Avengers: Age of Ultron (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Lenticular Edition) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 31st, 2016
Purchase link: Avengers: Age of Ultron (live)
Price: £24.99

IMG_8958.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine today, eh it's ok but not what I was expecting or hoped for. Never mind, still I've got my one Click AOU blufans coming so I've got that to look forward, costs a lot more but worth it IMO.

Not receive mine yet but the front looks as good as I hoped it would and that art is why I bought this(especially when that's all they revealed, niw we know why they never showed us the back and inside as they would have had mass cancellations ) it's got an embossed title which is a bonus seeing as we have to put up with a border (due to the lenti).. it's nice they've made use of that unlike the ant man one which would have been better without the border as the art went oddly over the bottom or the border.
The lenti looks good on its own( I don't keep the lenti's on the steel from the few I've bought in the past ) the back is nice but really is ruined by thor being cut in half... and the inside:OMG::OMG::OMG: not sure I've ever seen anything like it.. is it worse than no inside art at all? that's debatable... for me it's a fail either way.. so weird!

But I'm 100% happy with the front as that's what I will be displaying and why I bought it, and if the rest was good that would be a bonus but sadly that didn't happen. just a shame though to get badly cropped back artwork and inside art that wouldn't fit the space so instead of cropping the characters out they made it letterbox instead:confused: changing the image was obviously too simple of a task

the strange thing is, someone decided that the inside artwork would be ruined by zooming in and losing part of the picture/and characters but didn't make the same decision when they realised that zooming into the back artwork would do the exact same thing... or did realise and just went with it anyway:confused::confused::confused: can't crop the inside but we can split thor down the middle on the back quite happily :rofl: so crazy.. who ever put this steelbook/art together really didn't care in the slightest about the finished product.

I think this will be the last one I buy (I have only bought 4 of the lenti wave) it's too much like pot luck for the price they're asking.. if they were to give up info on pre order (artwork,finish, embossing/debossing,disc features etc) we could make an informed decision about whether it's worth the price, it's not like the people behind the release don't already know this information, they just choose to withhold it.. and at £25 they really shouldn't do that.

Sorry for the essay, think I got carried away:emb:

Amateaur Grade Steelbook:D....the lenti graphic size seriously looks like it does not even belong to the original package...the back and inside artwork look like magazine clippings

Blufans all the way over this one

This is an exclusive Zavvi release...they must have seen this product before it went into market and they approved???

P.S. the inside artwork is hilariously in a league of its own...LOL

Last edited:
Having now had a bit of time to take a better look at my copy and to be fair got to say that it's not a bad little package. The images are great throughout - to me at least - and it's a perfectly acceptable steelbook although not really acceptable as a lenticular steelbook package (for obvious reasons) . . . but of course that's easily fixed.

Regarding the lenticular magnet: Despite the lack of any 3D movement in the top half there is good depth to it and the static effect is fine but it's certainly not nearly as good as some of the others in the series and could be considered boring as - - - - when compared to the HMV Spider-Man lenti steels or the Zavvi Hulk lenti steels.

As can be seen from in-hand pics it is sadly suffering from the same problem that plagued some, but not all, of the lenti steelbook releases from towards the end of last year (most noticeably THOR and GUARDIANS) where the image on the magnet is shrunk-to-fit not taking into consideration that parts of the same image - slightly larger - behind it on the steelbook are visible on the frame with the result that it all looks a bit silly and "wrong" with the two parts sitting VERY unhappily together.
No artwork that needs to be aligned on this one with the frame so no excuse for what happened here.

Admit to feelings of disappointed and thoughts of how this lenticular could have looked had it been full height (as on the two Hulks).

Steelbook itself ain't bad and stands to reason that cropping of images of people in movement / in action is entirely deliberate and designed to convey just that (a sense of left-to-right or vice versa movement) - something difficult to convey in a 2D setting without adding movement lines or having the figures "rushing" out of frame - cropping - and with so many characters on show it's unreasonable to expect that all parts of each character will be completely in frame (IMO).

Anyway, it is what it is and anyone that doesn't care for it can send it back - won't stop it going OOS just like equally badly fitting THOR - and of course there are always other considerably more expensive options that are advertised here, and in just about every other U.K. steelbook thread at the drop of a hat and in every other post - for those willing and able to spend that amount of dosh on a single item.

