digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 24th, 2014
Purchase Link: Guardians of the Galaxy
Price: £24.99
Notes: Includes 3D disc, Limited to 5,000 units
*Note: Live again as of 11/28-add both to cart from here. You should then see a 25.99 GBP discount applied in cart.

01.jpg

00.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally like it, I do understand why most dislike it though. Just wait until GOTG2 comes out with a Diskman and then GOTG3 with an iPod. What do they all share as Steelbooks...disproportions....but great possibilities for a collection of sorts :naughty:

I love it. It's a great design.

I just can't understand how anyone can think like this. Even if you like the idea of it, it's SO badly executed. They didn't have the rights to use the actual walkman from the movie so they just slapped any old cassette player on the case and hoped people wouldn't notice. Basically tenderheartbear summed it better (and much funnier) on the last page...

Reactions: lgans316
I might be being dense but how come Disney can use the Walkman in the film, but not on the steelbook? Surely they've bought the rights to use it? Or would Sony want another payday to use it on the steel?

Tbh I think Sony could do well out of this if they played it right. Let Disney use the proper image, then release a retro collectible of said Walkman with a bundled copy of Awesome Mix on cassette, maybe a pair of those funky headphones too. How cool would a shiny new Walkman and headphones look next to the steelbook if they match up?

Reactions: Andycadle84
I might be being dense but how come Disney can use the Walkman in the film, but not on the steelbook? Surely they've bought the rights to use it? Or would Sony want another payday to use it on the steel?

Tbh I think Sony could do well out of this if they played it right. Let Disney use the proper image, then release a retro collectible of said Walkman with a bundled copy of Awesome Mix on cassette, maybe a pair of those funky headphones too. How cool would a shiny new Walkman and headphones look next to the steelbook if they match up?
Great idea; have you seen that the Sony TPS-L2 (as in the model used in GotG is going for around £300 or so on eBay?? Crazy...)

Tbh, think the idea of not being able to use the image of the original Walkman due to licensing issues is ridiculous anyway, think some corporations are petty just for the sake of it...

It's possible Sony did licence its use for the movie, but I'm not convinced Disney would have to. If anything, Sony would have paid for product placement and as Sony wouldn't have gained anything from its inclusion there'd be no point.

Disney would have had to pay to use the Walkman for the steelbook (had they used it) as then they'd be using the design for monetary gain. You could argue the steelbook would sell regardless, but it would still be using someone else's intellectual property. As it is, they've designed something which is generic enough to be a personal tape player (which we tend to call Walkman's, in the same was we often call vacuum cleaners Hoovers) but doesn't use any identifiable logos or layouts.

There are also different types of licenses. You can license something for filming but that doesn't necessarily mean you have the license for reproduction on merchandise.

I like the idea of this steel and the concept behind it but I'll reserve my judgement until I see how well/badly executed it is.

Moan moan moan. But not one of you will genuinely cancel it. Saying you will but doing is different.

Can't speak for everyone, but I've already said I'm keeping my order, cos it's the only steelbook option I have for this film in order to maintain a complete Marvel collection. Still entitled to moan though, esepcially as a paying customer ;)

Last edited:
Moan moan moan. But not one of you will genuinely cancel it. Saying you will but doing is different.

Shows how much you know, mate. Why is it so hard to believe people will go ahead and cancel their orders??? I had 2 copies ordered before the art was revealed. Both now cancelled. I'd rather have an annoying gap in my Marvel collection than pay good money for this attrocity, and I suspect that many of the people who are keeping their orders are only doing so for similar OCD reasons, not because they like the art. Of course there are some people that would go all out to defend this steelbook even if the art was just a massive brown skidmark across the front....

Shows how much you know, mate. Why is it so hard to believe people will go ahead and cancel their orders??? I had 2 copies ordered before the art was revealed. Both now cancelled. I'd rather have an annoying gap in my Marvel collection than pay good money for this attrocity, and I suspect that many of the people who are keeping their orders are only doing so for similar OCD reasons, not because they like the art. Of course there are some people that would go all out to defend this steelbook even if the art was just a massive brown skidmark across the front....

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: