Buy 1 Holy Grail steelbook or Buy 6 regular steebook?

Do you prefer 1 holy grail steelbook instead of 6 regular steelbook?

• I'm happy to spend $300 on 1 holy grail steelbook.

Votes: 56 36.8%
  • I'm happy to spend $300 on 6 regular steelbook.

Votes: 96 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MayFlower

Premium Supporter
Sep 28, 2011
I'm just curious what other collectors think about that question.

If you have $300 spending for steelbook, then what would you do?

Buy the holy grail steelbook like (Iron Man Futureshop, Rambo, etc) that you have been wanting to add

or

do you buy 6 individual steelbook at a price of $50 each.

I'm curious what you would do in that situation....

I see some members making comments like "I can't afford it", but then I see them with 50+ steelbooks in their collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way of thinking about if 1 grail is more desirable than 6 steels is at the time you will sell it. To be more realistic. 1 grail nowadays is more like 30 regular steels. When you sell, getting rid of 1 is alot easier than getting rid of 30. How much extra are you gonna pay for boxes and packing material? Paying ebay and paypal fees once is alot better than paying it 30 times isn't it? Plus the likely hood that you will be able to move the grail is much greater than you moving 30 steels, most of which, nobody really wants.

In regards to my collection of roughly 180 steel. On the surface, it would seem like I'm extremely foolish for paying so much for the grails I acquired, but lets look at it with objectivity. Using the formula that 1 grail = 20-30 steels, I estimate that someone with a collection of 300 or more steels has paid more for their collection than me. Thats not counting any grails they might have acquired, thats just if they have "regular" 300 steels which most likely never increase in value. So in the end, which would you rather have? Alot of money on a few steels that will increase, or hold its value? Or alot of money on many steels, which will probably amount to nothing in terms of resell?

Another way of thinking about if 1 grail is more desirable than 6 steels is at the time you will sell it. To be more realistic. 1 grail nowadays is more like 30 regular steels. When you sell, getting rid of 1 is alot easier than getting rid of 30. How much extra are you gonna pay for boxes and packing material? Paying ebay and paypal fees once is alot better than paying it 30 times isn't it? Plus the likely hood that you will be able to move the grail is much greater than you moving 30 steels, most of which, nobody really wants.

In regards to my collection of roughly 180 steel. On the surface, it would seem like I'm extremely foolish for paying so much for the grails I acquired, but lets look at it with objectivity. Using the formula that 1 grail = 20-30 steels, I estimate that someone with a collection of 300 or more steels has paid more for their collection than me. Thats not counting any grails they might have acquired, thats just if they have "regular" 300 steels which most likely never increase in value. So in the end, which would you rather have? Alot of money on a few steels that will increase, or hold its value? Or alot of money on many steels, which will probably amount to nothing in terms of resell?

That is only if you are looking at it from a re-sale point of view. Some people may enjoy owning 300 normal steels more than 20-30 high value ones. It all depends in the individuals situation and disposable income. They could be buying 30 steels over a period of 3 months whereas with a grail they would only be able to buy 1. Each to their own IMO!:)

That is only if you are looking at it from a re-sale point of view. Some people may enjoy owning 300 normal steels more than 20-30 high value ones. It all depends in the individuals situation and disposable income. They could be buying 30 steels over a period of 3 months whereas with a grail they would only be able to buy 1. Each to their own IMO!:)

Thats true. I just assume that most people sell at least a few at one point or the other. IF you're one of those who will never ever sell any of your steels, you can disregard my post lol.

I would say collect the numerous cheaper titles. There are only a certain amount of grails that will change hands. Not everyone will own one. If you are one who thinks of resale value, maybe a grail at a good deal makes sense. If you buy at the height of a grail, you probably will be stung. Better value IMO is buying the cheaper titles and HOPE:ohno: one day they may be grails :naughty: I collect for my enjoyment so it boils down to what will make you happier.

I no if I had to choose between buying Iron Man FS , or say buying a bunch of steels to the equivalent value of various films. I would rather have that IM grail on my shelf without question. :D

What I would love is a White Steel of TDNR with a limited print run of 800 at the most. That would be awesome albeit most probably a titanic fight to get hold of it. Make it the next grail. EEK!

Off topic I no, but had to say it anyway. :naughty:

Last edited:
I'd give up all my Thor steelbooks for one grail steelbook from Taiwan with a kicka$$ Thor picture/Hanzi characters on the slip blend-in to it just like IM & CA (TW), C what I mean 3+ Vs 1 grail, now how cool would that be :LOL:

Reactions: chanfm
The mind works in such funny ways when determining value. We have preconceived values of what something is worth. A loaf of bread should be roughly $3, a can of soda should be $1, and a blu ray movie should be roughly $30. When someone pays $1,000 for a steel, the mind cannot comprehend that. It gets thrown out of loop. $1,000 should be a new flat screen TV, or a laptop computer, not a steelbook. Well, for those of you who said that you would never spend $1,000 on a steelbook, I'm here to tell you you're most likely wrong. If you can count 30 steelbooks in your collection, you would have spent $1,000 (30 steels x $30 + tax). So in the end, you're really deciding on quantity vs quality value wise.

The mind works in such funny ways when determining value. We have preconceived values of what something is worth. A loaf of bread should be roughly $3, a can of soda should be $1, and a blu ray movie should be roughly $30. When someone pays $1,000 for a steel, the mind cannot comprehend that. It gets thrown out of loop. $1,000 should be a new flat screen TV, or a laptop computer, not a steelbook. Well, for those of you who said that you would never spend $1,000 on a steelbook, I'm here to tell you you're most likely wrong. If you can count 30 steelbooks in your collection, you would have spent $1,000 (30 steels x $30 + tax). So in the end, you're really deciding on quantity vs quality value wise.

That is a fair point, the thing is though people may actually watch these films so they would get 60 hours off entertainment as opposed to 2. I know not everyone opens there steels though but again that would mean having a shelf full as opposed to just 1 on its own. It is interesting to hear everyone views on this though! I can certainly appreciate why people want to own the grails, even though I can't justify it myself!:)

Reactions: Parkman and jcm
Probably lots won't agree with me, but I think "holy grail" are highly overrated. I've had most of them.
They always seem much more desireable when you don't have them than when you make a mortgage payment to aquire them.
I think its much more satisfying to buy six of those $30.00 steelbooks and watch one of them become a $300.00 steelbook in a couple of years.

Sent Via Batmail.

That is a fair point, the thing is though people may actually watch these films so they would get 60 hours off entertainment as opposed to 2. I know not everyone opens there steels though but again that would mean having a shelf full as opposed to just 1 on its own. It is interesting to hear everyone views on this though! I can certainly appreciate why people want to own the grails, even though I can't justify it myself!:)

That goes without saying. I'm just trying to think about this from a steel book collecting context. If someone just wants the movie, than they can probably save $5-$10 each for a regular amary case. Why pay a premium for steels? Even better, just get Netflix for $10 a month. There are no right answers to the question of 1 grail or 6 regular steels. Everyone that posts here is just posting his or her opinion. It just depends on how you look at it.

Reactions: Sigill
IMO...id say 6 steels for 300...my justification is that rarely people like only one steel and will stop at one, its an addiction, a steel book addiction!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.