Not receive mine yet but the front looks as good as I hoped it would and that art is why I bought this(especially when that's all they revealed, niw we know why they never showed us the back and inside as they would have had mass cancellations ) it's got an embossed title which is a bonus seeing as we have to put up with a border (due to the lenti).. it's nice they've made use of that unlike the ant man one which would have been better without the border as the art went oddly over the bottom or the border.
The lenti looks good on its own( I don't keep the lenti's on the steel from the few I've bought in the past ) the back is nice but really is ruined by thor being cut in half... and the inside:OMG::OMG::OMG: not sure I've ever seen anything like it.. is it worse than no inside art at all? that's debatable... for me it's a fail either way.. so weird!

But I'm 100% happy with the front as that's what I will be displaying and why I bought it, and if the rest was good that would be a bonus but sadly that didn't happen. just a shame though to get badly cropped back artwork and inside art that wouldn't fit the space so instead of cropping the characters out they made it letterbox instead:confused: changing the image was obviously too simple of a task

the strange thing is, someone decided that the inside artwork would be ruined by zooming in and losing part of the picture/and characters but didn't make the same decision when they realised that zooming into the back artwork would do the exact same thing... or did realise and just went with it anyway:confused::confused::confused: can't crop the inside but we can split thor down the middle on the back quite happily :rofl: so crazy.. who ever put this steelbook/art together really didn't care in the slightest about the finished product.

I think this will be the last one I buy (I have only bought 4 of the lenti wave) it's too much like pot luck for the price they're asking.. if they were to give up info on pre order (artwork,finish, embossing/debossing,disc features etc) we could make an informed decision about whether it's worth the price, it's not like the people behind the release don't already know this information, they just choose to withhold it.. and at £25 they really shouldn't do that.

Sorry for the essay, think I got carraway:emb:
Exactly - it's getting too much of a gamble pre-ordering these lentls at £25, and there should be ALOT more info about the product itself. I really don't get it. Surely they must know by now what makes a great steelbook? And what collectors want out of their steelbooks?

• Thanks
Reactions: chunk
Got mine not long after I posted this morning and whilst I like the front without the lenti the rest is just dire

The lenti isn't bad but obviously as we can all see don't match up so that's a fail

The back: the colours are decent on the back and quite vivid strong colours on cap, Iron man, hulk etc and look really good which is why it's such a slap in the face, kick to the teeth and punt in the balls about the cropping. That's extremely dissapointing. Pretty much the whole of Thor is missing, half a hulk, and a part of hawkeye cut out. Also completely cut out fury, quicksliver and scarlet witch. Just completely unacceptable

And the inside border is horrible. Like i said earlier, if blu fans can have that inside as a whole why can't this

Shame on you marvel and Disney for getting a work experience kid designing this and probably not paying him or her and shame on zavvi for selling it (not that they had a choice but still)

• Thanks
Reactions: dLux and chunk
See, it's the inconsistency of the Marvel Lenti steels that winds me & others up. I mean look at at Antman, great artwork, rubbish Lenti, misaligned " double marvel" logo, poor finish and no bossing! Then you get this. Great front artwork and back, embossing, god awful Lenti and then, well just look at that inside artwork... my mind boggles. Do they not have some degree of quality control?

And yet, some the Lenti marvel wave are great, some not so great. But yes, it's marvel, it sells, but for the love of God Disney, stop making me drop my trousers and listen to people's feedback!
Just when you think they are listening by putting a title on the spine of Dr Strange, they come out with this monstrosity!

Still, got a PROPER Lenti AAOU from blufans, so I will face them off together and let blufans kick the s*** out of this one!
God know what these Disney Lentis are going to look like!!??

See, it's the inconsistency of the Marvel Lenti steels that winds me & others up. I mean look at at Antman, great artwork, rubbish Lenti, misaligned " double marvel" logo, poor finish and no bossing! Then you get this. Great front artwork and back, embossing, god awful Lenti and then, well just look at that inside artwork... my mind boggles. Do they not have some degree of quality control?

And yet, some the Lenti marvel wave are great, some not so great. But yes, it's marvel, it sells, but for the love of God Disney, stop making me drop my trousers and listen to people's feedback!
Just when you think they are listening by putting a title on the spine of Dr Strange, they come out with this monstrosity!

Still, got a PROPER Lenti AAOU from blufans, so I will face them off together and let blufans kick the s*** out of this one!

Well said

• Thanks
Reactions: Steelselecta
Having now had a bit of time to take a better look at my copy and to be fair got to say that it's not a bad little package. The images are great throughout - to me at least - and it's a perfectly acceptable steelbook although not really acceptable as a lenticular steelbook package (for obvious reasons) . . . but of course that's easily fixed.

Regarding the lenticular magnet: Despite the lack of any 3D movement in the top half there is good depth to it and the static effect is fine but it's certainly not nearly as good as some of the others in the series and could be considered boring as - - - - when compared to the HMV Spider-Man lenti steels or the Zavvi Hulk lenti steels.

