Do You Want Amazon to DITCH the FRUSTRATION FREE PACKAGING?

How would you prefer your steelbooks packaged?

• Total voters
Having had nothing but bad experience due to Amazon's frustration free packaging (Many times), I decided to start this thread so that all those affected can comment and share their experiences about how they have suffered.

The Frustration Free Packaging is basically an easy to open box. But the edges of the cardboard that hold the steelbooks at the two sides dig in and tear the shrink wrap and even scratch/scuff the steelbook surface most of the times, if not always as shown below:

This one is supposed to be the one I received in perfect condition. Others were even worse and were returned immediately. So, this is all I could picture
IMG_0145.jpg

The corner damaged from the holders
IMG_0147.jpg

Another corner with a torn shrink wrap and minor scuffs not visible here
IMG_0152.jpg

The poll suggests the two ways you would want your steelbook packaged. Please vote for your favorite method because maybe this way we can get our message through to Amazon and call on them to change their current packaging.

And guys please feel free to post pictures of your steelbooks as well whether damaged or intact so that everyone can share their opinions on the packaging :)

EDIT: After having many questions from members here, I decided to explain how and why this Frustration Box packaging causes frustration. Well first off, I'm an international buyer and not a resident of North America or EU. Now, most of the members who have had a good experience with this packaging are the ones who got it from their respective Amazon websites either in NA or EU.

Since, it's a local delivery within the respective continents, there's gonna be no or very minimal wear/damage to the shrink wrap. But there might be some wear of the top layer of the shrink wrap (where it holds the steelbook) though it wouldn't surprise me if there's none.

But when it comes to international delivery, a lot of factors come into play ranging from distance, change of carriers, way of handling to final delivery. And what we (International buyers) get are steelbooks with torn shrink wraps, sometimes even crushed boxes EEK!

So basically, this thread is about trying to get the packaging done right with the use of bubble wrap especially for international buyers like myself. Though everyone is welcome to vote for their favorite method, but for me a few layers of bubble always help ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bd251
I got about 60 to 70 Steelbooks packed in the frustration free packing from Amazon UK, FR, ES and GER and none of it was damaged. I'm pretty happy with this kind of packaging. But I would be okay with bubble wrap and cardboard too.

Reactions: Lutzo
The 'Frustration-free' packaging causes nothing but frustration in my view. I've lost count of the steelbooks I've had to send back to Amazon due to damages caused by the packaging. I'm talking about paint rubs, torn shrink wrap, scuffs, scrapes and grooves put into both slip covers and the steels themselves.

It's an inherently bad design because the steelbook is suspended between sharp edges of rigid card, through which all the pressure is transferred if the box is compacted. That's not to mention the over-hasty employees who stuff the steels into the packaging too roughly. Out of the last Fox wave alone I had 5 copies damaged by the packaging.

The problem for Amazon is that they need a box that can be rapidly assembled and used, so they'll never go to a Play.com method of foam layers (by far the better method). However with just a small tweak to the current design most of the problems would be solved. If the edges that hold the steelbook were bevelled or angled slightly (i.e. more give in them), they wouldn't dig into the steel so much. Persuading Amazon to do that though is something else... :rolleyes:

The 'Frustration-free' packaging causes nothing but frustration in my view. I've lost count of the steelbooks I've had to send back to Amazon due to damages caused by the packaging. I'm talking about paint rubs, torn shrink wrap, scuffs, scrapes and grooves put into both slip covers and the steels themselves.

It's an inherently bad design because the steelbook is suspended between sharp edges of rigid card, through which all the pressure is transferred if the box is compacted. That's not to mention the over-hasty employees who stuff the steels into the packaging too roughly. Out of the last Fox wave alone I had 5 copies damaged by the packaging.

The problem for Amazon is that they need a box that can be rapidly assembled and used, so they'll never go to a Play.com method of foam layers (by far the better method). However with just a small tweak to the current design most of the problems would be solved. If the edges that hold the steelbook were bevelled or angled slightly (i.e. more give in them), they wouldn't dig into the steel so much. Persuading Amazon to do that though is something else... :rolleyes:

:yeahthat:

I almost forgot about the battleship steelbook I ordered from Amazon.de. I had to buy, replace and return and again buy, replace and return in the hope of finding a piece where there would be NO grooves in the slip. But after seeing about 6 such pieces EEK!, I finally gave up hope, went to eBay and got myself a perfect OCD mint steel.

I'm one of those who would pay a little extra for the peace of mind.

If your talking about the new suspended boxes then I have no issues with this whatsoever. This is an excellent packaging and so far all have arrived in perfect condition. Amazon have listened and done a fantastic job on the new packaging. I guess some people would not be happy even if they put the stellbook inside 6 boxes with bubble wrap on all of them and then arrives in a shipping container. LOL Good work amazon keep it up.

I almost forgot about the battleship steelbook I ordered from Amazon.de. I had to buy, replace and return and again buy, replace and return in the hope of finding a piece where there would be NO grooves in the slip. But after seeing about 6 such pieces EEK!, I finally gave up hope, went to eBay and got myself a perfect OCD mint steel.

