Criterion Price Drop & Sales/last purchased thread @ hidefninja

I would not sweat the John Cassavettes box. The del Toro will be a hot one, though.
Did you mean 20-30% off ON TOP of the 50% off?!!

Yes. On one item only and limited to 1 use each account. I've bought the Zatoichi Boxset with this code.
I still got it saved in a note: 30% off online 30BFRIDAY - Active November 26, 2015 at 12:01am to November 30, 2015 at 2:59am ET
Zatoichi was $112.49 in the 50 % off sale and with the -30 % it was additional -$33.75. Plus shipping I've ended up with $87.22 :)

And there was multiple 10 % off codes. Like 10off75 when you buy more than $75. And BNTURKEY10. And and and. And now- nothing :(

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
Yes. On one item only and limited to 1 use each account. I've bought the Zatoichi Boxset with this code.
I still got it saved in a note: 30% off online 30BFRIDAY - Active November 26, 2015 at 12:01am to November 30, 2015 at 2:59am ET
Zatoichi was $112.49 in the 50 % off sale and with the -30 % it was additional -$33.75. Plus shipping I've ended up with $87.22 :)

And there was multiple 10 % off codes. Like 10off75 when you buy more than $75. And BNTURKEY10. And and and. And now- nothing :(
Where did you find those codes last year?
I am actually a B&N card holder this year, so I wonder if that will get me extra off?

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Where did you find those codes last year?
I am actually a B&N card holder this year, so I wonder if that will get me extra off?

Someone awesome send them to me after I asked multiple questions since it was my first order at B&N.
I think they'll shared once available in more active Criterion forums like on the other page.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
Grabbed 8 titles.... tag me if you see some code that actually makes discounts deeper as that would be only way (hopefully lol) that I get anything else. Hoping to be done for November :p

• Thanks
Theres a code, BNRMN20 gives 20% off the whole order, but you need to add $40 worth of non-Criterion
I did this last night with the Marx Brothers set. Been wanting to get that bad boy anyway so things worked out perfectly. Wanted Criterions bought :thumbs::thumbs:

Luckily I put the order in last night though, because the BNRMN20 code no longer works on Criterions as of this morning :meh:

• Thanks
Reactions: Raggle Fraggle!
Great choice! I'll get the Arrow Academy release for Dekalog and pass on the Criterion.

I've ordered only the Del Toro Boxset. I'll wait with anything else till Black Friday or till other discount codes get active.
what are the main differences, if any, between the arrow version and the criterion?

Yeah im wanting the Del Toro set as well, but might wait on that. might just get the films as seperate releases since the boxset seems to be oddly shaped from pictures ive seen of it.

• Thanks
what are the main differences, if any, between the arrow version and the criterion?

Yeah im wanting the Del Toro set as well, but might wait on that. might just get the films as seperate releases since the boxset seems to be oddly shaped from pictures ive seen of it.

I copped the Del Toro now because I thought they will sell like hot cakes since I'll wait probably till Black Friday with my next order.

Both Dekalog are probably worth to get. I didn't knew till yesterday that theres also one from Criterion. But there are a lot differences. Criterion got the alternative edits of two episodes (5 and 6) what's missing with Arrow (because Artificial Eye owns the rights to them and they will do a release in 17 for the UK). Arrow release got other bitrate, framerate, slighty more picture information and they added early Kieslowski films and documentaries.

DVDBeaver said this about Arrow: "It's not often another production company bests Criterion in both transfer and extras but Arrow have done it here even if they did not include the extended theatrical versions of Dekalog 5 + 6" and "This is still, without a doubt, the #1 Blu-ray package of the entire year, IMO. It can't be denied. Congratulations Arrow!"

Here's a quote from the other site:
"All ten of the TV episodes ("mini films") are included in the Arrow set. Missing are the alternate edits of the two TV episodes (V and VI) which were selected to be released theatrically as standalone films ("A Short Film About Killing" and "A Short Film About Love"). Of course when the Dekalog was shown theatrically worldwide, parts V and VI were included - only this time just as they were shown on TV. The rights for the longer standalone film versions belong to another distributor in the UK.

What the Arrow set has over the Criterion is bitrate (2 per disc vs 5), framerate (native 25fps vs 24fps with 4% slowdown), slightly more picture information (the caps show more on the left and right), early Kieślowski films (Pedestrian Subway, First Love, Personnel, The Calm, Short Working Day), documentaries about Kieślowski/Dekalog (Still Alive [2007], Dekalog: An Appreciation, KKTV), 128 page book, and price.

(It looks like both have "1990 audio recording from the National Film Theatre in London" but the Criterion has a number of interviews that might be exclusive, as well as its own booklet)."

