Base.com - SteelBook retailer thread

Dec 17, 2010
South west england
http://www.base.com

These guys have been reducing the prices on a few popular steelbooks, and a few questions have been asked about the packaging.

I thought it would be prevelant to start a discussion thread.

I received a steelbook from them in a cardboard mailer akin to the old zavvi and amazon mailers, it protected the steelbook although I had to return it anyway due to an issue unrelated to the packaging.

Delivery times and customer service have been very good from what I have experienced, the three orders arriving promptly. (two have been non steelbooks and were sent via next day DPD, all good there).

Last edited by a moderator:
Delivery times and customer service have been very good from what I have experienced, the three orders arriving promptly. (two have been non steelbooks and were sent via next day DPD, all good there).

That is reassuring to hear. I've ordered two steelbooks last night, and I've never used them before. A damaged steelbook I can handle, but bad customer service really frustrates me!

It might be worthwhile noting where they ship to,
Q. Where do you deliver to?
A. United Kingdom this includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man, Channel Isles and all BFPO addresses.
We also ship to the following countries - Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia And Herzegovina , Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, USA, Vatican City

They also ship from both the UK and Switzerland, the latter particularly if you order from 'BaseCH'.

Reactions: Orekul
is BaseCH the same company or are they seperate? it would seem that they are a seller with a similar name rather than part of base, due to them only being registered on the site in 2010 and showing as a reseller when you click the seller name.

base.com
BaseCH

Base is a trading name of Online Commerce Ltd, operating in the UK, and BaseCH is a trading name of Online Commerce GmbH, operating in Switzerland, or at least so I'm led to believe, so I'd assume they are the same people, with one just being able to avoid VAT charges.

Reactions: Orekul
Ordered a few items from base recently and agree with OP that delivery times has been very good. Reasonable prices as well - ET, Jaws, Ted etc are all much cheaper there than anywhere else

I ordered Ted, Bourne Legacy, Wanted and Snow White on Friday 19th and on revisitng the site tonight the prices of all those have dropped by a further £1 to £2 which makes them an incredibly good deal. I'm still happy with the price I've paid as Ted, Snow White and Bourne are well into the £20's elsewhere and as for Wanted I wonder where they picked those up from??

A lot of the old classics like Gone With the Wind and Ben Hur are also cheaper than anywhere else.

Lets hope the packaging survives the postal system.. :ohno:

I also found that the price of Ted dropped from £12.99 to £10.99 after I ordered. I contacted base.com, but they refused to refund the difference because this is just daily fluctuation of prices. Later I find that the £10.99 one is offered by BaseCH, which does not exclude the 20% of VAT from the price for foreign orders. Since I am from the US I still buy it at the cheapest price...:)

I hope my package arrives secure and safe without damages. Let's see how good its international shipping is.

I received my first order from base.com undamaged. It's been 6 days since this order was shipped. Its packaging is not very secure and protective though.

base.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen that packaging before, and ordered several times. Does it at least seem better than the standard cardboard mailers that everyone seems to use?

I don't know for sure. Maybe this is only for international orders? I think this packaging is a little better than the cardboard envelopes zavvi used to use because it is slightly padded and sticky inside so the item does not move in transit.

Just got a steelbook through from base.com, packaging was a bit different to what other people had. Mine was bubble wrap protected envelope. Not zavvi/amazon quality, but steelbook arrived in perfect condition.