Battleship!!!EEK! ?
I wouldn't have bothered finding a replacement if i were you :p

I rarely ever get these frustration free, rip open boxes anymore. My orders pretty much either come in a bubble mailer or a normal taped shut box, and believe me, i buy alot and easily spend atleast $3000-$4000 at Amazon every year, with my bookmarked HD Ninja link of course. I rarely shop at B&M stores anymore, minus stuff like groceries of course.

You can do that right now by switching your orders to Zavvi. Their packaging is modelled on Play's, and although it's not quite so thickly padded it still provides good protection. I've yet to receive any damaged steels from them since they started using it. And unlike the Amazon boxes, you're unlikely ever to get any damages caused by the packaging!

Reactions: The Rainmaker

I agree;) doubt anything will change though

You can do that right now by switching your orders to Zavvi. Their packaging is modelled on Play's, and although it's not quite so thickly padded it still provides good protection. I've yet to receive any damaged steels from them since they started using it. And unlike the Amazon boxes, you're unlikely ever to get any damages caused by the packaging!

That's what I do when buying UK steelbook(s). The only problem I face is from Amazon DE, IT, ES, CA & US.

And thanks mate! A good advice is always appreciated :thumbs:

You can't beat the Play.com packaging as it is the right size and highly reusable. I like amazon's boxes too bt you have to polybag sealed Steelbooks to ensure that the shrink wrapping is in tact and stuff some cushioning materials surrounding the Steelbook so that it is well protected.

Maybe Amazon can do that if nothing else. That saves time on their part and frustration on our part ;).

I guess I'm the only one reading this thread that remembers the days of large group buys where amazon would just throw a bunch of steelbooks in a box, loose with no protection.

Got dents, dings, floating discs...you name it - it was a crap shoot.

Last GB I did, before the rates changed, it came in the frustration free packaging, and due to the "oversized" amount of boxes, they all arrived mint without problems.

Is it the best packaging they could do? No.

But IMO, it is a MAJOR improvement where it was back in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

But IMO, it is a MAJOR improvement where it was back in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

A major improvement no doubt, since what we had before was abysmal, but the title 'Frustration Free' packaging couldn't be more ironic, as it's probably the most frustrating packaging there is. With just a little more thought and care, it could have been a complete solution. As it is, the design protects from major damage only by very often inflicting minor damage. Not much more frustrating than that. :rolleyes:

A major improvement no doubt, since what we had before was abysmal, but the title 'Frustration Free' packaging couldn't be more ironic, as it's probably the most frustrating packaging there is. With just a little more thought and care, it could have been a complete solution. As it is, the design protects from major damage only by very often inflicting minor damage. Not much more frustrating than that. :rolleyes:

:hilarious:

I've not had any problems with with cardboard steelbook boxes so far, but having always ordered more than one they come in a larger box, so are double protected. Play's packaging was the best, but I've had a steelbook from zavvi in a cardboard 'envelope' horribly dented.

Play's packaging was the best, but I've had a steelbook from zavvi in a cardboard 'envelope' horribly dented.

You were unlucky there. Zavvi have switched to a packaging that's based on Play's (with foam padding) and although it's not quite as cushioned it still works well. Better than Amazon's in my view, because it doesn't put any put pressure on any single part of the steelbook.

If your talking about the new suspended boxes then I have no issues with this whatsoever. This is an excellent packaging and so far all have arrived in perfect condition. Amazon have listened and done a fantastic job on the new packaging. I guess some people would not be happy even if they put the stellbook inside 6 boxes with bubble wrap on all of them and then arrives in a shipping container. LOL Good work amazon keep it up.

I must admit that since I wrote this I have received about another ten or so steelies from amazon and every single one has arrived in perfect condition. No tears,splits or dents. This box works perfectly good work amazon. A perfect solution to steel packaging and Eco friendly too. Great stuff.

I must admit that since I wrote this I have received about another ten or so steelies from amazon and every single one has arrived in perfect condition. No tears,splits or dents. This box works perfectly good work amazon. A perfect solution to steel packaging and Eco friendly too. Great stuff.

Ok so here you must be referring to Amazon UK, right?

Since it's a local delivery to you, there's gonna be no or very minimal wear/damage to the shrink wrap. If you look closely, there might be some wear of the top layer of the shrink wrap (where it holds the steelbook) though it wouldn't surprise me if there's none. Here I would also like to include other Amazon sites within EU because most of the buyers within EU have reported very few incidents of receiving damaged steelbooks due to this faulty packaging.

But when it comes to international delivery, a lot of factors come into play ranging from distance, change of carriers, way of handling to final delivery. And what we (International buyers) get are steelbooks with torn shrink wraps, sometimes crushed boxes even EEK!

Because in the end, there's no denying the fact that shrink wrap is a very thin sheet of plastic susceptible to tearing and this packaging has its holders made up of sharp cardboard edges that can even cut your skin if you try to run your finger over it (I did once), let alone a shrink wrap.

And there was a time when Amazon used a bubble envelope and a thick cardboard sleeve like box which they used to put in a bigger box if the order consisted of 2 or more steelbooks. I don't know what happened now. Though now they can at least put the steelbook in a poly sleeve before putting it in this box. That can minimize the damage if not prevent it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkman
Very fair point and orders which have 1000s of miles to reach their destination do deserve better packaging than orders with just a few hundred miles to go or less. That said though, luck has a big part in any delivery, local or international.

Reactions: The Rainmaker