College Football Conference Expansion

thunda123

Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Arizona U.S.A.
Anybody else a college football fan? All this expansion talk is crazy! I'm not sure any of this will actually go down but I guess there is some substance to some of these rumors.

Nebraska is gone buddy. so is the Big 12. I'm now a mid major school!

I'm still not so sure on the remainder of the big 12 leaving. I'll still be shocked if Texas bails to the pac 10.

Also, what if Nebraska is still bluffing? I know all the reports are saying they're gone but there's also reports saying they actually haven't been invited to the Big 10 yet.

Just seems like there's still a lot of "game playing" going on here.

Now, maybe all the rumors are true, but I'm still kind of skeptical until press conferences stating the truth.

With Nebraska apparently headed to the Big Ten, the Pac-10 is poised to become the Pac-16.

Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

Galloway & Co.: 6/9

Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com joins Galloway & Company to discuss the possible demise of the Big 12.

More Podcasts »
A Big 12 football coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach on Wednesday night that if Nebraska left the Big 12 the conference would dissolve, according to his athletics director and university president. The coach said Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado would join the Pac-10, leaving Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State behind.

"Nebraska is the key," the coach said.

The coach said the Pac-10 favored Colorado over Baylor because of the Buffaloes' presence in the Denver TV market.

Another Big 12 coach said Wednesday night that an anticipated Nebraska announcement of moving toward the Big Ten Thursday would indeed trigger the death of the Big 12 and a mass migration west.

"If Nebraska leaves," the coach said, "everyone has to look."

The new conference would be split into divisions with Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado forming an Eastern Division with Arizona and Arizona State opposite the former Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Stanford, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) in the Western Division.

O'Neil: KU's Self Frustrated
Kansas is still Kansas. Kids will want to come regardless of the league it is in. But men's basketball coach Bill Self also knows that as long as his program is blowing in the wind, he'll have to pitch a harder sell, writes ESPN.com's Dana O'Neil. Blog

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

Events have unfolded very quickly, the Big 12 coach said.

"Until the last two days, everyone thought the Big 12 was staying intact," he said.

As quickly as the Big 12 has rushed to the brink of collapse, it could take quite some time for it to become formalized. The coach said the league will have to go on for two more years before splitting up.

Asked how awkward that would be, the coach joked, "I don't think I'll go to the conference meetings this year [Big 12 football media day in Dallas next month]."

The only potential hitch is Nebraska and the Big Ten not coming to an agreement. But even in that scenario, which appears unlikely, the Pac-10 will expand to at least 12 teams, said the source familiar with the negotiations. While Colorado is in and Utah is a top alternative candidate, it's also possible that the Pac-10 would make a play for Nebraska or another Big 12 school instead of Utah.

"If Nebraska gets left at the altar by the Big Ten, which would slight them at the 11th hour, then it might be hard for them to stay in the Big 12," the source said.

It would take a week to 10 days to finalize the details of a Pac-16. The blockbuster deal would add the nation's No. 5 (Dallas), No. 10 (Houston) and No. 16 (Denver) TV markets to the conference, which already includes No. 2 Los Angeles, No. 6 San Francisco, No. 12 Phoenix and No. 13 Seattle.

With that large population base, the new conference would start its own network and, along with other broadcast partners, likely would distribute around $20 million per member, comparable broadcast revenue to the Big Ten ($22 million) and SEC ($17 million), the source said.

The Big 12 distributed $7 million to $12 million a year. The Pac-10 distributed $8 million to $10 million.

WALNUT CREEK, Calif.--The Pacific-10 Conference announced today that the University of Colorado at Boulder has accepted an invitation to join the Conference as its 11th member, the first new member since July 1, 1978.

"This is an historic moment for the Conference, as the Pac-10 is poised for tremendous growth. The University of Colorado is a great fit for the Conference both academically and athletically and we are incredibly excited to welcome Colorado to the Pac-10," said Commissioner Larry Scott.

"On behalf of The University of Colorado students, faculty, alumni and fans, we are proud to accept this invitation from the Pac-10 and join the most prestigious academic and athletic conference in the nation, " said Philip P. DiStefano, chancellor of CU-Boulder.

"The University of Colorado is a perfect match - academically and athletically - with the Pac-10," said University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson, "our achievements and aspirations match those of the universities in the conference and we look forward to a productive relationship."

Commissioner Scott, Chancellor DiStefano, President Benson, CU Board of Regents Chairman Steve Bosely and CU Athletics Director Mike Bohn and others will hold an official press conference on Friday, June 11, 2010 at 11 a.m. MT at Folsom Field in Boulder, Colo.

And there is the dagger!

Texas is on the clock . . . and Cornhole according to the Cornhole Regents Chairman has neither received an invitation nor voted on going to the Big 10.

My inside sources are telling me KSU's AD is on a surprise flight to Dallas.... And was answering "We can't announce that yet." "We don't want that out there yet"

Something big is coming down, tonight or tomorrow.

My inside sources are telling me KSU's AD is on a surprise flight to Dallas.... And was answering "We can't announce that yet." "We don't want that out there yet"

Something big is coming down, tonight or tomorrow.

Hmm, wonder what that might be.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Thought this was kind of funny:

A tweet from: theKSU

"Dear BYU, Utah, Boise, TCU: please come hang out with us. We could create the Farm & Mountain Conference."

Hmm, wonder what that might be.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Thought this was kind of funny:

A tweet from: theKSU

"Dear BYU, Utah, Boise, TCU: please come hang out with us. We could create the Farm & Mountain Conference."

The FMC!!! lol

In the last few years we have called the Iowa State vs Kansas State game the FARMAGEDON