Creature from the Black Lagoon (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) [USA]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Creature from the Black Lagoon Blu-ray SteelBook - Universal Monsters - Alex Ross Art
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/creatu...k-only--best-buy-1954/5940806.p?skuId=5940806
Release Date: Sept 12th, 2017
$14.99 , includes 3D

creature-jpg.316496

I'll get a scan up soon. Was very surprised to learn about the 3D

The film was originally shot in 3D in 1954, so don't expect too much. It's interesting to see how it was done in the 1950s but you cannot compare it to today's 3D.
I gather you not seen this in 3D it's one of the best 3D films for the 3D effects and lot better than lot of modern 3D films
Your in for a surprise as to how good the 3D is
The Blu-ray is the same Blu-ray as before always had 3D version on the Disc

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and ash333
USA Best Buy exclusives best editions because of the clear plastic slipcovers
USA Best Buy Unboxing from Youtube
Not my video :D

Zavvi Exclusive Steelbooks have a jcard but don't include clear plastic slipcovers
Not my Video

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
USA Best Buy exclusives best editions because of the clear plastic slipcovers
USA Best Buy Unboxing from Youtube
Not my video :D

Zavvi Exclusive Steelbooks have a jcard but don't include clear plastic slipcovers
Not my Video

Great info to put out there @paulboland :thumbs:
I originally ordered from Zavvi, then cancelled because the BB's were cheaper!
So now, it turns out they are not only cheaper, but better!:thumbs: Love the clear slips.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
The film was originally shot in 3D in 1954, so don't expect too much. It's interesting to see how it was done in the 1950s but you cannot compare it to today's 3D.
I think you will be suprised, I just watched Dial M for Murder and it looked fantastic. The 3D was every bit as good as modern movies! I've not seen this one but I have heard good things about the 3D.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
I think you will be surprised, I just watched Dial M for Murder and it looked fantastic. The 3D was every bit as good as modern movies! I've not seen this one but I have heard good things about the 3D.

House of Wax 1953 and Dial M for Murder 1954 and Creatures of the Black Lagoon 1954 is the 3 films that 3D was done well in the period 1952-1954 and significant at the time but was to late to save 3D to be a success

1952-1954 had a run of a lot 3D films with most been average to poor with exceptions of the above 3 films having good 3D but was to late for Dial M for Murder to get widespread cinema showing in 3D as by the time for cinema release the interest in 3D had declined and was mostly shown in 2D in the cinemas until a re-release back in the 1980's in the cinemas in 3D
Hitchcock said of 3-D, "It's a nine-day wonder, and I came in on the ninth day :rofl:

Of the above 3 films mentioned creatures of the black lagoon is the best for the 3D depth effects especially on Blu-ray as it was re-mastered using modern 3D methods

If the rest of the films in the period between 1952-1954 had of been as good in 3D as those 3 films listed above 3D would have been a success and continued beyond 1954 to be a success and Dial M for Murder would have got widespread showing in 3D it was just bad timing for cinema release as most wanted 2D viewings by then

The later revival in the 1960's to 1980's 3D was bad mostly B movies with a few exceptions and best forgotten about :LOL:

It was not until later years with Avatar that the interest in 3D was back but 3D is now also in decline again

House of Wax 1953 and Dial M for Murder 1954 and Creatures of the Black Lagoon 1954 is the 3 films that 3D was done well in the period 1952-1954 and significant at the time but was to late to save 3D to be a success

1952-1954 had a run of a lot 3D films with most been average to poor with exceptions of the above 3 films having good 3D but was to late for Dial M for Murder to get widespread cinema showing in 3D as by the time for cinema release the interest in 3D had declined and was mostly shown in 2D in the cinemas until a re-release back in the 1980's in the cinemas in 3D
Hitchcock said of 3-D, "It's a nine-day wonder, and I came in on the ninth day :rofl:

Of the above 3 films mentioned creatures of the black lagoon is the best for the 3D depth effects especially on Blu-ray as it was re-mastered using modern 3D methods

If the rest of the films in the period between 1952-1954 had of been as good in 3D as those 3 films listed above 3D would have been a success and continued beyond 1954 to be a success and Dial M for Murder would have got widespread showing in 3D it was just bad timing for cinema release as most wanted 2D viewings by then

The later revival in the 1960's to 1980's 3D was bad mostly B movies with a few exceptions and best forgotten about :LOL:

It was not until later years with Avatar that the interest in 3D was back but 3D is now also in decline again
Thanks Paul, I need to check this out then. If it is better than Dial M for murder, I will be impressed! I thought that looked excellent for its age, I wasn't expecting it to have as much depth as it did but it looked as good as modern 3D films.