Do You Want Amazon to DITCH the FRUSTRATION FREE PACKAGING?

How would you prefer your steelbooks packaged?

• Total voters
Having had nothing but bad experience due to Amazon's frustration free packaging (Many times), I decided to start this thread so that all those affected can comment and share their experiences about how they have suffered.

The Frustration Free Packaging is basically an easy to open box. But the edges of the cardboard that hold the steelbooks at the two sides dig in and tear the shrink wrap and even scratch/scuff the steelbook surface most of the times, if not always as shown below:

This one is supposed to be the one I received in perfect condition. Others were even worse and were returned immediately. So, this is all I could picture
IMG_0145.jpg

The corner damaged from the holders
IMG_0147.jpg

Another corner with a torn shrink wrap and minor scuffs not visible here
IMG_0152.jpg

The poll suggests the two ways you would want your steelbook packaged. Please vote for your favorite method because maybe this way we can get our message through to Amazon and call on them to change their current packaging.

And guys please feel free to post pictures of your steelbooks as well whether damaged or intact so that everyone can share their opinions on the packaging :)

EDIT: After having many questions from members here, I decided to explain how and why this Frustration Box packaging causes frustration. Well first off, I'm an international buyer and not a resident of North America or EU. Now, most of the members who have had a good experience with this packaging are the ones who got it from their respective Amazon websites either in NA or EU.

Since, it's a local delivery within the respective continents, there's gonna be no or very minimal wear/damage to the shrink wrap. But there might be some wear of the top layer of the shrink wrap (where it holds the steelbook) though it wouldn't surprise me if there's none.

But when it comes to international delivery, a lot of factors come into play ranging from distance, change of carriers, way of handling to final delivery. And what we (International buyers) get are steelbooks with torn shrink wraps, sometimes even crushed boxes EEK!

So basically, this thread is about trying to get the packaging done right with the use of bubble wrap especially for international buyers like myself. Though everyone is welcome to vote for their favorite method, but for me a few layers of bubble always help ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bd251
No. I like it because unless you're really unlucky and someone treads on it, you'll receive your Steelbook in the condition it left Amazon's warehouse. What problems have you suffered from this anyway? Your post is pretty vague.

Reactions: The Rainmaker
Always thought it could do with a layer of bubble wrap or foam on the edges of the cardboard that hold the steelbook in place. But never actually had a problem with it myself.

No. I like it because unless you're really unlucky and someone treads on it, you'll receive your Steelbook in the condition it left Amazon's warehouse. What problems have you suffered from this anyway? Your post is pretty vague.

The post has been revised and now gives clear details as to how this particular packaging damages steelbooks. I have had a similar experience as described above in 9 out of 10 cases. The only exceptions are the steelbooks that are wrapped in a plastic wrap (not shrink wrap) like From Paris with Love, Sin City, Spider Man 3, The Interpreter as the case in point.

Never had any problem with the protectiveness of the Amazon packaging. The only issue is that I have to have them sent to work as they are too big for our letterbox and the postie just leaves them on the doorstep (doesn't even bother to see if anyone is in).

Always thought it could do with a layer of bubble wrap or foam on the edges of the cardboard that hold the steelbook in place. But never actually had a problem with it myself.

Agree with Nyvo. It needs more padding to keep the box from getting crushed. I've also had boxes where the holders for the steel have been torn (I don't know if they do it in packaging or just the transporting of the box makes it tear that much) and the steel moves around a lot more than intended. I always use foam or bubble-wrap when reusing the boxes that come mint, so I can give that extra layer of protection.

I've never had a problem with Amazon UK/FR/DE since they changed their packaging for steelbooks and I use them a lot. That inner box is designed perfectly. It keeps the steelbook in place. Bubble wrapping would be the best of course but this is a suitable alternative :thumbs:

I think a layer of bubble wrap would work well. They could use those bubble wrap 'bags' i've seen Amazon.de use as it would take no effort to package then.

While bubble wrap and a box is always preferred I have zero issues with the packaging AMZ is using. Literally have received 100's of steels from them without issue that relates to the packaging (wethers its DE or UK). Companies like AMZ will never institute "slow packaging" methods like bubble wrap and a box so this is probably as good as it gets... thats just me guessing.

I dont have any major issues with the packaging aside from the fact its too big for my letterbox so Im forever collecting parcels from the post office or neighbours.

I still prefer the play.com/zavvi type of packaging with the lettterbox friendly size and foam padding as I find although the Amazon boxes provide good protection from the top, bottom and sides the front and back offers only one layer of cardboard protection then a big gap before the steelbook so anything dropped on it goes right through the card packaging and straight onto the steelbook (which has happened to me a couple of times)

I always order something else at the same time so it gets put in a bigger box. Last week I ordered four steelbooks and they all came together in a huge box packed with loads of brown paper. Never had a steelbook damaged from them except for spine slashes but that is not their fault.