As can be seen from in-hand pics it is sadly suffering from the same problem that plagued some, but not all, of the lenti steelbook releases from towards the end of last year (most noticeably THOR and GUARDIANS) where the image on the magnet is shrunk-to-fit not taking into consideration that parts of the same image - slightly larger - behind it on the steelbook are visible on the frame with the result that it all looks a bit silly and "wrong" with the two parts sitting VERY unhappily together.
No artwork that needs to be aligned on this one with the frame so no excuse for what happened here.

Admit to feelings of disappointed and thoughts of how this lenticular could have looked had it been full height (as on the two Hulks).

Steelbook itself ain't bad and stands to reason that cropping of images of people in movement / in action is entirely deliberate and designed to convey just that (a sense of left-to-right or vice versa movement) - something difficult to convey in a 2D setting without adding movement lines or having the figures "rushing" out of frame - cropping - and with so many characters on show it's unreasonable to expect that all parts of each character will be completely in frame (IMO).

Anyway, it is what it is and anyone that doesn't care for it can send it back - won't stop it going OOS just like equally badly fitting THOR - and of course there are always other considerably more expensive options that are advertised here, and in just about every other U.K. steelbook thread at the drop of a hat and in every other post - for those willing and able to spend that amount of dosh on a single item.

It's not a bad little package? Mate, it's a flippin' car crash from front to back (to inside too!)....

You state on the previous page it's not Zavvi's fault but if I buy a dodgy item from a shop I 100% hold that shop accountable, regardless whether they manufactured said item themselves.

You also showed on the previous page your dismay/disbelief at people paying more than you feel comfortable with for an imported release..... Now everyone has their thresholds when it comes to spending (and each to their own) but AOU Blufans and AOU Zavvi is a prime example of you get what you pay for.

I tell you, I didn't even open my copy!
I just opened the box and saw that bloody awful lenticular just sitting there, odd bits of image creeping out from behind it, and
I felt like drop kicking it out of the window.

I think many people are being far too kind to this awful thing. Remember this is within a fiver of the average FAC, and there is no comparison whatsoever.

@blu-steel - but that entirely defeats the object :(

@steelbobawny - Think u mispelt it mate, that should surely read "Age of Crap!" jajajajajaja

Last edited:
It's not a bad little package? Mate, it's a flippin' car crash from front to back (to inside too!)....

You state on the previous page it's not Zavvi's fault but if I buy a dodgy item from a shop I 100% hold that shop accountable, regardless whether they manufactured said item themselves.

You also showed on the previous page your dismay/disbelief at people paying more than you feel comfortable with for an imported release..... Now everyone has their thresholds when it comes to spending (and each to their own) but AOU Blufans and AOU Zavvi is a prime example of you get what you pay for.

Yes, indeed, it's not a bad package and the ONLY thing I don't like about it is the way the lenticular sits on the steelbook. Back art and inside art, whilst not stellar, is colourful and more than acceptable and I don't mind in the least that the back and inside images are not quite as complete as on the BF.

Who's to blame for inflicting this "horrendous steelbook" on an unsuspecting British populace? Zavvi (loud boos all around) but of course it's NOT Zavvi's fault - they are neither the designers of the steelbook nor the designers of the lenticular - and I suggest you take any objections on either / both to the relevant party - i.e. the studio behind the release / Scanavo where the thing is manufactured.

If you bought this steelbook and are not happy with it you can always return it so nothing much is lost and the retailer will be fulfilling their contract to you by giving you a refund and that's the bee-all and end-all of it.

At the time of your complaint Zavvi may bring to your attention that they are retailers, not designers of steelbooks or manufacturers of steelbooks and, furthermore, if you'd consider it good business practice for Zavvi to tell the multi-billion dollar studio behind this and similar releases "Well, old boy, this steelbook of yours that you want us to sell in the U.K. really sucks and we refuse to stock it/sell it because our customers just won't buy it". . . Yeah, sure thing, just imagine . . . and I'm sure you'd agree that that behaviour would be totally unacceptable and unreasonable - suicidal in fact - from a business trying to make a success out of selling home video products (amongst other things) and in particular from a company that prides itself on the sobriquet "The Home of U.K. Steelbooks".

Let's not forget too that the last time I checked Zavvi's site this "epic fail of a steelbook" was showing as "Sold out" by the time of its release so clearly Zavvi know what they are doing . . . and continuing with the "ridiculous" notion that Zavvi know what they are doing let's admit that Marvel steelbook releases sell reasonably well (even those with lenticulars) and that this steelbook is no different in that it will be bought and bought and bought despite the fact it's hardly a novelty item with its THIRD release in steelbook packaging in not much more than a year !!!

