm assuming to put it on another computer you'll just have to have your account info on that computer and it'll some how be confirmed as your computer... I'm sure you can't put your account on 1431204283540 different computers... lol. At least I don't think so.

The second thing that had me wondering about implementation is the photo-to-cloud thing. So it's going to be instant? I'm not sure that's for everyone.

As a reviewer on engadget said:

Zach Honig: "...I also imagine some users wouldn't necessarily want all of their content popping up on the family Apple TV (naughty iPhone pics, anyone?), so PhotoStream may be responsible for some awkward moments in the future. Overall, iCloud sounds like a win for Apple and iOS device owners, and you really can't beat the ad-free price tag. Sayonara, MobileMe."

The second thing that had me wondering about implementation is the photo-to-cloud thing. So it's going to be instant? I'm not sure that's for everyone.

Zach Honig: "...I also imagine some users wouldn't necessarily want all of their content popping up on the family Apple TV (naughty iPhone pics, anyone?), so PhotoStream may be responsible for some awkward moments in the future. Overall, iCloud sounds like a win for Apple and iOS device owners, and you really can't beat the ad-free price tag. Sayonara, MobileMe."

Nevermind. Thanks to engadget we have an answer...

ios-5-iphone30.jpg

Wow u guys are anal. Our posts get deleted yet horhays stays? ... You know the post that started the conversation. We didn't even swear this time, talk about... Never mind ill just go now.

That was one of the two things I was wondering. I'm assuming to put it on another computer you'll just have to have your account info on that computer and it'll some how be confirmed as your computer... I'm sure you can't put your account on 1431204283540 different computers... lol. At least I don't think so.

That's still a pretty stupid idea! There's more folks looking to get a hold of a physical media disc than a download. I was reading TUAW yesterday and people brought some interesting points. First, what if people dont have access to broadband? Sure, we are in 2011 that still doesn't mean everyone has high speed internet. A 4GB download might take a while and can be troublesome for some folks.

Apple continues to be so adamant on getting rid of physical media that it chooses to go this route. I don't like it, but hey what can we do? I hope they release the disc after release.