I always order something else at the same time so it gets put in a bigger box. Last week I ordered four steelbooks and they all came together in a huge box packed with loads of brown paper. Never had a steelbook damaged from them except for spine slashes but that is not their fault.

The opposite happens to me from Amazon.uk. I ordered 8 (2 orders of 4) of the WB Classic steels (BenHur, Maltese Falcon, etc). And they dispatched them all in single steelbook boxes on the same date. I had 7 dispatch emails for my 8 items. The kicker is I received almost all of them on different days. ??

The opposite happens to me from Amazon.uk. I ordered 8 (2 orders of 4) of the WB Classic steels (BenHur, Maltese Falcon, etc). And they dispatched them all in single steelbook boxes on the same date. I had 7 dispatch emails for my 8 items. The kicker is I received almost all of them on different days. ??

That's never happened to me they always put mine together even if they are books or plastic blu-ray into a bigger box packed with paper.

I have never received any dented Steelbooks with this packaging but I do think the design allows for too much movement of the Steeblook even though it is controlled to a good extent. Several of the Steelbooks I have received lately have torn plastic wrap. Could the movement be the reason?...possibly. I did leave packaging feedback on their website lately for the three most recent arrivals that arrived with torn plastic but there have been others.

I would definitely prefer packaging such as Plays and would gladly pay a little more for the increase in the quality of packaging.

I have never received any dented Steelbooks with this packaging but I do think the design allows for too much movement of the Steeblook even though it is controlled to a good extent. Several of the Steelbooks I have received lately have torn plastic wrap. Could the movement be the reason?...possibly. I did leave packaging feedback on their website lately for the three most recent arrivals that arrived with torn plastic but there have been others.

I would definitely prefer packaging such as Plays and would gladly pay a little more for the increase in the quality of packaging.

+1 .You are right the torn shrink wrap is due to the movement. The cardboard holders having a sharp edge tear the wrap when there is movement.

To test the effectiveness of this packaging, I took one of such boxes in mint condition and packaged a perfect OCD mint steelbook in it just like it would have been done at amazon. Then I placed this box along with other similar ones in a bigger box (Just like Amazon does. Though you can do it with a single box as well). Finally, I tried to expose it to all those movements, shocks and vibrations that it faces during transit. One thing to note here is that I was never even close to being as rough as these post office people get while handling packages. But upon unboxing the steelbook, there it was - A slightly torn shrink wrap at the two sides.

The steelbook was fine though because this whole process took only like 20 minutes and I was trying to be gentle so as not to damage the steelbook :D. But in real life scenario, things are different. What I did for 20 minutes actually happens for around 10 to 15 days EEK!.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

While bubble wrap and a box is always preferred I have zero issues with the packaging AMZ is using. Literally have received 100's of steels from them without issue that relates to the packaging (wethers its DE or UK). Companies like AMZ will never institute "slow packaging" methods like bubble wrap and a box so this is probably as good as it gets... thats just me guessing.

Well they had been using a bubble envelope and cardboard sleeve till the beginning of last year. And those were the times the steelbooks arrived with no flaw at all unless it had one from the factory itself ;).

Though this new method might be cost effective as some members have pointed out, but we also have smaller retailers like JSDVD, YesAsia, Zavvi, HMV, K2DVD etc. Their inventory, turnover and profits don't even compare to that of Amazon's, but if they can offer a nice padded packaging, then so can Amazon. We have an example of Amazon Japan itself. If you order more than two steelbooks from them, even they package it very nicely using a shrink wrap to hold the steels on a cardboard and then sticking it to the inside of a box to prevent movement.

Moreover, the domestic buyers within EU or North America, as the case may be, do not get much affected due to the carrier being the same or some other reason. But the international buyers have a higher rate of receiving damaged steelbooks maybe due to the change of carrier or has something to do with distance involved :angry:.

Last edited:
Reactions: Askari23
Which Amazon(s) are you specifically referring to? Amazon.co.uk used their regular cardboard sleeves before the dedicated Steelbook packaging. Those are great for amarays but rubbish for the Steelbooks. I'd much rather have the Steelbook packaging than what we had before.

You can't beat the Play.com packaging as it is the right size and highly reusable. I like amazon's boxes too bt you have to polybag sealed Steelbooks to ensure that the shrink wrapping is in tact and stuff some cushioning materials surrounding the Steelbook so that it is well protected.

Which Amazon(s) are you specifically referring to? Amazon.co.uk used their regular cardboard sleeves before the dedicated Steelbook packaging. Those are great for amarays but rubbish for the Steelbooks. I'd much rather have the Steelbook packaging than what we had before.

I'm referring to Amazon.de. But even other Amazon sites were using the same conventional method till the beginning of last year. Though the new packaging is good in a way that it prevents dents. But if only it had a layer of bubble wrap or foam, it would have been the best. Because for an OCD collector like me, even a tiny tear is very frustrating, let alone the scuffs on the steelbooks :(.