In conclusion: just remove the magnet so as not to spoil a fine steelbook and reveal the perfectly fine artwork . . . or pay a reported 52 quid for the BF and get busy front (our back) artwork and some other bits-and-bobs.
As the man says "You pays yer money and you takes yer choice" and although AGE OF ULTRON is my least favourite of the three steelbooks received today - two with slipcases costing GBP 12.74 each DRACULA and THE MUMMY - I'm not unhappy about giving it shelf space . . . and I've got plenty of far worse steelbooks on my shelves. . . though admittedly not that many costing as much as 25 quid each.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, it's not a bad package and the ONLY thing I don't like about it is the way the lenticular sits on the steelbook. Back art and inside art, whilst not stellar, is colourful and more than acceptable and I don't mind in the least that the back and inside images are not quite as complete as on the BF.

Who's to blame for inflicting this "horrendous steelbook" on an unsuspecting British populace? Zavvi (loud boos all around) but of course it's NOT Zavvi's fault - they are neither the designers of the steelbook nor the designers of the lenticular - and I suggest you take any objections on either / both to the relevant party - i.e. the studio behind the release / Scanavo where the thing is manufactured.

If you bought this steelbook and are not happy with it you can always return it so nothing much is lost and the retailer will be fulfilling their contract to you by giving you a refund and that's the bee-all and end-all of it.

At the time of your complaint Zavvi may bring to your attention that they are retailers, not designers of steelbooks or manufacturers of steelbooks and, furthermore, if you'd consider it good business practice for Zavvi to tell the multi-billion dollar studio behind this and similar releases "Well, old boy, this steelbook of yours that you want us to sell in the U.K. really sucks and we refuse to stock it/sell it because our customers just won't buy it". . . Yeah, sure thing, just imagine . . . and I'm sure you'd agree that that behaviour would be totally unacceptable and unreasonable - suicidal in fact - from a business trying to make a success out of selling home video products (amongst other things) and in particular from a company that prides itself on the sobriquet "The Home of U.K. Steelbooks".

Let's not forget too that the last time I checked Zavvi's site this "epic fail of a steelbook" was showing as "Sold out" by the time of its release so clearly Zavvi know what they are doing . . . and continuing with the "ridiculous" notion that Zavvi know what they are doing let's admit that Marvel steelbook releases sell reasonably well (even those with lenticulars) and that this steelbook is no different in that it will be bought and bought and bought despite the fact it's hardly a novelty item with its THIRD release in steelbook packaging in not much more than a year !!!

In conclusion: just remove the magnet so as not to spoil a fine steelbook and the artwork is perfectly fine . . . or pay a reported 52 quid for the BF with the busy front (our back) artwork . . .
As the man says "You pays yer money and you takes yer choice".

Its not zavvi know what they are doing its marvel know what they are doing and their films will always sell. And it sold out before anyone could see this monstrosity. And it will be back like antman

In this case I don't get why anyone is not bothered by that cropped back image. You don't cut out main characters and leave half of them in like Thor. That's extremely unprofessional.

You can see some of thors face and his creepy eye staring at you on the left of the spine when closed and on the shelf and it's sooo odd. Then you got fury and hulks arm in the crease where you open it. Badly done

And why would a company be so afraid to pass feedback? That's absurd and should not happen to anyone or any company in the world. Zavvi can easily pass feedback without being scared of consequences. They are not going to go into a meeting saying "the backs sh*t mate, people hate it and think the designer was a 5 year old" are they?
It will be proactive

Look at the wreck it Ralph thread around the time the original art was announced. Someone passed feedback and made it clear to Disney the customer wasn't happy with the clip art image and I don't think they got shot for it

Lol suicidal !!!

Last edited:

In conclusion: just remove the magnet so as not to spoil a fine steelbook and reveal the perfectly fine artwork . . . or pay a reported 52 quid for the BF and get busy front (our back) artwork and some other bits-and-bobs.
As the man says "You pays yer money and you takes yer choice" and although AGE OF ULTRON is my least favourite of the three steelbooks received today - two with slipcases costing GBP 12.74 each DRACULA and THE MUMMY - I'm not unhappy about giving it shelf space . . . and I've got plenty of far worse steelbooks on my shelves. . . though admittedly not that many costing as much as 25 quid each.

Jeez Louise, short succinct replies really aren't your thing are they.

If I sold you a rotten apple from my market stall, I would expect an earful. If all my apples were rotten then maybe I should be having a word with my supplier.