Purchase links: Zavvi - Amazon
Price: £17.99

11376907-1224441586696433.jpg

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• Gorgeous 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Trailer
  • Deleted Scene
  • Collectors Booklet featuring an essay by Craig Ian Mann and behind the scenes imagery
11376907-5044441587012486.jpg 11376907-1004441587085419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, director Wolfgang Peterson re-shot nearly the entire film when the previous director got the boot!

Would of been interesting to see this footage if it survived, as some form of alternative cut of the movie.

Original poster artwork for the steelbook front (certainly preferable to the Australian Blu-ray cover with the extra image in the lower half also taken from an original (Spanish) poster for the film ) and same art used for the reversible sleeve of the U.K. Amaray although I do actually prefer the front cover/ratings logos artwork side of the U.K. Amaray.
Best thing I can say about the steelbook is that there is consistency of colour throughout.

AU Amaray cover ...................................U.K. Amaray reversible ..............................best of the three original film poster designs
152359_large.jpg
upload_2016-12-2_11-47-34.png
enemy_mine.jpg

Little in the way of Extras on this edition (hardly any worse in that respect than the U.S. and Australian editions) and I always like to browse the Collector's Booklets when they are supplied :thumbs:
. . . and yes, very nice to have booklets included on more releases nowadays and with none of this "only available with the first pressing" crap.

Worth a look but not if you haven't watched the film:-
[SPOILER="Disc review including film details"]http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_72/enemy_mine_blu-ray.htm[/SPOILER]

Haven't had a chance to pick up the Amaray yet so I'll pick up the steelbook first unless the Amaray hits my price point in the next month or so and then I'll pick up the steelbook second but I don't consider this in the same cult category as FRIGHT NIGHT, for example, and consequently hoping for a price drop as 2,000 copies should allow for at least GBP 12.99/14.99 in the not too distant future (IMO).
................................................................................................................................................................
The interesting title ENEMY MINE has been referenced to the following . . . and take your pick:

- A shortened form of a 4th Century BC Sanskrit proverb " The enemy of my enemy is my friend" or "two opposing parties can or should work together against a common enemy".

- More interesting title than just having "My Enemy" or "Enemy of Mine" - and nicely old fashioned - used in the famous U.S. patriotic hymn "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord" etc.

- The fact that there is an actual mine in the story and the mine is the common enemy (not a land mine, mind you, but an extracting minerals mine) where slave labour from both factions are put to work.

. . . but I suppose we should take as definitive what Barry Longyear, the writer of the short story himself, said about his title:-

"I had just gotten the general story situation clear in my mind, and was watching David Niven in The Best of Enemies on television, when the title popped into my head: "Enemy Mine." Why not "My Enemy," or "The Enemies"? I not only liked the sound of "Enemy Mine," but the construction resembled the English/Drac pidgin language the two characters used while they were learning each other's tongue."

* First publication of the story was in this magazine in September 1979 a good five years before the film.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
I've never heard of this film but thanks to Eureka/BFI/Arrow I'm discovering potential classics.
Same here... before Eureka came about I'd never even considered watching half of the films they release, but I've slowly been building my Masters of Cinema collection and most of the titles are a real treat!

Same here... before Eureka came about I'd never even considered watching half of the films they release, but I've slowly been building my Masters of Cinema collection and most of the titles are a real treat!

I still have yet to watch any of the Master of Cinema releases. I am sure I will like them as they look like good films. Love their artwork they do on the steels. Some of the best.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I still have yet to watch any of the Master of Cinema releases. I am sure I will like them as they look like good films. Love their artwork they do on the steels. Some of the best.
Sounds ridiculous now that I think about it, but that was the main reason I picked up my first MoC release... because I simply liked the artwork lol. To my surprise it also came with a fantastic film inside too! :p

• Thanks
Reactions: blu-steel
Sometimes it feels good to get away from all the CGI movies and just go back in time and watch a classic.
Definitely! Sucks to think that I only realised this a year or two ago... I've a lot of catching up to do, but so far it's been a hell of a fun journey checking out some of the more popular classics. :)

Yes, completely agree with the comments above and am a committed fan of Eureka films - in particular of most of those in their Masters of Cinema collection - and not embarrassed to admit that I've bought them since the beginning from the first 15 releases in 11mm blue Amarays (before they switched to the clear white Amarays) to boxset examples including SHOAH and the more recently released Buster Keaton classic shorts. Best upcoming release for me is undoubtedly A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (#163) due in February.
The case artworks, the dual format packaging on most, the booklets, the new scans, the evident time and effort that has gone into each and every release and not forgetting the guaranteed subtitles . . . all a joy.

Likewise a fan of BFI (and the BFI Flipside numbered spines) releases and the Artificial Eye numbered spine collection as well as the similar quality Arrow / Arrow Academy releases and not forgetting the Studio Canal dated spine Vintage Classics and the Sony white and gold glossy numbered spine slipcovered collections as well as the wonderful Studio Ghibli numbered spine collection.

Now we are fortunate enough to have some choice releases here in the U.K. from Criterion and a brilliant new label by the name of Powerhouse Films with their excellent dual format Indicator Series numbered spine collection with collector's booklets and not forgetting the boutique label Panamint Cinema.

There's also, to a lesser extent, releases from 88 Films (their Slasher and particularly their Italian film collections and other cult gems such as the PUPPET MASTER 1 - 5 films etc.), Shameless numbered spines, 101 Films with their cult films from the 1980s and many, many others.

Network/ITV studios also provide a decent selection of pre-Hollywood Hitchcock etc. and really looking forward to their complete RANDALL AND HOPKIRK (DECEASED) TV series coming to Blu-ray in the new year.

Only thing I'm missing here in the U.K. - and which I have to import from The States through Amazon UK's market place - is the more comprehensive selection of classic B&W movies available there.

In conclusion: glad to be alive at this time to get the chance to pick up some of my favourite films in HD:thumbs::)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Huguito
The film was a box office flop on release in 1985 but has become regarded as a cult film by the fans since then

There was a few films in the 80's that did not do well at the box office but years later with VHS/DVD/Blu-ray releases some of the 80's films ended up considered as classics with large cult following and strong sales on home media.

There has been some that did extremely well on VHS/DVD and make more money from home media sales than the box office takings

Sometimes it's just bad timing of the cinema release (competing with films that have a high demand for viewings) and poor marketing

• Thanks
Reactions: Huguito
Thanks! I wonder if or when Zavvi will bring back the 10% discount...
You will have to wait until some member get's a sorry we missed you email with link for 10% off and post the link on the web forum
Regular customers who order a lot don't get these emails only those that not ordered in a few months and is usually those with multiple accounts and some of the accounts not had a order in a while

Zavvi are getting wise to the use of these links as they been used by customers the link was not meant for and are now disabling the links when they see high usage of the link by lots of different customers.

The link and code is been used by regular customers instead of customers they where meant for the missed you customers

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
You will have to wait until some member get's a sorry we missed you email with link for 10% off and post the link on the web forum
Regular customers who order a lot don't get these emails only those that not ordered in a few months and is usually those with multiple accounts and some of the accounts not had a order in a while

Zavvi are getting wise to the use of these links as they been used by customers the link was not meant for and are now disabling the links when they see high usage of the link by lots of different customers.

The link and code is been used by regular customers instead of customers they where meant for the missed you customers

Zavvi were well aware of it and could've disabled it sooner, since they would allow it to be active on pre-orders minutes after going live and then deactivate it. Maybe they're testing to see if there's just as much demand without it.