• I am not sure if I will-I am on the fence

Votes: 20 7.7%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hey ninjas!

A fun poll for you to comment and share whether you've upgraded your equipment/discs, and why you have or haven't done so.

Have fun!

DB

uhd1-jpg.253454

Attachments

• uhd1.jpg
    uhd1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 4,774
Last edited:
If someone makes a 4k blu ray megachanger that will pique my interest. I keep thinking I should buy another Sony BDP-CX7000 'just in case'

i just bought sony XBR55X850D and i pre ordered xbox one S 4K player i will have it in less 2 week and after that i will check which one will be my first 4K movie
I've been looking at the X85 too in the UK, read reviews and they're saying it's decent but the blacks are meant to be disappointing what do you think? Have you done the firmware update to get the HDR?

Have taken the plunge completely. I'm 3D's biggest fan. Having said that, 4K as subtle as it may be to others, truly is a remarkable leap on the level of clarity depending on the content just like blu rays vary as well. Go take a look at Lucy on 4K and you will understand the excitement from people who are raving about it. As with new technology, there are new things you will have to get accustomed to. "Local dimming" is one feature they all have that determines and separates the outstanding tvs from the just "OK" sets. This is the one feature that you have to do a little bit of studying about to purchase a 4K TV set. That is the best advice I can give when and if you're thinking about getting one.

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
I currently have not- disc prices and equipment are just too expensive at the moment. I just upgraded my receiver to a 9.2 Dolby Atmos version and that has really changed my enjoyment of the home theater experience. I just can't toss my projector and 110" screen for a tv and blu-ray player that I may or may not be able to see the difference in.

I finally took the plunge. I was at Best Buy and bought an "open box" Sony XBR-48X800D Ultra HD/HDR television for my bedroom along with a Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-Ray player (which was on sale for $80 less than regular retail). I've been buying the 4K Ultra HD blu-ray movies for the past few months because I could still enjoy the Blu-Ray version on my 2-year old television and have the 4K disc ready for when I upgraded. The blacks are incredible, and the picture quality is excellent when playing my 4K movies... but it's interesting to note that older movies look sharper too although I watched Patton last night (just a standard blu-ray) and you could clearly see the adhesive under Patton's eyebrows during his close-up at the beginning of the film. Some similar details might hurt older films but the rest of the movie was first rate. If prices come down at Christmas, I may get a larger 4K for my living room too.

Here is my take...I am no rush at all, when it comes to the TV set but for the projector in my basement that is another story. I do believe that you need a decent screen and correct view distance to take advantage of the 4K effect. I am looking into the PJ market, but a native 4K panel is way out of my league when it comes to money atm. Here in Sweden you will have to give more than USD 8000 for a 4K native panel PJ. I will however take a look at a upcoming Epson PJ that has pixelshift system to reproduce close to a 4K picture. If I cant see the difference at 120 inch screen...perfect as it only will cost sub USD 3000. Then I will wait for Santa to bring me the coming UHD player from Oppo!

I will be getting a 4K TV simply because it'll soon become the standard TV and you'll only be able to buy 4k TV's but my viewing will still be blu-rays and laserdiscs....
Don't see me buying 4k discs (or player) even by this time next year. And that reminds me I'll have find out if there is a processor that can upscale S-VHS to HDMI. going to be fun....

I will be getting a 4K TV simply because it'll soon become the standard TV and you'll only be able to buy 4k TV's but my viewing will still be blu-rays and laserdiscs....
Don't see me buying 4k discs (or player) even by this time next year. And that reminds me I'll have find out if there is a processor that can upscale S-VHS to HDMI. going to be fun....

Ah..laserdisc collector like myself! If you are looking for a processor (S video to HDMI) I can tell you that many of the ld players actually give a better PQ from the composite out. I have a linedoubler first after my LD and then a Gefen composite to hdmi upscaler. I can also go componen out right after the linedoubler.

Ah..laserdisc collector like myself! If you are looking for a processor (S video to HDMI) I can tell you that many of the ld players actually give a better PQ from the composite out. I have a linedoubler first after my LD and then a Gefen composite to hdmi upscaler. I can also go componen out right after the linedoubler.

I've been told because I have both an X9 and and S9 I will get better results from using S-VHS so you can you give me a link to a end video processor that does the job?

I bought a 4K tv last year, its the 55" LG UF850v and its fantastic, the full resolution 3D is amazing but it lacks HDR.

Im hesitant to buy a UHD Player as im not sure if it will truly look better over standard bluray because of the lack of HDR support.

Some people say UHD Blu's look fanrastic without hdr, some say they cant see the difference, i really dont want to risk splashing out money on a player if i wont see the difference.