Arrow release:
The masters were supplied at a somewhat odd 1.39:1 aspect ratio, which left us with two choices: crop them to a perfect old-fashioned CRT aspect ratio of 1.33:1 (which Criterion seems to have done), or leave them as supplied. And I decided pretty quickly on the basis of a side-by-side viewing that I preferred the very slightly wider aspect ratio, and recommended this to my colleagues. I also think that the Beaver grabs back me up on this - as does the fact that many of the original cinematographers approved the restoration, presumably aspect ratio and all.

The one thing that I was concerned about, bearing in mind the notorious top-and-bottom cropping of the Polish BD, was that similar (if much milder) cropping had happened here, but that happily turned out not to be the case: it's slightly more picture rather than slightly less.

Rumours about that the 20% off entire order BNRMN20 is working again.
Need to have above $40 of non criterion stuff in your basket, then enter the code. After that add the criterions to the basket and they should get the extra 20% off too.
Can't confirm though. Only heard the rumours...

• Helpful Post
Seems like B&N banned me :cautious:

This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists.

Thanks @dan8885 for the tag. Are the guys at B&N really that bad in packing up and protecting? I still haven't made up my mind about purchasing the Del Toro box set or not. This 50% off is surely a great chance but it would be a real bummer receiving such a beautiful item in damaged conditions. Plus it would be an overseas shipment, adding even more stress and rough handling to the parcel.

Mmmh don't know don't know don't know don't know.... :dunno::dunno:

• Thanks
Thanks @dan8885 for the tag. Are the guys at B&N really that bad in packing up and protecting? I still haven't made up my mind about purchasing the Del Toro box set or not. This 50% off is surely a great chance but it would be a real bummer receiving such a beautiful item in damaged conditions. Plus it would be an overseas shipment, adding even more stress and rough handling to the parcel.

Mmmh don't know don't know don't know don't know.... :dunno::dunno:

I can't say anything good about their packaging. I did three orders with them. Gladly some I received mint. But some with Slipbox like Jules et Jim I received with all corners bumped.
Their customer service is not the best. The chat didn't wanted to refund me. Only after I send a very clear and direct e-Mail I received a full refund.
I've received all in too large boxes for the content itself, they where flying around in the box. And with just one small "air pocket" in it. Gladly my Zatoichi Boxset arrived mint.
And yes, I'm also overseas, shipping from B&N with the cheapest option to avoid customs take 3-4 weeks. I've bought empty Criterion Scanavo Keep Cases to exchange them.
An option is you can ask a fellow ninja from the US if he will take your order and re-ship it to you with better packaging.

I can't say anything good about their packaging. I did three orders with them. Gladly some I received mint. But some with Slipbox like Jules et Jim I received with all corners bumped.
Their customer service is not the best. The chat didn't wanted to refund me. Only after I send a very clear and direct e-Mail I received a full refund.
I've received all in too large boxes for the content itself, they where flying around in the box. And with just one small "air pocket" in it. Gladly my Zatoichi Boxset arrived mint.
And yes, I'm also overseas, shipping from B&N with the cheapest option to avoid customs take 3-4 weeks. I've bought empty Criterion Scanavo Keep Cases to exchange them.
An option is you can ask a fellow ninja from the US if he will take your order and re-ship it to you with better packaging.

Oh darn that sounds pretty bad. (n) Thanks for your explanation. I guess I'll refrain from getting that box set, you can't really exchange it like with empty scanavo case. Once it's damaged, you'll have to keep it that way. I'm not super-picky when it comes to micro-defects and such on items, but the risk of getting a box set with all corners bumped beacuse it wasn't firmly fixed inside the cardboard box is too high.

• Thanks
Oh darn that sounds pretty bad. (n) Thanks for your explanation. I guess I'll refrain from getting that box set, you can't really exchange it like with empty scanavo case. Once it's damaged, you'll have to keep it that way. I'm not super-picky when it comes to micro-defects and such on items, but the risk of getting a box set with all corners bumped beacuse it wasn't firmly fixed inside the cardboard box is too high.

You're right. But on the other hand there's not much other options to order Criterion from overseas. The packaging from Amazon US is also a mess. Plus you definitely need to pay Custom tax from Amazon. With the cheapest shipping option from B&N you got a high chance to avoid those since it comes with ship through Europe. Criterion itself don't ship international because of rights restrictions.
The only option is to order everything to a middle-man in the US who repackage it for you. But then again you overpay outside of sales like B&N does. A single Keep Case for 40 USD is not an option for me.
I decided now that I get my highest want, the Del Toro Boxset, directly from B&N and try my luck since it will sell out till end of the month. And if there discount codes appear like probably around Black Friday I'll do a second order and ask a fellow US ninja to repackage for me.

c.png

I had also got Thin Red Line. Case was badly damaged.

Fox shows alot of rub wear.

I've only seen Dazed in the last year (first time) and Fox (like 7 years ago) and John M. well over 10 years ago.